returning after 12 years.. not sure what to get.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
That's why I actually have two :)

My original XL is still in MTB trim, and very much original with the Marzocchi Z2s still working superbly. Only change is a set of wider bars on a shorter stem.

I bought a second as a parts bike a few years back, supposedly XL but turned out to be L. That one now has some Surly Troll forks, a 130mm stem and the original flat bars. It was my commute-basher for a few years, known affectionately as "The Tank." My partner says it's ugly...

Anyhow, enough digression. 29" dual susp is where it's at.
Ah, a fellow GT fan - I have my GT issues also. I put Marzocchi MXC airs on the Zanger bike and they aren't the most refined fork but always worked well. I do prefer an L but the Timberline is an XL and still feels ok. I use it mainly for light trail or nancy cyclepath rides now.
GTXizang.jpg
JustinTimberline2.jpg

I almost forgot all about 29"er duallys now :D

Chamelion

Likes Dirt
I realised I was ahead on my old personal loan so if I'm content to be in a little more debt i can redraw from that and potentially have 2k for a dualie and a few hundred for something else. Maybe a decade old hardtail that's still in good order?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
If you get a good hardtail with quality components you can splash out on a dually frame later if you decide to keep riding. You will get a better hardtail than dually for any budget. Just future proof, that is keep as many new frames in the mix by going boost or at least boost compatible hubs. Sram xd driver is probably a better bet than either Shimano alternatives. Probably. Again you can buy Shimano HG if the hub allows Shimano microspline or Sram XD later if you choose to go 1x12. I am stuck with HG given my wheelsets but I am happy running 1x11.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I realised I was ahead on my old personal loan so if I'm content to be in a little more debt i can redraw from that and potentially have 2k for a dualie and a few hundred for something else. Maybe a decade old hardtail that's still in good order?
now your're getting the idea....two bikes is a start, and in no time you will be like the rest of of on here...a garage full of bikes and tubs full of ill fitting parts....WELCOME BACK!
Have you sussed out Bicycles Online for any Polygon runouts, they are pretty good value to get you going again

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Ex-Vice Captain's not only came out of the box with a square taper but a 28t chainring as well. Bit useless around here but was useful in Melrose. And locked in to FSA, which I can only find from the Germans.
A 170mm Shimano Deore crankset with a 32T 96mm BCD ring on it arrived in my PO Box this morning...$115 from MTB Direct.

I'd be happy to send you the awfully finished eBay Snail brand hollowtech knockoff crankset that's on The Lad's bike. 40T 104BCD ring is perfect for Coomie!!

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
A 170mm Shimano Deore crankset with a 32T 96mm BCD ring on it arrived in my PO Box this morning...$115 from MTB Direct.

I'd be happy to send you the awfully finished eBay Snail brand hollowtech knockoff crankset that's on The Lad's bike. 40T 104BCD ring is perfect for Coomie!!
LOL, nearly. FSA 32t plus some other bits and pieces allegedly on its way from Spain.