The bike industry crisis

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I think customer loyalty is diminishing around the globe these days, but the UK has been hit with one of the worst living crises due to energy costs. Boutique brands are probably going to take a hit worldwide, giant, meridia, specialized, and so on do the same job for almost half the price. They have ride to work incentives in the UK too, so maybe they didn't focus too much on where most of the money was.

It makes me wonder how Hope will go. I think you're going to see the Chinese manufactured stuff get cheaper, they're struggling to keep people employed over there ATM.
Hope will probably be ok. It's the lesser known brand like Halo that would be in trouble.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My hope is that eventually they will drop the geo blocking. CRC not being able to sell Shimano was the start of the downfall.

Orange administration
CRC/Wiggle administration
Stanton administration
PlanetX in administration

(All UK companies mmm)

Canyon bike losses

Guerilla Gravity out of business
VanMoof out of business
Islabikes closed down

Kona BOGOF sales
Specialized laying off staff and massive sales

MTB race team culls

Crisis is most likely a hyperbolic descriptor but there's certainly a lot of changes.
don’t forget Chopstick, or did he phoenix into fuckstick

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Who is doing well you think?
I didn't start the fire but the likes of giant, trek, fluid all seem to be bringing out multiple models and then you can probably throw in spec and others. Why don't you check the share values over the last 5 years?

First thing Hambo says

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I didn't start the fire but the likes of giant, trek, fluid all seem to be bringing out multiple models and then you can probably throw in spec and others. Why don't you check the share values over the last 5 years?

First thing Hambo says
An article from August 2021 might not be too reflective of the current state of the industry though...

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt

First thing Hambo says
That's from August 2021.
I just checked and both Shimano and Giant have been going down since then. Trek's parent company has stayed about the same during that timeframe but is massively down since 2015.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
A good shake up, a lull in buying stupid over priced bikes, price realignment, get rid of the weak and the strong innovative companies survive.

They all got greedy during corona and took advantage of supply issues, raised prices, full RRP on bikes. Attitude of pay the price or someone else will buy it.

Those $4000 carbon frames in 2019 are now nearly $6000.

This can only work in our favour, cheaper parts and a better attitude. Maybe the chunts will offer discount codes again... Haven't seen them in a few years.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
Last edited:

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
A good shake up, a lull in buying stupid over priced bikes, price realignment, get rid of the weak and the strong innovative companies survive.

They all got greedy during corona and took advantage of supply issues, raised prices, full RRP on bikes. Attitude of pay the price or someone else will buy it.

Those $4000 carbon frames in 2019 are now nearly $6000.

This can only work in our favour, cheaper parts and a better attitude. Maybe the chunts will offer discount codes again... Haven't seen them in a few years.
Could be going the way of other stupids, with high RRP but regular sales of sensible prices? (Everyone wants to get a discount..) Like Kathmandu sales, bedding industry... Dishwasher tablets in supermarkets :p

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
An article from August 2021 might not be too reflective of the current state of the industry though...
That's from August 2021.
I just checked and both Shimano and Giant have been going down since then. Trek's parent company has stayed about the same during that timeframe but is massively down since 2015.
Like I said first thing I read. I don't actually give a fuck other than I don't think there is a crisis. But by all means get hambo to google that for you.

DrHarry

Do you feel lucky? Do you pup?
I've listened to a few podcasts with industry peeps, big problem was that everyone massively increased supply during COVID (responding to increased demand) and then demand collapsed and they're left with huge amounts of excess stock, hence the big sales.

It's pretty hard to sell your 2024 stuff at full price when your 2023 stuff isn't selling at 40% off right?

Also, as mentioned, a few of the big companies have been really taking the piss (hello Specialized?) with their prices lately, but everyone has been raising prices (supply chain issues and what not).

That being said, there's definitely more people in the sport than there were 4 years ago, so long term I think things will be ok. Plus it's a great time to buy a bike. And at 40% off some of these bikes actually seem like they're priced fairly, which is nice.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Missed out on chance to get a box of them

They may also just be taking a moment to dump their CRC/wiggle stock, and not be closing? On the bright side, someone/s bought all those boxes..

View attachment 406034

That would have been perfect.

The only place I've seen the pedals in stock for a while has been bike inn. So I doubt there was much crc stock to clear. They may be suffering a supply issue. It's not like they would have much in the way of production machinery themselves.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Its what everyone else said .
Its the normal ebb and flow of capitalism exaccerbated by up and downs w Covid and China.
Piss taking price rises cause instability.
Apparently souvlaki in Jindabyne =$25 , new cafe in Yack ice coffee =$11.50 , gourmet pies =$12 , samosa $14
Bikes like take away food are optional ,so good luck with that .

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Obviously there are people on Rotorburn with lots too much to spend judging by some of the new stuff for sale here ?
In the spirit of harmony I wont mention names .

Last edited: