Should I buy this?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
This should probably go in the confessions thread, but I'm considering getting a road bike.....

Why? I miss riding them, despite how miserable most road cyclists make it look, road bikes are a stupid amount of fun imo. I haven't had one for several years but I've been idly looking at the secondhand market for a while, and this popped up around a week ago. Thanks to the couple of you I've already PM'd and hassled for opinions, but I'm still wavering. Any road bike I do get will mainly be used for commuting, exploring and going for rides with other roadie mates that could get a bit lengthy.

Good bits: Spec looks pretty solid. My last road bike had Fulcrum Racing somethings (5s I think) and I could not fault them, so the wheelset is a semi-known quantity. Groupset is a mongrel collection of mostly Ultegra 6800 from the looks of it which should more than do the job. I've always liked those twisty framed Lynskey designs, and titanium largely neuters concerns I'd have about frame longevity. Also comes with a warranty. Sizing looks good (i.e. it's big enough both in inseam, stack height and probably reach / ETT).

Less good bits: it's definitely a little dog eared from more detailed photos I've been sent - mostly just wear to the drivetrain that's probably reflected in the price. Really don't have space for another bike so something would have to go to make way for it. Also around double my intended budget, but I'll find an excuse for that because bike.

Anything I'm missing? I'm not fussed it's potentially "outdated" (rim brakes, non-tapered steerer, mechanical drivetrain etc.).

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Reckon you could get a lot more bang for your buck to be honest.

I'm sure it would be a decent enough ride but it isn't exactly cheap

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

I'm sure it would be a decent enough ride but it isn't exactly cheap
To give some context. The modern version of that bike is currently USD $2475 frame only and $4275 complete with Ultegra before GST and duty, postage is free.

You can get second hand Lynskey frames from the US for a lot less but the postage could be killer https://www.theproscloset.com/collections/lynskey. A new 105 disc groupset from Merlin would be ~$1300 and wheels you could get basic DT Swiss for $240.

This bike you're looking at is obsolete in the sense that it only takes straight steerer forks and rim brakes. Easton made alloy and carbon version steerers of that fork so I would want to check which version it is.

Looking at the Pros Closet in the US, the price seems fair. The engineering and QC is solid on Lynskeys (and most US Ti bikes for that matter) whereas there is a lot of shit out there in the road market, see Hambini lay into lots of different manufacturers.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
That is pretty nice, but an Italian road bike with Campag is worth a look too.
There is a secondhand Chesini with Athena also up for grabs for similar money currently. But it's a bit more of an unknown (no idea how old it is, would wager at least 20+ years).
What do you think something like that would / should be worth?
The engineering and QC is solid on Lynskeys (and most US Ti bikes for that matter) whereas there is a lot of shit out there in the road market, see Hambini lay into lots of different manufacturers.
I'd forgotten about Hambini. So much brains mixed with 5 year old tantrums, love it.

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
There is a secondhand Chesini with Athena also up for grabs for similar money currently. But it's a bit more of an unknown (no idea how old it is, would wager at least 20+ years).
Is it steel? Late 80s to early 90s was more common before the CF period. I have a similar vintage Daccordi with Columbus SLX tubing and it is a fine bike to ride. Stable but also feels quick. You added weight for smoother ride essentially. Fulcrum wheelsets are Campag too. The Campag groupsets are all quite good, even the lower spec ones.

Just one consideration for your knees - the older groupsets have 53/39 rings with newer compacts I think are around 50/36.

Keep an eye out for an art deco period Colnago frame. These will have to go up in value as they won't make 'em like that ever again.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What do you think something like that would / should be worth?
I think you are paying for a bit of romance with the Lynskey name in this case.
Alchemy always seem to be looking for top dollar to make some money on their end.

I'd be looking for tyre clearance as a priority and disc brakes would probably be high on the list too.

Oddjob

I'd forgotten about Hambini. So much brains mixed with 5 year old tantrums, love it. Has he shredded Lynskey?
Nope but he has had a go at a Taiwanese made frame recently though. There are so many clangers amongst the carbon frames he looks at though.

His recent look at the Winspace T1500 and I CAN A22 were eye opening at how good they were.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Its a nice bike and I know you are at double what you wanted to pay but I would being going a disc 'all road/endurance' roadie, similar to a Giant Defy or even an actual CX bicycle (not gravel), clearance for 32-40mm tyres and a bit more relaxed geo than a full roadie.

I seen a good Defy disc with 105 or Rival hydro for $1200 only a few months ago.

Last edited:

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Is it steel? Late 80s to early 90s was more common before the CF period. I have a similar vintage Daccordi with Columbus SLX tubing and it is a fine bike to ride. Stable but also feels quick. You added weight for smoother ride essentially. Fulcrum wheelsets are Campag too. The Campag groupsets are all quite good, even the lower spec ones.
Link for the Chesini here. Very pretty, but as I said a bit of an unknown for me. Also the wheels don't look 90kg rider friendly.

I've had both steel and carbon road bikes before (one of each). Both were awesome. I'd probably be taking any second-hand carbon road bike to Luescher Teknik for peace of mind though.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Its a nice bike and I know you are at double what you wanted to pay but I would being going a disc 'all road/endurance' roadie, similar to a Giant Defy or even a actual CX bicycle (not gravel), clearance for 32-40mm tyres and a bit more relaxed geo than a full roadie.
I did idly look at what that same money would get new and wasn't blown away by either Canyon or Giant's offerings. Defy does look nice though.

I thought the really upright front end of that Lynskey meant for a more "relaxed" geo than the average road bike. Could be wrong.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I did idly look at what that same money would get new and wasn't blown away by either Canyon or Giant's offerings. Defy does look nice though.

I thought the really upright front end of that Lynskey meant for a more "relaxed" geo than the average road bike. Could be wrong.
Could be, not sure on the geo of the older Helix road. My mate bought a Lynskey Cooper CX and rides it everywhere, he loves it. So much so that his Spech Tarmac disc hasnt moved in about 2 years. He's doing the Mawson with me in just over a week on it.

Was going to say... not new, secondhand, but theres no difference in price at the moment.

Oddjob

Link for the Chesini here. Very pretty, but as I said a bit of an unknown for me. Also the wheels don't look 90kg rider friendly.

I've had both steel and carbon road bikes before (one of each). Both were awesome. I'd probably be taking any second-hand carbon road bike to Luescher Teknik for peace of mind though.
Oh god it's got a quill stem and those wheels just scream avoid.