Australia in on fire. Again.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
We have cancelled our usual camping trip because it is in the heart of National Parks and some of these already are on fire. Parks are still open up there but likely not for long. We were there a few years ago and fires in the area made it a scary place to the point where we were just going to abandon everything at one point and stand in the ocean. Plans were changed and we were going to stay at our friend's place for a couple of weeks before Christmas. They are also amongst National Park. They sent pics this morning to show the hills are on fire and while they are fine getting in and out may ultimately be a problem and the parks are closed.

Based on the usual indicators we thought it was going to be a bad season and it has started off horrifically. Stay safe everyone and establish an active get out plan.

jrewing

Eats Squid
I thinks its wise doing so. Extraordinary amounts of fuel and brush from a decade of wet seasons around.
But itll be blamed on warming rather than housing expansion into these heavy bush areas, lots of homes are at extreme risk.
Wiser people have already started risk minimisation.
Typically people have short memories.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Had a nice dump of snow up on the hill last week, and the creek is bubbling in my front yard nicely. I think I like being this far south...

But I do need to remove the finger and see if the volunteer fire peeps want a cynical old prick with a bit of very rusty fire fighting experience on their books...

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
We're going to visit Batemans Bay over Chrissy, but that plan has more asterixis next to it than a Jordan Peterson statement. We shall see.
Extremely dry down there at present. It’s a big concern.

Probably a good thing to call it now as last black summer they were telling people not to go there at Xmas . Yet all the morons still went and got stuck with no way out , no fuel , no comms etc

slowmick

38-39"
Friends up in Mareeba have had an eventful October as fires have cleaned out most of the small stuff in the bushland around their home. A few tense nights with the red and blue lights punctuating the surrounding hills. Nobody's idea of fun.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Friends up in Mareeba have had an eventful October as fires have cleaned out most of the small stuff in the bushland around their home. A few tense nights with the red and blue lights punctuating the surrounding hills. Nobody's idea of fun.
Yeah it's pretty bloody hot and dry up here at the moment - on my ride today, there's piles of dust on the trails.