Canyon Spectral - creaking headset

Flow-Rider

Burner
Never heard of them. Will Hambo.

EDIT: Let's give them a gratuitous plug https://highlinecycles.com.au/ as they are in the next suburb over from me and I've never heard of them!

Looks like they do some cool stuff. They have a 'master tension meter' to test / calibrate simple tension meters like the park one I have.

Any idea who it is / history?
I've never dealt with them, as I do most of that type of work myself, hearsay was that one of them is a mechanical fitter, but I can't confirm. They seem to get a good rap from a few people online over the years.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Never heard of them. Will Hambo.

EDIT: Let's give them a gratuitous plug https://highlinecycles.com.au/ as they are in the next suburb over from me and I've never heard of them!

Looks like they do some cool stuff. They have a 'master tension meter' to test / calibrate simple tension meters like the park one I have.

Any idea who it is / history?
Too close for comfort!

Osmosis

Cannon Fodder
Just to provide a bit more info on this issue. I think the problem is with the Canyon composite (plastic) bearing cover. If you assemble the headset and observe the sides of the cover, you can see it deforming as you tighten the top cap to the recommended 6nm of torque. I can only assume that if it deforms with only 6nm of torque that it further flexes with use on a trail. Once the top cap is fully tight the sides of the cover contact the frame, whereas the front and back of the cover still have around 1-2mm of space.

Originally I shaved down the sides of the Canyon cover to prevent it contacting the frame, but I've since replaced the Canyon cover with the Cane Creek one and replaced the spacers (because you need 25mm due to the lower profile of the Cane Creek cover). This seems to have fixed it.

On the subject of rattling Canyon Spectrals, I found the dropper on mine was also the source of quite a few rattles, particularly when fully extended. A dropper service found the bushings and O rings not seated correctly causing the piston to rattle. So if the headset tweaks don't sort your rattles, it might be worth getting the dropper looked at. You'll know it's an issue if tapping the top of the seat results in a hollow rattling sound.

All that notwithstanding I still love this bike, but Canyon need to rethink whether fitting a composite bearing cover and spacers to save a few bucks is worth the bad PR they are getting on this issue.

Edit: Just to note there doesn't seem to be any steerer tube wear issues like others have experienced, so that may be an entirely seperate issue.

Last edited:

Pete_10

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just to provide a bit more info on this issue. I think the problem is with the Canyon composite (plastic) bearing cover. If you assemble the headset and observe the sides of the cover, you can see it deforming as you tighten the top cap to the recommended 6nm of torque. I can only assume that if it deforms with only 6nm of torque that it further flexes with use on a trail. Once the top cap is fully tight the sides of the cover contact the frame, whereas the front and back of the cover still have around 1-2mm of space.

Originally I shaved down the sides of the Canyon cover to prevent it contacting the frame, but I've since replaced the Canyon cover with the Cane Creek one and replaced the spacers (because you need 25mm due to the lower profile of the Cane Creek cover). This seems to have fixed it.

On the subject of rattling Canyon Spectrals, I found the dropper on mine was also the source of quite a few rattles, particularly when fully extended. A dropper service found the bushings and O rings not seated correctly causing the piston to rattle. So if the headset tweaks don't sort your rattles, it might be worth getting the dropper looked at. You'll know it's an issue if tapping the top of the seat results in a hollow rattling sound.

All that notwithstanding I still love this bike, but Canyon need to rethink whether fitting a composite bearing cover and spacers to save a few bucks is worth the bad PR they are getting on this issue.

Edit: Just to note there doesn't seem to be any steerer tube wear issues like others have experienced, so that may be an entirely seperate issue.

I think the composite cover could have worked if it were a solid piece and not hollowed out underneath. More of a design error than a materials choice error possibly.

Another part that I think actually could be the root cause of the issue is the overly large (stiff) bearing preload ring required for the massive IS52 bearing. Which I think takes far more preload to expand/wedge than the composite cap can handle. I tried to use standard headset spacers and no cap and even these couldn’t preload it enough to prevent creaks over time.

Instead of purchasing a cane creek cap, new spacers and stem, I modelled up an aluminium replacement and had it machined. I also added a groove for an oring on the steerer. If a few people are keen I’d happily get a batch made.

Attachments

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think the composite cover could have worked if it were a solid piece and not hollowed out underneath. More of a design error than a materials choice error possibly.

Another part that I think actually could be the root cause of the issue is the overly large (stiff) bearing preload ring required for the massive IS52 bearing. Which I think takes far more preload to expand/wedge than the composite cap can handle. I tried to use standard headset spacers and no cap and even these couldn’t preload it enough to prevent creaks over time.

Instead of purchasing a cane creek cap, new spacers and stem, I modelled up an aluminium replacement and had it machined. I also added a groove for an oring on the steerer. If a few people are keen I’d happily get a batch made.
Looks great.
On another note. Black framed mullet?

teK--

Eats Squid

I reckon you could sell quite a few of those! Nice job

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don’t think I posted an update to the original issue and can’t be bothered reading the whole thread. Initially the customer service person I had contact with denied any issues and would not reply to further correspondence. Eventually I got hold of another person who knew exactly what the issue was and solved it in 15 mins. Canyon produced a new compression ring as the original was a solid lump of aluminium and would not compress enough to grip the steerer tube.

within a few days a new compression ring arrived and to my surprise it was plastic! I installed it, torqued everything to spec and have not had a problem since! No headset changes or spacer changes required.

I can’t recall the person who helped me as it was 6 months ago. He knew his stuff and was extremely helpful… unlike the initial dipshit who did everything he could to fob me off!

nathanm

Eats Squid
I don’t think I posted an update to the original issue and can’t be bothered reading the whole thread. Initially the customer service person I had contact with denied any issues and would not reply to further correspondence. Eventually I got hold of another person who knew exactly what the issue was and solved it in 15 mins. Canyon produced a new compression ring as the original was a solid lump of aluminium and would not compress enough to grip the steerer tube.

within a few days a new compression ring arrived and to my surprise it was plastic! I installed it, torqued everything to spec and have not had a problem since! No headset changes or spacer changes required.

I can’t recall the person who helped me as it was 6 months ago. He knew his stuff and was extremely helpful… unlike the initial dipshit who did everything he could to fob me off!
The facebook page has been really good in relation to replacement top caps etc which would've been my option. But good to know Canyon have solved the problem, themselves. However its typically poor of them to not send replacements to every owner and cover costs of updating/replacing.

Now they just need to work out how to stop their bottom brackets cracking.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The facebook page has been really good in relation to replacement top caps etc which would've been my option. But good to know Canyon have solved the problem, themselves. However its typically poor of them to not send replacements to every owner and cover costs of updating/replacing.

Now they just need to work out how to stop their bottom brackets cracking.
I haven’t heard of these issues. Is it s specific frame, or across the range?

marsbe

adequately spanked
Apologies for the thread revival. Has anybody replaced their headset with the Ritchey drop-in upper? I've done this and I'm still getting very slight play, the dust cap is rotated following my rides. This is despite loosening the stem bolts and cranking the top cap bolt down.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Apologies for the thread revival. Has anybody replaced their headset with the Ritchey drop-in upper? I've done this and I'm still getting very slight play, the dust cap is rotated following my rides. This is despite loosening the stem bolts and cranking the top cap bolt down.
Not Spectral-specific but is your top cap bottoming out on the steerer? Have had it happen before where it felt like it was tight, but I'd get some knocking/rocking that would exacerbate with time. Eventually worked out that the slight conical shaping of the top cap was just bottoming out on the steerer preventing proper preload. A 5mm spacer on top of the stem and under the top cap solved it. r

Not to say there's not a frame issue at play given the track record of the new Spectrals, but may also just be a simple fix if you're lucky! :)

marsbe

adequately spanked
Cheers, I don't think it's bottoming out. I'm running a OneUp EDC Lite and there's at least 3mm of stem above the steerer, but I've also tried a larger spacer below and a 5mm spacer on top which had the same result. I haven't tried replacing the star nut or crown race yet, but I feel like I've tried pretty much everything else!