DIY Fox footstud removal tools

teK--

Eats Squid
Screw paying $80 for each of these from Fox...

The foot nuts I had on an older fork were getting mangled by hitting a socket on them, so new ones were ordered.

(Also cannot just hammer the bottom of the bare air shaft stud, as the Smashpot has a needle adjuster in the middle).

Bought some cheap deep sockets and just epoxied the mangled nuts in them.

Total cost, $20 for sockets, $30 for new foot nuts. Two tools made for $50. Win.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone know the thread size/pitch? I feel like a alu tube with threads tapped into it would suffice?

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fox has been doing this for as long as they have made mtb suspension.
I am making my own 'trashpot' coil conversion using an old fox 36 damper as the body/ spring guide. Both ends of the damper rod have different, and non standard thread sizes, as well as the main piston/ hbo has yet another thread size!!

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmm. Reckon something 3D printed in nylon or pla would be tough enough? Adding your own non-standard threads to Fusion360 isn't too difficult.

teK--

Eats Squid
Hmm. Reckon something 3D printed in nylon or pla would be tough enough? Adding your own non-standard threads to Fusion360 isn't too difficult.
Nah it would probably deform or shatter. I saw someone 3D printed some wiper seal press tools, and the thing sheared off and got stuck in the leg.

goobags

Likes Dirt
Nah it would probably deform or shatter. I saw someone 3D printed some wiper seal press tools, and the thing sheared off and got stuck in the leg.
Wouldn’t matter if it did break. Everything is external so not getting lost inside the lower. Also doesn’t need to rely on the thread, provided there is no needle valve, to actually transfer the force.

Someone has modelled a design and uploaded to thingiverse. I have hit a few of my prints with hammers and provided they infill percentage is high enough it is surprising what they can take. I’m saying that I’ll just keep clobbering the foot nut with a socket, works for me.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3371521

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk