Which drive train should I buy for my do-it-all ride?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
So I had a monumental come-apart last week* and now my cranks/BB are fucked. How you ask? I have no fucking idea, but fucked they are. The left crank arm won't stay on the BB. There's no visible damage at all, the pinch bolts are fine (and tight), and the crank/spline interface has no visible damage. I think the retainer pin might have been sheared off at the point of connection, but not too sure.

Anyway, I need new cranks - these are 11 year old XTs, which are still connected to an old 1X10 Shadow+ derailleur. I don't really need to replace the whole drive train, but fuck you, that's why I'm going to. My reflex reaction is to go for Shimano XT Hyperglide, because that's what I know and I run XT brakes, which I'd like to be able to mount the shifter pods onto - but that's not a deal-breaker.

I don't necessarily have a budget, but I also don't have the required husband-capital to bounce the kind of cash on parts that would land me some of that XTR fire.

So, other than tracking down some 3 piece XT cranks with 104BCD, what drive train would you go for if you wanted something for your do-it-all ride?

*For those who know Stromlo, I had just come off Wedgetail onto Pork Barrel, taken the first left turn/berm, hit the doubles as smooth as I'd ever done and came into the sketchy rocky right hander too hot. That left me further right for the rock roll-down than I'd been before, and for those who have the time, take a look at the far right hand G-out of the roll-down and you'll see a small rock poking out. My front wheel hit that as I was trying to move to the left - my wheel/handlebars whipped to the left and I went OTB so fast I only have a very vague memory of it. I was instantly on the top of my head (like a break dancer doing a headspin like) right on the top of the next big rock drop, which I then flipped over and went down, rolling a couple of times until I stopped. How I'm not in hospital with a fucked everything - particularly a broken neck, I'll never know.

Tail bone is painful as fuck, likely fractured. Hip is sore, bruises everywhere and a very sore shoulder (the other one, not the one that has only just recovered from being frozen for 12 fucking months). I think the shoulder is ok and just needs time to heal, not 100% sure. I think I extended my elbo and that was the first thing that hit the ground just before cartwheeling onto my head. My collarbone should be confetti right now, but it's not.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Clearly you aren't in hospital due to your electrifying break dancing skills. Coincidentally the answer is electric drive train.

I know this isn't your current aim, but I have a shimano saint 104bcd 170mm 68/73 that's never been used if you wanted to stay in shimano 10 speed land? You'd need to be patient on getting it as I am not due home for a while.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Clearly you aren't in hospital due to your electrifying break dancing skills. Coincidentally the answer is electric drive train.

I know this isn't your current aim, but I have a shimano saint 104bcd 170mm 68/73 that's never been used if you wanted to stay in shimano 10 speed land? You'd need to be patient on getting it as I am not due home for a while.
I have considered electric, but it's like another $4-500 on standard. So I'd rather wait until they come down a bit.

Appreciate the offer, but I'm keen to buy new. Saint are a little on the heavier side, right?

I have time, though. Don't think I'll be on the bike again for a good few weeks.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Doesn't make a lot of sense from the description, post up some pics? My bikes are ancient by definition here and run xt and xtr with no issues except for the muru which runs fatbike e13 garbage. Unfortunately.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Doesn't make a lot of sense from the description,
It doesn't make any sense at all. There's not even any impact marks on the pedals or cranks from the stack, and it was me that bounced, not the bike. @Tubbsy and I looked at it for 10 minutes and couldn't work out why the hell it just kept sliding off.

Will post pics.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Did the thread inside the axle where your special shimano bolt goes in strip out?

Or is it perhaps an issue with the bottom bracket?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Did the thread inside the axle where your special shimano bolt goes in strip out?

Or is it perhaps an issue with the bottom bracket?
No special Shimano bolt on these - plastic tensioner + pinch bolts + retainer clip.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah that plastic jobbie is what I'm talking about. Some version of this?

View attachment 406668
It was still in the crank the first time it fell off - we were riding back along the fire roads and the crank just fell/slid off as I was pedaling. We stopped, tried to work out why it had come off, loosened everything up, reassembled and rode off only for it to keep on sliding off as if the pinch bolts didn't exist. By the time we got back to the carpark the tensioner was gone.

I'd had the cranks off earlier that day to tidy up, regrease, etc. I don't think that was the problem as they stayed on like normal for 40 mins riding before the crash.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Sounds like you hadn't pushed the spindle side in far enough The things that won't work, the crank wont go on far enough, the plastic preload bolt won't reach, the retainer clip won't engage in the hole, the pinch bolts aren't pinching in the right spot...all resulting in your crank ending up on the floor.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
You are in a pickle if upgrading from 10spd to modern 12spd, you are going to have to upgrade the freehub to either XD or microspline.
If you are chasing value for money, Deore is the way to go with an XT shifter. Otherwise, SLX or XT, will trim some weight and have nicer finishes.