Whats the best beer you've had & why?

cammas

Seamstress
Horribly sweet, the JS one goes betterer.
I actually have to retract my quote, as I found out this one is actually not brewed and they do small batch runs of the actual brewed one, this one is spirit based.
May the brew gods forgive my sin.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So many good breweries down there, my favourites are Beerfarm, Cheeky Monkey, Rocky Ridge and the Margaret River Brewhouse.
There's also Black Brewing, Colonial, Eagle Bay, Bootleg, Cowaramup and a few others I'm probably forgetting
https://www.nannupbrewingco.com.au/ not long opened and perfect for after a day riding at Nannup. Of course, as the trails are technically not opened I can only speculate from social media posts and what I could see from the fire roads of course. Theoretically, if I had ridden some of the trails I would imagine that when they do open later in the month they'll be awesome!

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I actually have to retract my quote, as I found out this one is actually not brewed and they do small batch runs of the actual brewed one, this one is spirit based.
May the brew gods forgive my sin.
Try the Bentspoke one. It's barley based beer with ginger added. It's called Fixie for you ginger beer drinking hipsters ;)

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
https://www.nannupbrewingco.com.au/ not long opened and perfect for after a day riding at Nannup. Of course, as the trails are technically not opened I can only speculate from social media posts and what I could see from the fire roads of course. Theoretically, if I had ridden some of the trails I would imagine that when they do open later in the month they'll be awesome!
Heard good things about Tall Timbers in Manjimup too, need to get down there at some point

stirk

Burner
So many juicy and hazy IPA's around now. The problem is many are easy to drink and before you know it you're smashed.
Most taste like breakfast juice so crack one or two in the morning and enjoy your day off.

For those around Sunday Road country in southern Sydney, this is terrifyingly sessionable for 2.4 standards per can.

($40 for four)

View attachment 383431View attachment 383431View attachment 383431
As a home brewer I can confirm the costs to produce beer rises exponentially with ABV% and the hop content and also the amount of shiny stainless steel used to create the beer. Cost per can is relative and as evidence of monies spent on said beers the transaction is best kept on a cash basis.

Scott2227

Squid
Cost per can is relative and as evidence of monies spent on said beers the transaction is best kept on a cash basis.
The amount my wife spends on cosmetics, hair appointments & new dresses, the last thing she would ever do is question my beer or golf spending and risk a detailed audit of the credit card!

Even when I decided to take up MTB during lockdown and left home to buy an $1100 bike and came home with an $1800 bike, she bit her tongue and was just like “cool, I’m happy for you”, then probably jumped on to Mecca.com.au to square up!

cammas

Seamstress
So went to the GABS festival today with work, tried a few different things some stouts, sour’s etc so much weird stuff going on like smoothies with beer but actually had a really good one or two, but the one I went back for seconds was a St Andrews Beach El Charro Mexican Lager. A corn rice beer with agave lime and sea salt only 4.5%, in summer this thing would be a real treat, it was good in typical cold Melbourne weather so would be great on a hot day.
https://standrewsbeachbrewery.com.au/product/el-charro-mexican-lager-2/

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
A triple-header.... Brick Lane's "Trilogy of Fear" imperial stouts.

Part 1: Baba Yaga - bourbon barrel-aged Russian Imperial Stout. As with all imperial stouts, this is thick, black and syrupy, notably sweeter than inferior beers. The bourbon barrel aging is quite distinct with the sweet smokiness of the spirit coming through. At 12.4%abv it's the heaviest of the three.

Part 2: The Abyss - Amburana aged imperial stout. Amburana is an aromatic brazilian timber, imparting a vanilla custard flavour, allegedly. This imperial stout is aged in casks made from the stuff. I couldn't pick anything specifically pertaining to the wood, and at 10%abv is the "lightest" of the three. However it maintains the luscious thick, black, syrupy richness, therefore it is still a Fucking Amazing Beer.

Part 3: Leviathan - another bourbon barrel aged monster, but this time also infused with vanilla and cacao. It's my pick of the three flavour-wise, but really they're all fucking immensely impressive. At 12.0% abv it's a touch lighter than Baba Yaga, but still a huge beer.

Last edited:

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered

Part 1: Baba Yaga - bourbon barrel-aged Russian Imperial Stout. As with all imperial stouts, this is thick, black and syrupy, notably sweeter than inferior beers. The bourbon barrel aging is quite distinct with the sweet smokiness of the spirit coming through. At 12.4%abv it's the heaviest of the three.

Part 2: The Abyss - Amburana aged imperial stout. Amburana is an aromatic brazilian timber, imparting a vanilla custard flavour, allegedly. This imperial stout is aged in casks made from the stuff. I couldn't pick anything specifically pertaining to the wood, and at 10%abv is the "lightest" of the three. It is still a Fucking Amazing Beer.

Part 3: Leviathan - another bourbon barrel aged monster, but this time also infused with vanilla and cacao. It's my pick of the three flavour-wise, but really they're all fucking immensely impressive. At 12.0% abv it's a touch lighter than Baba Yaga, but still a huge beer.
Where did you manage to find all 3 in stock?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
My local has two of the three, but Part 3 "Leviathan" proved hard to find, even getting some dud leads on Dan's website, with shops showing they had stock but turned out not to. Got it in the end though, and fortunately not absurdly far from home. :D

rockmoose

My local has two of the three, but Part 3 "Leviathan" proved hard to find, even getting some dud leads on Dan's website, with shops showing they had stock but turned out not to. Got it in the end though, and fortunately not absurdly far from home. :D
So you saved the other 2 until you could complete the triumvirate? That is some fine diligence.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Purvis cellars in Melb, VIC has a big selection of craft beers, stouts and such. I think they do online sales now.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Nah, not quite. Had the first two split over the past week or so, then set about finding the third. Once I found it I snagged a 4-pak, so got a few in reserve. The other two still seem reasonably easy to find, so I'll grab a few more. ;)

rockmoose

Might be worth seeing if Belair Fine Wines has some. They stock all sorts on their Great Wall of Beer!
I'm really not going to hunt too hard. If they were easily available, I'd grab some, because they sound right in my winter wheelhouse. But as I still have 3/4 of a carton of sparkling ale, which I was given for Christmas 2019 or 20?? And 3/4 of a 4 pack of Pirate Life from some time last year, it's not too urgent.

creaky

XMAS Plumper

Part 2: The Abyss - Amburana aged imperial stout. Amburana is an aromatic brazilian timber, imparting a vanilla custard flavour, allegedly. This imperial stout is aged in casks made from the stuff. I couldn't pick anything specifically pertaining to the wood, and at 10%abv is the "lightest" of the three. However it maintains the luscious thick, black, syrupy richness, therefore it is still a Fucking Amazing Beer.

I hope you didn't have all three of those in a row !

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Brick Lane have a new "Trilogy of Fear", which has only been out a few weeks, so should be reasonably-well available. I'll update this post as I go, because I haven't had them all yet....

Chapter 1, "Hush Little Baby": labelled as "Voodoo Imperial Stout", over the normal rich syrupiness that characterises all Imperials, this has strong overtones of resinous conifer wood smoke, with a bit of vanilla & cacao mixed in. Not as sweet as other Imperials, the smoke, resin & spice are the dominant flavours. At 11.1% abv it is a big brew, but slightly tamer than the previous Trilogy.