Metal Working! Fitting, Machining, Welding, Sheet and General Metal Fab

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Are they just an press fit or are there threads hidden up inside the cap?
Brute force over ignorance. The neck of the bottle isn't perfect with an external seam so air can still get in but there is enough overlap to keep the water in the bottle too.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Been looking for some decent bearing scrapers for a while. The new ones I can readily get are made of gorgonzola and the real deal are stupid expensive. Picked these up off gumtree for under $50 posted. The guy did know what they were but Moore & Wright was not a brand he had heard of. His loss. They need a bit of a clean up and sharpen on the belt grinder but a damn good deal even if it is unlikely I will ever use either of the bigger ones.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Been looking for some decent bearing scrapers for a while. The new ones I can readily get are made of gorgonzola and the real deal are stupid expensive. Picked these up off gumtree for under $50 posted. The guy did know what they were but Moore & Wright was not a brand he had heard of. His loss. They need a bit of a clean up and sharpen on the belt grinder but a damn good deal even if it is unlikely I will ever use either of the bigger ones.
Nice find!

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
I like that!
Pop one of these on it:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Pop one of these on it:
Yes, saves on stitches.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Has anyone heard of using an oxy/acetylene torch to burn out a broken off thread tap in a blind hole?

Yesterday I snapped a 5/8" bottom tap off 30mm down a blind hole in some 316. I was aware of broken tap removal tools and all the other methods/theories for getting the broken piece out, but never heard the above.

Gave it a go as other options weren't really viable. And what do you know it fkn worked.

Using a standard brazing tip you jam that sucker in the hole and heat up just the tap until yellow then slowly turn the acetylene off and watch the tap just blow away in a shit tonne of sparks and oxygen :D

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Has anyone heard of using an oxy/acetylene torch to burn out a broken off thread tap in a blind hole?

Yesterday I snapped a 5/8" bottom tap off 30mm down a blind hole in some 316. I was aware of broken tap removal tools and all the other methods/theories for getting the broken piece out, but never heard the above.

Gave it a go as other options weren't really viable. And what do you know it fkn worked.

Using a standard brazing tip you jam that sucker in the hole and heat up just the tap until yellow then slowly turn the acetylene off and watch the tap just blow away in a shit tonne of sparks and oxygen :D
Yup. Fire fixes all. Oxy’s are the ultimate hammer.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub

I haven't tried that method. I've got quite a few out before when you have a tap that's broken off flush. You place a same sized nut as the tap over the hole, give a few zaps through the centre of the nut to weld it to the tap and then put a spanner on the nut and unwind it out.
I've used an EDM fast hole machine to remove them too, like the oxy, it just blasts them away, just a bit more slowly and controlled.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I haven't tried that method. I've got quite a few out before when you have a tap that's broken off flush. You place a same sized nut as the tap over the hole, give a few zaps through the centre of the nut to weld it to the tap and then put a spanner on the nut and unwind it out.
I've used an EDM fast hole machine to remove them too, like the oxy, it just blasts them away, just a bit more slowly and controlled.
I have seen the carbon arc gouger take a broken tap out of a steam turbine casing. It was a 75mm dia tap. Tap had a defect. Bang. Then many many fancy words.