Electric Vehicles etc

mark22

Likes Dirt
I used to visit a customer's site that processes farmed Skippy's for leather goods. All Skippy's bits that wasn't leather was sold to a joint making carbon neutral biodiesel. Win win.

People buying Gucci jackets (and those buying motorcycle leathers) get what they want and the rest of Skippy isn't just going to landfill!
Huh farmed Skippy's am I missing something here do you mean farmed kangaroos?

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Where in SA be that mithical Kangaroo farm/s.? Imagine being a rousabout there.
Nup no kangaroo farming in Australia, plenty culling though, for the meat trade and leather goods.
I used the term "farming", and I used it very loosely. Possibly I should've used the term harvested which is something done in farming.

Of course it's not a kangaroo farm like dairy, sheep etc.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
A couple of peeps on the EV forums have been discussing using hub motors in a trailer with batteries and solar. This dude crossed the (edit:) Canning Stock Route on a fatbike with a solar trailer: https://rideonmagazine.com.au/ebiking-the-outback/
Yep, Peter Foot’s efforts, in the extreme show it is quite possible to run a solar panel hooked up to an ebike and travel great distances.

On pavement, a commuter ebike pedal assist is in about the 8wh/km range with about a 25km/h average speed. These numbers are battery energy output numbers

(I’m getting about 12-14 Wh/km on the turbo levo on single track by a river for an average speed of 28km/h)

8 x 25 = 200Wh

We now have solar panels in the 22-23% efficiency range. Let’s assume we are in the centre of Australia like Peter Foot. Let’s assume no batteries for energy storage. We have about 1000 watts a square meter of solar irradiance in the usable spectrum for our solar panels at noon in summer. Let’s assume we have an 85% conversion efficiency because we need an inverter to regulate our solar panels output for our 62v bafang hub drive motor, but if we are serious, later let’s match pv and motor voltages for efficiency gains.

200/0.85=235wh

We need about 235 wh from our panel, which equates to 1.06m sq of PV to propel our flat bar commuter ebike at high noon in the centre of the country.

Jinko’s JKM450M-6TL4 panel is just over 2m sq and is 24kg with approx peak output of 440wh, and it’s $289 aud.

Numbers fundamentally work.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Yep, Peter Foot’s efforts, in the extreme show it is quite possible to run a solar panel hooked up to an ebike and travel great distances.

On pavement, a commuter ebike pedal assist is in about the 8wh/km range with about a 25km/h average speed. These numbers are battery energy output numbers

(I’m getting about 12-14 Wh/km on the turbo levo on single track by a river for an average speed of 28km/h)

8 x 25 = 200Wh

We now have solar panels in the 22-23% efficiency range. Let’s assume we are in the centre of Australia like Peter Foot. Let’s assume no batteries for energy storage. We have about 1000 watts a square meter of solar irradiance in the usable spectrum for our solar panels at noon in summer. Let’s assume we have an 85% conversion efficiency because we need an inverter to regulate our solar panels output for our 62v bafang hub drive motor, but if we are serious, later let’s match pv and motor voltages for efficiency gains.

200/0.85=235wh

We need about 235 wh from our panel, which equates to 1.06m sq of PV to propel our flat bar commuter ebike at high noon in the centre of the country.

Jinko’s JKM450M-6TL4 panel is just over 2m sq and is 24kg with approx peak output of 440wh, and it’s $289 aud.

Numbers fundamentally work.
Numbers always work, it is the people using them that fuck up. ;)

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Bloody well hope so. A shit-tonne of infrastructure out our way would be a good start.
I had a look at the Victorian charge point map over the weekend and was surprised how few options there were regionally. Even large hub towns have none in many places. Hope a lot changes over the next few years.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
No dont mean that .
I mean that making predictions about laws 13 years out is good but tech could change dramatically by then and prices of EVs could drop dramatically, so no good handwringing about them being too expensive?
Also good to point out to ICE users that a curtain could fall bringing their value down.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I had a look at the Victorian charge point map over the weekend and was surprised how few options there were regionally. Even large hub towns have none in many places. Hope a lot changes over the next few years.
East of the Hume hwy like mansfield / Mt Buller you have to plan to stay at a motel for the night to charge.