The bike mechanic activity I hate the most.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Seems one thing the mechanic that put my bike together didn't like doing was putting loctite where it should fucking be put.

Just found my small chain ring on the gravel ride was mega-loose with one bolt already missing. Now I have to find out what size it was and where I can source one - I truly have better things to do with my time. Hopefully it's a standard size and dime a dozen.

About the third thing that's come loose on this bike, which truly has very few kms on it, and 95% of which were on bike paths rather than rattley trails.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Seems one thing the mechanic that put my bike together didn't like doing was putting loctite where it should fucking be put.

Just found my small chain ring on the gravel ride was mega-loose with one bolt already missing. Now I have to find out what size it was and where I can source one - I truly have better things to do with my time. Hopefully it's a standard size and dime a dozen.

About the third thing that's come loose on this bike, which truly has very few kms on it, and 95% of which were on bike paths rather than rattley trails.
Can you take it back to where you bought it? They should replace the chainring bolt for free.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
I'm going to call up and see if they at least have one that they can offer.

It's a star bolt, not seen them on chain rings before.
these ones? https://velo-store.shop/f30051-set-of-4-aluminum-chimney-screws-easton-t25-silver-one-size
1704972771219.png

there will be one on a bike in store no doubt :)

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
these ones? https://velo-store.shop/f30051-set-of-4-aluminum-chimney-screws-easton-t25-silver-one-size
View attachment 406172
there will be one on a bike in store no doubt :)
As long as it hasn't fallen off.

jrewing

Eats Squid
For me it's probably bleeding brakes. Messy but mainly going through the whole process and the potential of not having the best bleed then having the go through the whole thing again.
Just bled my mt5’s with just a chemist small syringe. They are the easiest brakes ive bled. Came up Milhouse.
i actually left a tiny bit of air, because i hate tight rear brakes, especially since the pads i use are grabby. Front i like like a rock and came up that way.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Setting up tyres with inserts! How much time and effort it takes is just too unpredictable.

You spend all the effort you can muster pushing the bead under the insert into the channel to barely manage to get the tyre on. Once the tyre is on you need to somehow pry the bead that is stuck under the insert out because you can't get it to hold enough air to seat the bead. Shifting the bead around with the insert in there is not easy and my hands are already sore.

Of course the first set of wheels I swapped over (the fronts) went pretty smoothly and I decided I could squeeze time to do the rear. On the plus side my bikes look better with the right wheels on them despite being only hub and spoke colour changes between the wheels. Unfortunately I gave up and need to have another go after my hand have some recovery time and my frustration subsides.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Changing sealant, and resealing a tyre with a pump. Short story - I need a compressor.

Sidewalls just won't seat.

safreek

I’m happy changing tubeless tyres. Even with Cushcore. What I hate for some reason is pulling the saddle off to top up air in a dropper or something. As soon as I go to reinstall and align the plates on the rails I become all thumbs. I swear it takes me half n hour to reattach a bloody saddle, plates dropping on the ground.
I spent the last month manually pulling my saddle up with my hand on my hardtail/bike path bike because I couldn’t bear to pull the saddle off.
pathetic isn’t it.
I hear ya.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I think it's been discussed before but what's the best budget approach to this? Second hand perhaps?
Don't buy from Aldi if they ever release air tools again, I have a 50 litre compressor that is now scrap metal.

Got an Airshot after the compressor died, highly recommend.