Narooma MTB Trails

MHz

Squid
I did a search and couldn’t find this posted, or a thread less than 10 years old to add this to. So here goes with a new thread, as I think it is worth spreading.

Narooma Mountain Bike Club was successful mid last year in gaining $3.9 million in funding to expand their trail system out to 100km of trail. Speaking to a club member (actually from the first article, club president Georgie Staley) last week, they expect to have these trails up and running by Christmas 2022.

https://www.naroomanewsonline.com.a...eQT3_CGqk9OPeiZyPXEDSOx5i6A1JSyNh4GQWuhyBBwZs

The trails are mostly gravity based flow trails, not hardcore downhill (the terrain doesn’t really support that IMO), but with good variety and tight enough to keep you (well at least me) on your toes.

More details in this Aus Geo article.

https://www.australiangeographic.co...ike-trail-network-to-grow-to-more-than-100km/

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Narooma is stunning. Add MTB and it's hard to resist for a family holiday! If only I was closed than Brisbane.

Reactions: MHz

MHz

Squid
Definitely good news.

There's also a load of money being invested in the Batemans Bay/Mogo trail network.

Good news as whilst I haven’t ridden them, a report from another rider was that the existing Maulbrooks trails at Mogo were very run down and getting cut up by trail bikes.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Good news as whilst I haven’t ridden them, a report from another rider was that the existing Maulbrooks trails at Mogo were very run down and getting cut up by trail bikes.
I heard that too; since the fires I've mainly been riding the Nowra trail network although Deep Creek Dam on the other side of the highway is good fun and in great condition.

Some decent elevation potential for these new developments, looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

Reactions: MHz

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I'm headed to Batemans Bay in January and saw the Narooma trails pop up recently with their upgrades and looks like a pretty good place to spend my half day on the bike.

Would Narooma be the best bet from Batemans Bay or are the Mogo trails worth a visit for less travel time?

Any Burners keen for a roll around in that area around January 15 / 16 ish?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I'm heading up that way tomorrow for Christmas and saw it was open yesterday - now desperately packing and re-packing the car so I can fit a bike + shit in. Maybe I can just go without food for a week.

Anyway, if I'm successful I'll definitely go check it out. Trailforks map shows it to be fairly XCish but with a few decent looking descending trails thrown in. Regardless, still keen.

wkkie

Trail review would be appreciated @Asininedrivel ! :)

That looks to be an old map with only 37km of trails listed.

One of the videos I've watched recently shows, I think 3 different areas. Not exactly sure how close they all are, but looked to be riding distance.

LPG

likes thicc birds
I haven't been but a fair few riding mates have as it's not too far from us. Apparently the trails are pretty awesome. They raved about the jump lines and the flow. The trails have been open for a while but not officially as the council wanted to upgrade the access road, parking or something like that before a grand opening.

I've been meaning to get there. It's a 3 hr drive but should be worth it for a night or 2 over the weekend. I'm working on the 15-16th so I don't think I can get there for a ride but I could try and get there on a weekend.

wkkie

No time for road trips with multiple stops unfortunately.

Also Eden is about 2 and a half hours from Batemans Bay.

MHz

Squid
I have been riding the new trails for the last few days, so a bit of a report.
The system is basically in three zones:
  1. Playground zone. This is the easiest to access from the new trailhead. Includes the ute jump (on Thunderbirds are Go) of the BCpov vid that @wkkie posted, as well as a good easy green (Shredtopia) and Puffy Horse (faster blue flow). This zone can be self shuttled, but has a nice mellow climb route up too. Thrill Hill has some technical built features, with 2-3 options on most.
  2. Gravity zone. Basically between a ridge and Lawlers Creek trail. A good mix of more “downhilly” trails, from green through t double black, about 140m vert. The blues and greens are great fun, but no report from me on the blacks or doubles, I ain’t up to them. Includes Willy Wossell and Big Ass Flies of the “classic” hand cut trails. A couple of climb options, all well graded. Paid shuttles operate in this zone, its a Troopy with 5 bikes on the front, 5 on the back, on a closed (fairly direct) road (not publically shuttle-able).
  3. Wilderness zone. Longer XC type rides. Haven’t tried these yet.
Each day the trailhead carpark has been full, but everyone has spread out and plenty of room on the trails. The old Red Knob trail head is being closed down - access to the new trailhea is much easier, right off the highway and with a newly metalled shuttle road rather than a washed out fire trail.

The trails hold up fairly well to rain - it was torrential before Boxing Day but they were rideable the next day. A few muddy patches but mostly fairly gravelly. Trails have been constructed well and drain. Keep an eye on the Mountain Bike Narooma facebook page for requests to keep clear of trails (for example, the other day they asked for riders to wait until 9am to give the trails a couple of hours to dry from overnight rain.)

You could easily spend a couple of days here and still struggle to get around.

Definitely recommended.