You laugh you lose

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Funnily enough there's this section in the budget papers...

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
I didn't think they listed which companies got which subsidies in the budget? That is usually through tax returns which are almost impossible to get hold of and interpret. To my knowledge but probably off the mark.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I didn't think they listed which companies got which subsidies in the budget? That is usually through tax returns which are almost impossible to get hold of and interpret. To my knowledge but probably off the mark.
No, but they list which tax subsidies cost how much. You can then compare it to the companys' annual reports to make some educated guesses.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
No, but they list which tax subsidies cost how much. You can then compare it to the companys' annual reports to make some educated guesses.

I guess I'm sceptical of Treasury and their costings and modelling, they always seem a little optimistic. Growth, GDP etc for forecasting the budget rarely stand up to even the most basic scrutiny.

Edit: I recognise reporting and forecasting are completely different parts of the Budget and you are completely correct on the reporting side. Just got a bit carried away, nothing like bashing the Treasury!

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I guess I'm sceptical of Treasury and their costings and modelling, they always seem a little optimistic. Growth, GDP etc for forecasting the budget rarely stand up to even the most basic scrutiny.

Edit: I recognise reporting and forecasting are completely different parts of the Budget and you are completely correct on the reporting side. Just got a bit carried away, nothing like bashing the Treasury!
Forecasting is bloody hard! Ultimately the best you can do is use the best tools and data you have available.

Treasury systematically under estimated the impact of the mining boom all through the 2010s because they simply couldn't believe the level of year on year growth.

In saying that, the Treasury of today isn't the same quality as the 90s powerhouse.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Forecasting is bloody hard! Ultimately the best you can do is use the best tools and data you have available.

Treasury systematically under estimated the impact of the mining boom all through the 2010s because they simply couldn't believe the level of year on year growth.

In saying that, the Treasury of today isn't the same quality as the 90s powerhouse.

Yeah Treasury today seems to be more worried about hitting political targets than getting it right.