The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Read a good one on Fakebook this morning.

10 men go out for a beer once a month and the bill comes to $100. They decide to split the bill in a similar way to a tax bill:
• The first four men (the poorest) pay $0
• Fifth pays $1
• Sixth pays $3
• Seventh pays $7
• Eighth pays $12
• Ninth pays $18
• Tenth (the richest) pays $59

The men are happy.

The pub owner decides to drop the price, so their bill now comes to $80. What do they do to split the $20 fairly? The publican suggests:
• Fifth goes from $1 to $0 (a 100% saving)
• Sixth goes from $3 to $2 (a 33% saving)
• Seventh goes from $7 to $5 (a 28% saving)
• Eighth goes from $12 to $9 (a 25% saving)
• Ninth goes from $18 to $15 (a 17% saving)
• Tenth (the richest) goes from $59 to $49 (a 16% saving - the smallest net gain)

But the men aren’t happy….

The sixth man points out that he only got $1 out of the $20 but the tenth man got $10. The seventh man agrees, also asking why he only got $2 when the tenth man got $10. The first four men are also indignant, saying “we didn’t get anything at all – the new system exploits the poor!” So the nine men surround the tenth man and beat him up.

The next month the tenth man doesn’t show up. When it comes to paying the bill the group of nine men find they don’t have enough money between them to even pay for half the bill.
Rich people that have to pay more taxes will leave the country fallacy?

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@Slowman
I understand there are risks involved in every investment, including having property, but as you have multiple of them then I would think the system currently works more in your favour than against otherwise you wouldn't do it. Like you said, once you get one, plus equity, it's easier to get more and more and I just feel like maybe that shouldn't be the case. To me it feels like the more investment properties people own, the more they can buy, the more house prices stay high, which increases rental costs, and in turn only makes it harder and harder for others to enter the market.

With your comments on foreign investment into new properties I would be interested if those numbers were high enough that the resources to regulate them heavier would bring any substantial change to reduce/stop housing prices and make them more accessible.

I agree about mum and dad investors helping rental supply and it is needed which is why I suggested a sliding scale of tax reductions. I would also wonder if a hard cap on the number of investment properties should be a thing too. I just come back to asking myself - how many investment properties do people actually need?

scblack

Leucocholic
They also don't mention the eigth to the tenth bloke were exploiting negative beering rules and running their shout as a business owned by a family trust ;)
The VAST majority of negative gearing participation and accompanying trust usage is by mum and dads (not high income earners). That is a FACT.

Target your comments to the correct demographic.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The VAST majority of negative gearing participation and accompanying trust usage is by mum and dads (not high income earners). That is a FACT.

Target your comments to the correct demographic.
Are we talking per-capita, or amount negatively geared per-person? Pretty sure high-income earners with multiple or larger investments will be benefiting a lot more on a per-person basis.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Read a good one on Fakebook this morning.

10 men go out for a beer once a month and the bill comes to $100. They decide to split the bill in a similar way to a tax bill:
• Fifth pays $1
• Sixth pays $3
• Seventh pays $7
• Eighth pays $12
• Ninth pays $18
• Tenth (the richest) pays $59

The men are happy.

The pub owner decides to drop the price, so their bill now comes to $80. What do they do to split the $20 fairly? The publican suggests:
• Fifth goes from $1 to $0 (a 100% saving)
• Sixth goes from $3 to $2 (a 33% saving)
• Seventh goes from $7 to $5 (a 28% saving)
• Eighth goes from $12 to $9 (a 25% saving)
• Ninth goes from $18 to $15 (a 17% saving)
• Tenth (the richest) goes from $59 to $49 (a 16% saving - the smallest net gain)

The sixth man points out that he only got $1 out of the $20 but the tenth man got $10. The seventh man agrees, also asking why he only got $2 when the tenth man got $10. The first four men are also indignant, saying “we didn’t get anything at all – the new system exploits the poor!” So the nine men surround the tenth man and beat him up.

The next month the tenth man doesn’t show up. When it comes to paying the bill the group of nine men find they don’t have enough money between them to even pay for half the bill.
I love this story except it's complete horseshit.

No one who is in the top 10% of incomes is paying an average tax rate anywhere near the top marginal rate. If they are, they need better advisers.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When I was drinking at Kooralbyn Resort I was with Kerry Packer (a looong time ago) but he never shouted me. For a while I kept bumping into him, like at the Lakeside Hotel for breakfast during the premier's conference, he never shouted my breakfast then either. But he would acknowledge me with a hearty "get out of my way!"
No one ever became rich by being generous!

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I see this every now and again. I think it's a made up narrative that people who pay minimal tax (because of low income) would complain about how much of a tax cut a high earner would receive. It's the upper middle who sook about it....i just can't seem to get to that top bracket....

Flow-Rider

Burner
@Slowman
I understand there are risks involved in every investment, including having property, but as you have multiple of them then I would think the system currently works more in your favour than against otherwise you wouldn't do it. Like you said, once you get one, plus equity, it's easier to get more and more and I just feel like maybe that shouldn't be the case. To me it feels like the more investment properties people own, the more they can buy, the more house prices stay high, which increases rental costs, and in turn only makes it harder and harder for others to enter the market.

With your comments on foreign investment into new properties I would be interested if those numbers were high enough that the resources to regulate them heavier would bring any substantial change to reduce/stop housing prices and make them more accessible.

I agree about mum and dad investors helping rental supply and it is needed which is why I suggested a sliding scale of tax reductions. I would also wonder if a hard cap on the number of investment properties should be a thing too. I just come back to asking myself - how many investment properties do people actually need?
You can't entirely blame investors for high house prices, only 30% of Aussies rent, and of that 30% some are renting elsewhere other than investment properties like public housing owned by the Govt.

I could increase my home value just by buying and selling 5 homes that I resided in over ten years without paying a cent of taxes other stamp duty and even that is at a discounted rate when it's my own home.

With the value of land increasing I very doubt that there will be many multiple IP owners around these days as the land tax is a killer for most of these types of investments.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Making daily necessities more expensive for people, especially those already struggling isn't the answer.

Some luxury items are already taxed - cars and wine for example. Perhaps a tax at the airport? $10 per ticket wouldn't make much difference to the consumer, but there is a lot of flights in and out of Australia and most are a luxury choice.

scblack

Leucocholic
Are we talking per-capita, or amount negatively geared per-person? Pretty sure high-income earners with multiple or larger investments will be benefiting a lot more on a per-person basis.
Just overall numbers - i guess that means per-capita.

Wealthier people do not just get bigger or more property - they will diversify into other investment sectors. Property is just one option.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
No one who is in the top 10% of incomes is paying an average tax rate anywhere near the top marginal rate. If they are, they need better advisers.
If you are strictly PAYE and don't have your own company to give a bit of freedom and shield you then the Government will plug as many gaps as they can find. They don't want loophole and do like your tax contributions very much.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Some luxury items are already taxed - cars and wine for example. Perhaps a tax at the airport? $10 per ticket wouldn't make much difference to the consumer, but there is a lot of flights in and out of Australia and most are a luxury choice.
Noooo. Park your car at Sydney airport for 15 minutes are you are already past $10. :cool: That place is already a gold plated rort.

Surely they can fleece the Macquarie group instead as there must be a load of margin left after the yearly repainting the parking bays lines.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can't entirely blame investors for high house prices, only 30% of Aussies rent, and of that 30% some are renting elsewhere other than investment properties like public housing owned by the Govt.
Didn't realise the % of renters was that low.
Just wondered if this had increased over time but it's stayed pretty much level since the 80's - 30% rent, 30% mortgage, 30% owners.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I love this story except it's complete horseshit.

I love it too, it brightened my morning. Apart from bloke #10 getting beat up after paying for more than 50% of the beers.

If you are strictly PAYE and don't have your own company to give a bit of freedom and shield you then the Government will plug as many gaps as they can find. They don't want loophole and do like your tax contributions very much.
Me and possibly you by the sounds. Employee for a big company, tools and PPE supplied, no rental (I have a holiday house that I keep for myself), no hospital cover and nothing to claim apart from little things my Accountant adds, I was claiming a GoPro every couple of years for training videos, none this year. After PAYE through my employer, I end up with a $3500+ tax bill each year.

The only rort I have is leasing an EV with zero FBT.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Me and possibly you by the sounds. Employee for a big company, tools and PPE supplied, no rental (I have a holiday house that I keep for myself), no hospital cover and nothing to claim apart from little things my Accountant adds, I was claiming a GoPro every couple of years for training videos, none this year. After PAYE through my employer, I end up with a $3500+ tax bill each year.

The only rort I have is leasing an EV with zero FBT.
It usually always a sad visit to the accountant. I have to tell him that it isn't anything personal, but you know..........