The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Any guesses on who the the former politician that "sold out" to foreign spies is?

I'm going with Andrew Robb after his time with Huawei - and his resignation from that role in the days before the foreign influence register kicked in.
I just love that Joe Hockey believes this will cause people to question politicians loyalty. Im sorry Joe, for anyone who didn't already believe that every politician is only in this to serve themselves Nemisis cleared it right up.

Genuinely suprised its only one if we are being honest.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Any guesses on who the the former politician that "sold out" to foreign spies is?

I'm going with Andrew Robb after his time with Huawei - and his resignation from that role in the days before the foreign influence register kicked in.

Clearly it is scomo in his new role...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What is the name of that youthful labor hotshot that had to resign not too long back after his close ties to China became common knowledge?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
With both Hockey and Dutton saying name and shame / it's Labor (or they are clueless) -
Getting that vibe too.

I can't see ASIO releasing it though. IF you read Burgess' transcript he notes that the ex-pollie hasn't been charged. So if s/he were outet there would probably be a legal case (in particular given that much of the evidence against that person may not be admissible in a civil hearing).

LPG

likes thicc birds
With both Hockey and Dutton saying name and shame / it's Labor (or they are clueless) - Sam was already "exposed" in 2017 - surely it's somebody different
It could be that they know ASIO won't release a name so they want to push the speculation towards labour for the next 8 second news cycle

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Andrew robb did get a cushy $73K a month gig with the Chinese running the Darwin port
Yeah, you're right - Landbridge, not Huawei:

Former trade minister Andrew Robb has quietly ceased his controversial $880,000 per annum consultancy with a company closely linked to the Chinese government, as the deadline looms for lobbyists for overseas state interests to sign up to Australia’s new foreign influence register.

Mr Robb’s consultancy with the leaseholder of the Darwin Port, Landbridge, was trumpeted by the Chinese-government aligned company in 2016, but became intensely controversial when an investigation by The Age, The Sydney Morning Herald and Four Corners revealed his fee, and that he had joined the company straight after quitting parliament.

From left, now Treasurer Josh Frydenberg, Landbridge chief Ye Cheng and then trade minister Andrew Robb at a northern development conference in 2015.

From left, now Treasurer Josh Frydenberg, Landbridge chief Ye Cheng and then trade minister Andrew Robb at a northern development conference in 2015. Credit: Glenn Campbell

I once had Robb say straight to my face, as if there was no problem with the concept at all, that I wouldn't get the NBN until last if I was in a safe seat (he never inquired into which seat I was in, could have been LNP). To him that made sense and was not problematic. Fuck that guy with stretch for treason.