Forgive me, I have sinned...

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Took notice on Saturday and definitely more emtbs than muscle powered at red hill nowadays.
Given I'm 50 and trying to reach 100 I'll keep gasping up waterbank ascent as long as I can to get the full health benefit and smug self satisfaction. I usually muttter cheater cheater pumpkin eater under my breath when an eeb goes past
Redhill seems to have exploded with Ebikes of late. So many riders of all ages with them.

I'll be in the "support" camp over the "passenger" camp when it comes to Ebikes. Like I say, the climb still makes you breathe more forcefully, but it's more tolerable and you're moving faster so it's neither as intense nor as long lasting.

Try one, you'll see whether it suits you.

danncam

Likes Dirt
Redhill seems to have exploded with Ebikes of late. So many riders of all ages with them.

I'll be in the "support" camp over the "passenger" camp when it comes to Ebikes. Like I say, the climb still makes you breathe more forcefully, but it's more tolerable and you're moving faster so it's neither as intense nor as long lasting.

Try one, you'll see whether it suits you.
I know I'd enjoy it too much, so will avoid the eebs. One quick hit of eeb and that's it, Train(ebike)spotting life it is with expensive therapy to get back to real life

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Yep, trying the Levo SL a couple years back has sealed my fate that one day I will have one of these light ebikes as my only bike.
I've ridden several full powered Ebikes over the years and none of them impressed me with the handling. The SL changed my mind. I'm certainly interested to see what other light EMTBs turn up over the next few months.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
My wifes old man bought a 9.7 at the weekend and I had a look and a quick street ride. Handled well on the road and other than the dropper being too short for me (it was a medium) it seemed well sorted.
The spec was sorted too, SLX/XT all the way through (even though the site was Deore brakes, it came with SLX)

He said I could ride it any time he isn't and honestly I'm torn, I reckon it'll ruin by Prime for me...

Stredda

My wifes old man bought a 9.7 at the weekend and I had a look and a quick street ride. Handled well on the road and other than the dropper being too short for me (it was a medium) it seemed well sorted.
The spec was sorted too, SLX/XT all the way through (even though the site was Deore brakes, it came with SLX)

He said I could ride it any time he isn't and honestly I'm torn, I reckon it'll ruin by Prime for me...
Ah, it's still just a different kind of ride. I still enjoy my Sight when I ride it. It feels so light and poppy. Just gives you and alternative.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm a month in on mine now and am completely won over by it.

obviously the climbing is great (coming from a normal bike) but even without assistance it's very good.

Its general trail manners and handling are just excellent and then the descending is wicked fun. It's basically made all aspects of riding fun.

I've had to make a few tweaks to get it how I like but now it's there I'm scratching my head for any other changes.
The personal touches I've added are:
240mm One Up Components dropper post
Raceface Turbine stem
Burgtec 38 ride high bars
Deity Supracush grips.
Maxxis DHF DHR tyre combo.
Suntour Durolux 36 RC2 in place of the Lyrik it comes with as the 160mm airshaft for the Lyrik is backordered for months.

So it's pretty much perfect now. I'll have to force myself into my other FS bikes just to keep myself honest.

Last edited:

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So, it's almost the end of November and I've had a fair while to ride this bike and get used to it.

TL/DR, this bike is excellent, really impressive and just great fun to ride.
There are some areas where it excels, and others where it could do with refinement but overall I'm very pleased.

I've taken it to the You Yangs, Redhill, Silvan and Lysterfield and not regretted taking it once.

The climbing is very good. Of course coming from a regular pedal bike this is going to be the case. What I find with it is that there are times when I'm pedalling up a slight incline and have it on eco or no assistance. I'd expect it to be more inefficient but it isn't.

It's not like a full power ebike and one does need to give it some effort to get up the steepest of climbs.
If you want a rocket to get up the hill without effort, look elsewhere.

The climbing position is comfortable, and with the rebound compression dialled appropriately it's stable and composed.

Descending.
This bike is so composed and controlled. I thought 150mm / 140mm would get loose and challenging pretty quickly but it tracks the ground really well and also takes big hits and the odd case with lots in reserve.

The weight helps keep it planted without causing it to be a bus / hound to control or steer. It jumps really well too. I found myself hitting bigger jumps and it being so very composed and controlled again.

The sound, or the actual lack of sound really is remarkable. I've ridden next to other riders who didn't know what it was and they had no clue it has a motor.

I arose next to someone who has exactly the same bike and I couldn't hear it either. It's actually quite eirie.

There are a couple of things I'd like to see changed / revised, some are personal preference and others I'd anticipate coming in future versions.

The controller. It's excellent, tactile discreet, unlikely to get damaged in a stack. But why it's not Bluetooth connected I don't know.

The lower shock mount should be like the Fuel Ex with different mounting points to adjust the leverage ratio.

The chainstay is same size throughout and it'd be better balanced with a proportionate size for XL.

Given the way one gets tempted to ride this bike, it really should have a full ISCG05 bashguard, or at least the mounting points. There are only two of them so you can't fit a bashguard. I ruined the chainring and chain then had to wait about 3 weeks for a replacement.

The E-thirteen carbon cranks that come with the bike are very wide at the BB area. If you've reasonably sized hooves like me you'll find the surface getting rubbed by them, ruining the finish.

My only annoying issue is a driveline creak which simply won't go away. Trek have looked at it a few times and agree it shouldn't be present. They're about to replace some parts to resolve it, finally. I have heard it might be the carbon cranks which I will then swap for alloy ones if needed.

Overall it's a keeper. If you're E bike curious it's definitely an interesting proposition as it gives enough of the benefits without too many of the drawbacks.

Attachments

Last edited:

Stredda

So, it's almost the end of November and I've had a fair while to ride this bike and get used to it.

TL/DR, this bike is excellent, really impressive and just great fun to ride.
There are some areas where it excels, and others where it could do with refinement but overall I'm very pleased.

I've taken it to the You Yangs, Redhill, Silvan and Lysterfield and not regretted taking it once.

The climbing is very good. Of course coming from a regular pedal bike this is going to be the case. What I find with it is that there are times when I'm pedalling up a slight incline and have it on eco or no assistance. I'd expect it to be more inefficient but it isn't.

It's not like a full power ebike and one does need to give it some effort to get up the steepest of climbs.
If you want a rocket to get up the hill without effort, look elsewhere.

The climbing position is comfortable, and with the rebound compression dialled appropriately bits stable and composed.

Descending.
This bike is so composed and controlled. I thought 150mm / 140mm would get loose and challenging pretty quickly but it tracks the ground really well and also takes big hits and the odd case with lots I'm reserve.

The weight helps keep it planted without causing it to be a bus / hound to control or steer. It jumps really well too. I found myself hitting bigger jumps and it being so very composed and controlled again.

The sound, or the actual lack of sound really is remarkable. I've ridden next to other riders who didn't know what it was and they had no clue it has a motor.

I arose next to someone who has exactly the same bike and I couldn't hear it either. It's actually quite eirie.

There are a couple of things I'd like to see changed / revised, some are personal preference and others I'd anticipate coming in future versions.

The controller. It's excellent, tactile discreet, unlikely to get damaged in a stack. But why it's not Bluetooth connected I don't know.

The lower shock mount should be like the Fuel Ex with different mounting points to adjust the leverage ratio.

The chainstay is same size throughout and it'd be better balanced with a proportionate size for XL.

Given the way one gets tempted to ride this bike, it really should have a full ISCG05 bashguard, or at least the mounting points. There are only two of them so you can't fit a bashguard. I ruined the chainring and chain then had to wait about 3 weeks for a replacement.

The E-thirteen carbon cranks that come with the bike are very wide at the BB area. If you've reasonably sized hooves like me you'll find the surface getting rubbed by them, ruining the finish.

My only annoying issue is a driveline creak which simply won't go away. Trek have looked at it a few times and agree it shouldn't be present. They're about to replace some parts to resolve it, finally. I have heard it might be the carbon cranks which I will then swap for alloy ones if needed.

Overall it's a keeper. If you're E bike curious it's definitely an interesting proposition as it gives enough of the benefits without too many of the drawbacks.
I did a quick demo on a Trek Fuel EXe last weekend and was quite impressed. It very similar to my Levo SL, but it was so quiet, you only just hear the motor sometimes when the trail is really smooth, other than that, the sound from drivetrain and tyres drowns out any motor noise.
There will always be a place for full powered bikes for those who just want to blast up a fire road, but these new light weight Ebikes is where it is at for me right now. I rode my SL with a mate on a non-Ebike with it no assistance at all the other day and it felt fine. I'm sure over a big day out without any assistance that extra weight would take its toll but it's nice to know that if I do run the battery flat it's not too much of a chore to pedal out.

Last edited:

Rorschach

I've ridden the wifes old mans one a few times and I really like it, compared to the Rail another mate has. Rides really well and doesn't feel much heavier than my Prime

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've ridden the wifes old mans one a few times and I really like it, compared to the Rail another mate has. Rides really well and doesn't feel much heavier than my Prime
I've added some heft to it with tyres, inserts, a 240mm dropper which is pretty hefty, along with bars and stem. It weighs a bit more than it did off the shop floor but it rides so well.

Rorschach

I've added some heft to it with tyres, inserts, a 240mm dropper which is pretty hefty, along with bars and stem. It weighs a bit more than it did off the shop floor but it rides so well.
His rode well out of the box even with the 36 Rhythms, but those changes would make it way more capable
Put it this way, I'm glad his bike was too small for me...

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm almost 1yr in on this Trek Fuel Ex-e 9.8XT model and after riding it again today I am still totally smitten with it.

There have been some challenges and issues with it. Fault codes, TCU malfunctions (wouldn't turn on first, then it wouldn't turn off or charge)
Creaking drivetrain issues and an issue with the carbon Line Elite rear wheel.

Every single time, Trek came to support me on this and very happy to have that backup.

Mods include:
Fox Factory 38 at 160mm
Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate coil
One Up components dropper post 240mm
One Up components 35/800 bars
Tannus Armour inserts front and rear
Maxxis Assegai 2.5 front
Maxxis DHR 2.4 rear
PNW loam lever

It rides so very well. I have decided to run it in the high setting after demolishing 2 chainrings and chains running at 150mm with the stock Lyrik and in the low setting.

It pedals remarkably well, and I even ride it on selected occasions and sections without support. Obviously the more fit I feel, the more able I am to use less support.

The descending, especially with the coil (with HBO) and the 38 is just stellar. As I weigh 107kgs the extra weight isn't much of an issue for me. It's planted, supple yet supportive and composed.

The only things I'd like to see on any future revisions would be:
Bluetooth remote controller
60nm torque / 400w power
Size specific chainstays
More stack on L and XL sizes or an XXL size
Slightly steeper STA.
HTA adjustability like the alloy version.

The motor has been great, super silent and just enough to give the support I need. For those weighing less it must be excellent on that aspect.

Overall, no regrets with this bike and it has very much made riding a joy all over again.

Attachments

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Whats the HSP train? Halal Snack Pack? Is that why you need an ebike now?
High Single Pivot.

I went all in on them about 2 yrs ago with a Highlander first and a Dreadnought. Both bikes were lovely but I preferred the Highlander and the Dreadnought was easier to sell. In hindsight the Dreadnought was hamstrung by the Fox X2 it came with which just wouldn't stop wetting the bed. If I'd have stuck with it and put another shock on it, it'd have been solved.

Anyway, I'm far happier with the Fuel Ex-e and have to remind myself to ride the other bikes. Even a little support is highly addictive. Full power must be all consuming.

Last edited:

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good to hear @The Reverend

It is, 25kph up hill on singletrack is a whole new world opened up. The fun factor makes it very hard to decide on which bike.
Even Mrs Reverend knows this is a gateway drug / intermediate fix. Sooner or later the full power option will have to be selected. All but two of my mates with EBikes have full power and we always get rinsed on the climbs.

Last edited:

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Even Mrs Reverend knows this is a gateway drug / intermediate fix. Sooner or later the full power option will have to be selected. All but two of my mates with EBikes have full power and we always get rinsed on the climbs.
Even if all your mates had light weight ebikes the lure of full fat goodness would get you eventually. Only real solution is of course a light weight and and a full fat ;)