Metal Working! Fitting, Machining, Welding, Sheet and General Metal Fab

Flow-Rider

Burner
I picked up another toy for the shed this afternoon, my wife's reaction was a bit like @oldcorollas post here.
Except there was no comeback as she doesn't do fake nails or much stuff like that.

View attachment 406696
Tomorrow's project is to reassemble it and try to rebend a Thule roof carrier that someone managed to straighten out with a little help from their bike and garage.
The old jaw busters we call them in workshops, be careful pressing to capacity because the cast iron plates can shatter.

ausdb

Being who he is
The old jaw busters we call them in workshops, be careful pressing to capacity because the cast iron plates can shatter.
Are you saying the press plates or base of the jack? If it's the press plates thanks for the heads up as I thought they were steel. Looks like I need to send my Dad on a mission to his mates and try to get a few offcuts of steel plate to replace them.
My son and his mate have been having fun with it lately learning about the incompressibility of water and breaking shit. Yes I know this setup was not optimal but I had the table low as I was putting something long through the slots in the side panels.
This old press_1.jpg
Apparently it's going to get it's own YouTube channel...

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Are you saying the press plates or base of the jack? If it's the press plates thanks for the heads up as I thought they were steel. Looks like I need to send my Dad on a mission to his mates and try to get a few offcuts of steel plate to replace them.
My son and his mate have been having fun with it lately learning about the incompressibility of water and breaking shit. Yes I know this setup was not optimal but I had the table low as I was putting something long through the slots in the side panels.
View attachment 406961
Someone might have already changed them, but I'm talking about the spreader plates on the bottom, the originals are normally made of cast on the cheap chinese presses.

1707993414402.png

ausdb

Being who he is
I actually have tried to use it for something useful. This is the Uri Gellered rack Vs the standard version.
I still need to cut a couple of cauls to support the profile of the extrusion before I go full send on it.
I plan on heating the crap out of the section that is going to be bent with a heat gun, then make sure I only use this rack for someone else's bike:cool:

Uri Geller rack 2.jpg

Uri Geller rack.jpg

Uri Geller rack 3.jpg

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
Someone might have already changed them, but I'm talking about the spreader plates on the bottom, the originals are normally made of cast on the cheap chinese presses.

View attachment 406988
thanks @Flow-Rider hadn't thought to check that... mine have a nice "ting" sound.. so hopefully steel?
lots of rusty bits n bobs are good, steel and a few chunks of polycarbonate (and u-channel frame for particular hub studs/bearings)
1707994354108.png

as for thread crap.. fuggit, soft drift will work fine :p
1707994385241.png

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
A few years back I made a SD components dynamic volume chamber/DSD runt/chickadee etc for my Revelations.

I took my time on everything, except the very last part. The IFP.

I just wanted to get it in the fork to see how it went. The IFP has always been the bit of shame in the back of my mind :p

FF to a month ago and I started thinking I should finally make a proper IFP for it. Messaged @link1896 (and Dougal) a month ago to ask them what they thought was the best IFP (material, shape etc).

IFP Shame:
20240228_164929.jpg

New and improved IFP:
Compress_20240228_192827_7348.jpg

20240228_163438.jpg

20240228_163432.jpg

Compress_20240228_192828_8644.jpg

Attachments

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
A few years back I made a SD components dynamic volume chamber/DSD runt/chickadee etc for my Revelations.

I just wanted to get it in the fork to see how it went. The IFP has always been the bit of shame in the back of my mind :p

FF to a month ago and I started thinking I should finally make a proper IFP for it. Messaged @link1896 (and Dougal) a month ago to ask them what they thought was the best IFP (material, shape etc).

IFP Shame:
View attachment 407392

New and improved IFP:
View attachment 407397
View attachment 407395
View attachment 407396
View attachment 407394
Is it metal now? How does the weight of the piston compare? I like the idea of the double seal self-squaring(?) the piston in the bore though.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Is it metal now? How does the weight of the piston compare? I like the idea of the double seal self-squaring(?) the piston in the bore though.
It's delrin. Would be a little heavier than the original, being a bit bigger, but it is slightly hollow so wouldn't be much in it.

One of the o-rings is the main sealing seal (top one), the bottom groove is slightly smaller so that o-ring is mostly just guiding/keeping the piston square.

I do have some NBR u-cup seals on order that I want to try on a different IFP. It will be similar (to this one), but with the u-cups opposing each other. Upper one sealing the chamber, lower one sealing the positive air spring side.

beeb

It's delrin. Would be a little heavier than the original, being a bit bigger, but it is slightly hollow so wouldn't be much in it.

One of the o-rings is the main sealing seal (top one), the bottom groove is slightly smaller so that o-ring is mostly just guiding/keeping the piston square.

I do have some NBR u-cup seals on order that I want to try on a different IFP. It will be similar (to this one), but with the u-cups opposing each other. Upper one sealing the chamber, lower one sealing the positive air spring side.
That makes more sense (the Delrin). In the lathe pic it looks shiny and I wondered if itvwas stainless or something... Love your work and keen to hear how it goes!

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
That makes more sense (the Delrin). In the lathe pic it looks shiny and I wondered if itvwas stainless or something... Love your work and keen to hear how it goes!
Hopefully this cough I've had for near on 4 weeks fucks off in the next day or so and I can test it out.

link1896

Mr Greenfield

IFP Shame:
View attachment 407392

New and improved IFP:
View attachment 407397
View attachment 407395
View attachment 407396
View attachment 407394
Very cool dude, well done. Enjoy the experimentation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Had to hang around at work waiting for the missus to finish at her school, so why not make a topcap. Gramophone finish was the quickest (and trickest looking thing) I could think of to do.
IMG_20240313_200747_618.jpg

IMG_20240313_200747_701.jpg

IMG_20240313_200747_541.jpg

Decided to polished then clear coat it instead of just polishing it like the spacers.

Might have to revisit that decision at a later date.

Last edited:

beeb

Had to hang around at work waiting for the missus to finish at her school, so why not make a topcap. Gramophone finish was the quickest (and trickiest looking thing) I could think of to do.
View attachment 407767
View attachment 407768
View attachment 407769

Decided to polished then clear coat it instead of just polishing it like the spacers.

Might have to revisit that decision at a later date.
So, what song does it play when you put the needle on it? :p