We've lost the desire... how do we get it back?

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
We've been a farkineer/Rotorburner for a short time.... and we loved the cycle...moutain, road, anything with wheels.. You may have seen a post or two from the fat meat sack in the past..

recently, we've lost the desire...... to ride.

It's somethng we've never had before...last year, we f*cking smashed it..... riding was our.. thing.

Now, would rather drink wine and .... just do f*ck all..... Work is killing us both, small ankle injury , wifey had the covids, going to work via bike has been f*cked by roadworks.

any suggestions to get back on the proverbial horse?

SPXL_20240305_082333312.jpg

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That pangolin has put a hex on you!

Nothing perks the interest in riding more than a good day on the wheels with some friends. All the shit talking, hooting, and general loutish behaviour that comes from ripping a few skids with like minded people always leaves me wanting to do it again. I think the word stoke fits in here somewhere as well.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
The fact that you are even asking means you are still keen. Just not currently in the right place. A bit like the shingleback!

I'm coming back from more than nine months off the bike for much the same reason. Other shit has to get done and the wine wouldn't drink itself. But now that part of a life is done with and I'm back on the bike. Just as nature intended.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Think about how much you would want to ride your bike if your legs stopped working and you weren't able to... now go pedal pig. Sometimes the hardest part is just getting out the front door.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Sometimes the body, in conjuction with external factors, has a subconscious way of saying, "I need a break". The recent "jaunt" through Japan quite probably put a fair bit of strain on your bodies, and they just need a rest, while external distractions have given a kind of mental validation to not feeling like riding. The vibe will come back when it's ready, in the meantime just enjoy doing different stuff.

PS: give that cute little Shingleback a pat for me. :D

boyracer

Likes Dirt
Same boat here. NBD is just sitting there 1/2 built. Meh...probably shoulda bought an ebike.
Did a mischief to my knee and have ridden 3 times this year. awaiting surgery in 4 weeks. been gorging and drinking in bacchanalian fashion.
** was admiring your vim in going to Japan on minimal budget/prep/gear, you've earned a break i reckon.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Last year, I was beating up on myself a lot for not riding or climbing enough. Fitting in all my responsibilities plus the high amount of physical exertion I was expending on my farm meant my aging, damaged body simply didn't have enough left for either riding or climbing.

This creates quite the conundrum. Riding and climbing give me the physical and mental condition required to perform my other tasks, yet also expend the energy biscuits required to perform said tasks.

Finding the balance is tough. Being gentle on myself, appreciating the enjoyment in my other experiences, and not dwelling on the fact that I am not riding or climbing has been key.

The ebb and flow are inevitable. Genuinely accepting this fact has gone a long way towards my overall well-being.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I very much lost the mojo after a big injury and I sorta tried to convince myself it was all fine for a long time. It was only in hindsight I think I saw that sometimes you just need a break.

Don’t beat yourself up about it. If you want to do other stuff for a while that’s cool. As the saying goes, if you love someone (thing) set them free ;)

Come back to it when it feels right, and you’ll enjoy it more.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
M8, it’s easy. Go take up ur casual weekend nose beers habit and excessive liquid courage.
After a few months of hedonism u will realise what a peice of shit u are, and have an existential crisis forcing u back onto ur bike an doing bikram yoga on the weekends. Yewwwww

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I think it is normal to some extent esp if you overdo it.
I am a bit like that w skiing but the highs r still good.

Dont worry there are so many typesof ridinv to do from riding on road from place to place w friends o/s to gnarly mtbiking.

PJO

in me vL comy
Is there a riding group that you can join in your area?
Adding a social aspect to your riding can help with motivation.

I'll probably be banned for saying this but in November last year I joined a bunch that rides every Wednesday morning at 5:30am.
Yes, they are roadies...

...but once you look past the kit (their jerseys cost twice as much as what I wear) and the bikes (probably 5 or 6 times what I paid for mine) many of them are reasonably human (there are some that are a little less but most are fine).
Then you start getting to know them, and they become a little more human. They work in all sorts of industries: small business, builders, the hospital, the local bike shop etc.... They hang shit on you just the same as everyone else (once you get to know them and they get to know you).

Anyway the point I'm trying to make is, while it is the epitome of death getting up at 5am to get ready, there is something about knowing that someone else is going to be out there riding and you could be there too, that is motivating. Plus it makes you accountable, people miss you if you don't go. By 7am you've done 40km, you're home and you feel fucking amazing.

teK--

Eats Squid
Go on a riding trip/weekend somewhere and that will get you fired up again!!!

Somewhere that is out of your usual area.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
You're probably sick of riding the same old tracks. Happens. You can look for trails that you've never done. Try mix it up a bit more. Bikepacking, single speeding the easy courses, or downgrade to a hardtail to make it challenging again.

Heck as above even try other things out, road bikes, gravel bikes, track veledrome racing is fun. Maybe hike, run, do other stuff. Sign up for events, have a goal and training plans.

All else fails buy a new bike.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I agree. Mix it up a bit. When I get bored then I go on a road hiatus or try some walks in interesting places for a change.

It is normal to get bored of anything if you do a bit too much of the same thing.