Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Something wrong - they were softly sprung, but handled well for what they were.
Yeah, I shouldn't be so rude about it actually. Had pretty impressive build quality (not a squeak or rattle from the interior and that's despite me pulling it apart to put a fully sik stereo in it). But those 2.6 Astrons were slugs.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I'll have you know the torsion beam in my Kia is very similar to a live axle. :(

It's a shame really, really good car let down by crappy handling. The platform itself seems to have the potential - They've just gone for a very Anglo-American "understeer is safe" tune, coupled with a torsion-bar rear that bucks like a bronco anytime it encounters a square edge. Train tracks are particular "interesting", and heaven forbid I ever encounter train tracks while in a corner. :eek:
Yeah, its all in the tune. The non-sport Megane is a pretty decent handler but nothing particularly special (although its torsion beam rear end doesn't do what your Kia does), but the Sport versions are worlds apart and very very good indeed. Bushs, spring rates, shock setting - can transform a basic design to magic, and vice versa....

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
And to be fair to Ford Oz, the leaf spring live axle in the last of the Falcons was bloody impressive for what it was. A design that dates back many hundreds of years was made to be mostly very civilised. It was only on the limit it threw the towel in.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Lol. Used to drive AU2 and BA wagons a thousand kms a week all over Victoria back when they were new and they were the fleet cars for a job at the time.

Big mid corner potholes at highways speeds were “interesting” as the whole rear axle left the ground and the rear started to come around….
I see you, and raise you a XE Wagon with no power steering and three on the tree.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
My torsion bar rear-end Kia does this. If the car was IRS, it'd be awesome - but the torsion bar is arse. Probably highlighted more so by the fact I moved to it from a very sweet handling '09 Civic sedan...

...and I like to push hard in the corners.
Sounds like you need an old-school Mini with "Hydrolastic" s'pension.... ;) Inherently progressive rubber cone spring in each corner with front-rear linked hydraulic damping each side. Rather wafts along in normal situations, but when thrown at a corner, the hydro stiffens both ends, so it gets really planted when you want it. :D

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Sounds like you need an old-school Mini with "Hydrolastic" s'pension.... ;) Inherently progressive rubber cone spring in each corner with front-rear linked hydraulic damping each side. Rather wafts along in normal situations, but when thrown at a corner, the hydro stiffens both ends, so it gets really planted when you want it. :D
I only learned of that setup while watching (half) an episode of Wheeler Dealers in the lunchroom a month or so back. Wonderfully simple. I’m o e of those weird tall guys that loves small cars so I sort of already wish I had an old-school Mini (even if I doubt I could fit in one comfortably).

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I only learned of that setup while watching (half) an episode of Wheeler Dealers in the lunchroom a month or so back. Wonderfully simple. I’m o e of those weird tall guys that loves small cars so I sort of already wish I had an old-school Mini (even if I doubt I could fit in one comfortably).
I'm one of those weird guys that enjoys actually driving a car, so I'd love to have one too. There were a couple of them floating around my extended family when I was much shorter. There's a different pair still getting around town now.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I don't think anyone can "comfortably" fit in a Mini, however for a tiny car they're strangely big inside.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I can get you into an S replica...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
For free? Wow, thank you!
Free but it will cost you about $30k in graft.
I feel like I want to know more about this.
Work wagon chasing a work motorcycle (me) over a big hump in the road. We were looking for parts in the storage yard and heading back to the office. My helmet strap broke so I pulled over and the wagon soared past at eye level. A few years dust was liberated on landing. Front end was bent something chronic. Couldn't keep tyres on it. Alignment data all sorts of wrong. -5 camber one side. Sold the car quickly only to find someone in Bris office bought it to flip. Spent $3 or 4k on repairs so made a loss (suck shit) and asked me if it had been in an accident or hit a roo. No... not that I remember. Definitely no animal strikes.