Tweet Tweet

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I haven't tried at this point, but thankfully its nothing like Yeti turquoise. I had the RAL code wrong, now updated
Here's a link to a UK paint shop which sells it
I’m a doofus. Yeti Turq is 5018 and what I used. I looked back at your first post and your frame looked like Yeti Turq. 6036 is a beautiful colour. Sorry if I offended with the Yeti talk.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m a doofus. Yeti Turq is 5018 and what I used. I looked back at your first post and your frame looked like Yeti Turq. 6036 is a beautiful colour. Sorry if I offended with the Yeti talk.
I'll forgive you. It's a weird colour, it doesn't look anything like the photos IRL

Looking good. How do you find the Nobl wheels?
To be perfectly honest, I can't tell the difference between these, LB and Nextie.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We went to Hotham over the new year break and spent a day on the shuttles at Bright. We had three 14 year olds (huckwits) and a couple of pretty new riders so spent most of the time just going down Hero/Shred Kelly.
As I have said, I'm old, only have one eye and need to go to work on Monday, so 'sending it' is 100% not my thing. Having said that, after a couple of runs down to have a look at things (and pick up the pieces from a couple of crashes, more broken mechs FFS), I thought it might be time to have a crack at a few of the A lines and stop rolling/manualing the jumps.
I made plenty of mistakes but inexplicably remained upright for the entire day. The Push HC97 damper in the Pike just gets better and better the harder it's pushed and I'm sure it saved my ass a couple of times. I reckon there may be scope to add another volume spacer to the Kitsuma, but I'm reluctant to improve small bump compliance at the expense of pedal response. I managed to overshoot a couple of the large table tops to flat which was really just not that eventful, no hard bottom out just a little bit of poo coming out. By the 5th run down I hit every A line and the bike was awesome, no complaints at all.
While waiting for the shuttle at the bottom an English bloke took some pictures of it to send back to his mates in the UK who are huge Bird fans, it's the first time anyone has recognised the brand of bike, usually I get 'what the hell is that thing?'.

In summary, I haven't ridden my Paradox in 6 months and am thinking about selling it. Unless I'm riding a short 30km loop with a good smooth surface, the Paradox is just slower/harder/less comfortable in every situation. Perhaps I'll take it for a hack this arvo and try and rekindle the love. The Bird is just capable enough down hill for me and very snappy uphill and for the more XC stuff that I do.

On my things to do list:
  1. Fit seat stay protection for chain slap on the inside, it's just starting to get a couple of marks on there
  2. Investigate new brake option. The E4's have good modulation but they just aren't 'right'. Not great power and too fussy. I'm not a fan of the binary response from Shimano brakes so will have a look at Formulas or something I suppose.
  3. Probably time to look at getting a new rear tyre

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Or maybe just buy some V4 calipers?
Uberbike Race Matrix pads make a decent improvement to the braking power on the E4's. Retains most of the modualtion, but noticeably more power on a hard pull (lol). They like a new rotor though or they can be pretty warbly (think SRAM turkey 'gobble gobble' - though slighty quieter but squeakier). In theory a good sanding/scrubbing of an old rotor should work but I haven't had much luck. Soon as I put new rotors, zero issues. V4's with the current Tech 3 levers do have a bit more power, but the lever pull is slightly longer accordingly.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Uberbike Race Matrix pads make a decent improvement to the braking power on the E4's. Retains most of the modualtion, but noticeably more power on a hard pull (lol). They like a new rotor though or they can be pretty warbly (think SRAM turkey 'gobble gobble' - though slighty quieter but squeakier). In theory a good sanding/scrubbing of an old rotor should work but I haven't had much luck. Soon as I put new rotors, zero issues. V4's with the current Tech 3 levers do have a bit more power, but the lever pull is slightly longer accordingly.
Already running them across my entire fleet (and most of my mates) on your recommendation from a while ago. The rotors are 180mm Swiss Stop and have only had the Race Matrix pads on them.

There don't seem to be any caliper only options for the V4's in stock and I like the polished blingy look of the Cura4's, it's just a matter of finding some.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Already running them across my entire fleet (and most of my mates) on your recommendation from a while ago. The rotors are 180mm Swiss Stop and have only had the Race Matrix pads on them.

There don't seem to be any caliper only options for the V4's in stock and I like the polished blingy look of the Cura4's, it's just a matter of finding some.
Most likely as new Tech 4s due soon.

https://www.evocycles.co.uk/hope-tech-4-e4-silver/mpn:T4E4SL_z/

Good to hear still getting on with the bike. LoamWolf has a review seems to think climbing is so so.

https://theloamwolf.com/2022/01/05/review-bird-aether-9c/

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
He's 189cm tall and is riding a Medium Long? I'm 178cm and ride a Large! I reckon the Kitsuma and quality wheelset on mine add considerably to the climbing performance compared to his 'pre production' model.
Certainly compared to my Optic the Bird is a fucking jet, and people reckon the Optics climb well.

The new Hope stuff looks nice I'll keep an eye on production.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
He's 189cm tall and is riding a Medium Long? I'm 178cm and ride a Large! I reckon the Kitsuma and quality wheelset on mine add considerably to the climbing performance compared to his 'pre production' model.
Certainly compared to my Optic the Bird is a fucking jet, and people reckon the Optics climb well.

The new Hope stuff looks nice I'll keep an eye on production.
First page says ML, typo? New Hope brakes look great. If they have a tad more power I will be happy.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Good chance I'm going to regret this @komdotkom but how tall are you? Also how much of the ride quality is from the frame and how much is the parts do you think?

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm 178cm, long body short legs. I'm usually between a medium and large, this fits like a glove.
We should meet at Bright (1/2 way) for a bike swap ride

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No much has changed with this, I finally got rid of the Hope E4's and put polished Cura4's on it. I went with Galfer pads because that's all I could get at short notice, they seem pretty good. I like the modulation and power of the Cura4's, heaps more power than the Hopes without the light switch feel of servo-wave Shimanos. I'm not 100% convinced that it's not dragging pads, but I'm not getting a lot of kms in at the moment so probably just feeling old and slow (or older and slower?).
My only gripe with the Formula's is the match maker is not only stupid expensive for what it is, it doesn't really put the shifter in the ideal spot.
I should probably send the Kitsuma back to NSD for a birthday, I'm considering a TTX for it so I can swap when the Kitsuma is being serviced given the short intervals. I've been super impressed by the TTX on my son's Privateer so will keep my eyes open for one in 205x55mm.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
My only gripe with the Formula's is the match maker is not only stupid expensive for what it is, it doesn't really put the shifter in the ideal spot.
A Burner offered me the Formula matchmakers for free and thanks to him for the offer... I just went with normal clamp shifter and dropper, works pretty well.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That would be my preference too but I've got a stupid XTR shifter which doesn't take a clamp. Wolftooth is a clamp on job.

Scotty675

Cable thief
That would be my preference too but I've got a stupid XTR shifter which doesn't take a clamp. Wolftooth is a clamp on job.
I found the formula match makers a fail, couldn’t get shifter comfortable. I bought a couple of top covers and clamps because I had I spec shifters. Can put one in the post for you if you want