Five ten shoe sole splitting issue - suggestions?

jestr

Squid
Hi all,
Ive been checking out five ten shoes for 4X and have seen reviews where the soles on the freeride series split in two. The glue comes undone on the two piece sole and the sidewall fills with mud etc. Most of the reviews were a few years old and am wondering if the "freeride" series of shoe still have issues?

Ive noticed the "spitfire" series has a one piece molded sole and am considering them as a lighter alternative to the chunkier "Impact 2" or "Karver" but which five ten shoe do you think would be better suited to 4X?

Thanks for your time,

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ive got two pair of the freeriders, i got a set so that i had something that i could use for riding but still wander the street or something in and not look like a tard, got them, and they were 200% better than the photo showed, so i bought a second pair the same, just to keep as a casual shoe. the ones i use for just riding now are covered in dirt etc and get cleaned every now and then, they dont have much of an issue with failing sole, or side wall of the sole, had them for 10months now. the ones i use for casual and as new still.

chris95

Likes Dirt
I pretty sure that it was the first version produced that had this problem, I have 2 mates that bought the revised version(most recent as in about a year ago) and theres are just as fine as my impacts after alot of Dh riding, So I think there a good strong shoe

jestr

Squid
Thanks for your info.

I have seen the one piece sole advertised on the spitfires but the ads for the freerider2011 mtb shoe doesnt mention the one piece sole. I just hope that the US store i order them from doesnt stitch me up and slip me a pair of older models that have the two piece sole, looks like they carried forward the same colour scheme.

Thank for your help,

poita

Likes Dirt
Thought I might as well use an old thread, since it's the same topic. Go thread digging :dig:

I have a pair of 510 Karvers that I have taken onto the trails about 3 times and used on bikes paths/road for maybe 5 hours. The sole is coming away from the upper at the toe and on the outside and rapidly getting worse. Have already started down the warranty path, but want to know if anyone else has had this issue? I love the shoes, but if they get replaced and the new pair do this again I am going to be really annoyed... I noticed the impacts have a near-identical sole. Has anyone had a problem with those?(figure there might be more experience with those...)

macguffin

Likes Dirt
On my 3rd pair of 5 10s in 7 years. 2 x impacts and 1 pair of freeriders. No problems at all with the souls coming apart. Solid shoes. Sorry can't comment on the Karver models. Be surprised it it was common problem, sounds like you may just have a dud pair!

Link

Likes Dirt
I had a pair of Karvers with exactly the same issue - really disappointing as the I ran Impacts for years before I got these and had absolutely no issues. Quality seems to have slipped since 5/10 were bought out by Adidas.

Kingshill

Likes Dirt
Contact Adhesive

I have the same issue with my Karvers. Been told to use contact adhesive - the glue you laminex things with.

Will try and let you know how I go.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Unfortunately this is a common problem with lots of shoes + boots made cheaply in Asia.
After a while esp if they get wet they let go.
I wouldnt recommend contact adhesive.
Have done heaps of repairs using urethane glue, its excellent clear coloured eg Seamseal brand .
Usually used for wader repairs , tent seams etc
Just clean both sides, use sand paper if possible to rough it up + gently clamp or hold it in place by wrapping duct tape around the shoe for > 24 hrs .

pravy

Squid
I’ve got a pair of Impacts that were bought 3 months ago. After a tiny crash the sole started to come away from the upper part. Thought that this had happened as a result of the crash but now both shoes have exactly the same issue. Unfortunately I’ve lost an invoice so won’t be able to get my money back. I’ll have to try to fix them. By the way thanks for the advice Rowdyfalt.

Great, comfy shoes but not very solid.

Although saying so my friend has Impacts and never has any problem with them.

stoo

Likes Dirt
The uppers of my old impacts are still perfect after a couple of years of use ( pedal pins have worn right through the base sole layer though ).
The next pair that I bought are falling to bits after 6 months-ish? The sole is falling off from the toe back.

Kingshill

Likes Dirt
Unfortunately this is a common problem with lots of shoes + boots made cheaply in Asia.
After a while esp if they get wet they let go.
I wouldnt recommend contact adhesive.
Have done heaps of repairs using urethane glue, its excellent clear coloured eg Seamseal brand .
Usually used for wader repairs , tent seams etc
Just clean both sides, use sand paper if possible to rough it up + gently clamp or hold it in place by wrapping duct tape around the shoe for > 24 hrs .
Ill try that then, where do you get it?

poita

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all the replies. I was tempted to go down the glue path when it started, but it has rapidly worsened to the point where I won't be able to glue it properly unless I tear the whole sole off and start again!
Mine haven't been wet either, in fact hardly used at all!

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Glue is called aquaseal or seamseal its urethane not polyurethane can buy it at outdoor type shops.
Yes you may need to pull most of the sole off but it will be better than ever when repaired.

ausdb

Being who he is
Necropost time!
The soles on my sons old 5.10 Karvers are coming adrift so this seemed to be the most relevant thread. Is this still the best stuff to use to reattach them?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Unfortunately the karvers are just too old a shoe and any attempt to glue will ultimately lead to failure. I've had 3 sets that I've had to give up on, repair after repair has fallen apart.

The foamy cushiony bit just doesn't age well and starts to degrade. Silicone and Trex grip (super sticky sikaflax) will get you out of a bind, but it'll fall apart again and you'll just end up adding layer on layer.

I'll dig out my favourite set later, they're more silicone than shoe

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk