eBike with best reliability and repairable.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Cheers @Stredda .

I've been thinking about it and yeah shimano is off the list for that reaason. Pity, they seem ok but locking out thrid parties while not having an adequate supply chain is a real dick move - somthing I'd expect from sram!

Bosch is on the list but they have just changed mounts. Might not be a problem as they will probably keep the bigger mount for normal bikes. Would give yamaha a crack. I'd prefer those two over the spesh just because of the market share but there have been some solid deals on the levo a few months ago so it's hanging in there.

At the moment only one of my riding mates has crossed over (my ebike is a hardtail commuter) but the rest of us are getting jittery!
You do have to keep in mind that even if the motor mounts remain the same the new motors aren't usually compatible with the older batteries or controllers. You would have to replace the whole system and that may not be possible due to things like the battery size. I think with Bosch you should be at least reasonably safe that they will still stock the older motors for a reasonable amount of time.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The only thing I would worry about with a kit build would be battery mounting. There are several torque sensing kit motors on the market now, I would say torque sensing is essential for (technical) off road riding.
They've got some good reviews with the proper frame mounted motors, Chinese make pretty much all the motors and batteries in any case. If the named brands want to play all these games with proprietary parts, it would make me buy one even faster. Easy and cheap to have a spare Bangfang motor sitting there so you're still on the bike if your main motor needs repairs too.

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
They've got some good reviews with the proper frame mounted motors, Chinese make pretty much all the motors and batteries in any case. If the named brands want to play all these games with proprietary parts, it would make me buy one even faster. Easy and cheap to have a spare Bangfang motor sitting there so you're still on the bike if your main motor needs repairs too.

I thought about going down the build a Chinese E-Mtb a couple of years ago and once again did the maths and roughly it would cost me about $8000 probally more to build one up these days. I can get a new Giant reign e-mtb for that money or pay $2000 more and get a Mondraker Crafty carbon. While the Bafang are good motors I'm not that sure about Chinese E-mtb frames?

Flow-Rider

Burner
I thought about going down the build a Chinese E-Mtb a couple of years ago and once again did the maths and roughly it would cost me about $8000 probally more to build one up these days. I can get a new Giant reign e-mtb for that money or pay $2000 more and get a Mondraker Crafty carbon. While the Bafang are good motors I'm not that sure about Chinese E-mtb frames?
I've run a carbon Chinese frame before, had no issues other then sourcing spare parts.
I could transfer many of the parts I already have onto an E frame which would make the build cheaper for me.

Vitus makes a low entry bike with one of the Banfang motors but I haven't seen them sold here.

1713579699158.png

boyracer

Likes Dirt
95 Nm? Aren't most 85 Nm?

Group buy? I'd go one for 5k. Happy to do the work, like Rusty, that's the bit i enjoy the most.

Flow-Rider

Burner
95 Nm? Aren't most 85 Nm?

Group buy? I'd go one for 5k. Happy to do the work, like Rusty, that's the bit i enjoy the most.
I'm not sure how they rate them, I've seen some reviews of the M800s and they seem quite powerful.

It's buyer beware with all this Ali stuff, you really need to do your own research into reviews to see if it meets your expectations.
I'm just looking at them as a low entry e-bike, if I wanted one as a main everyday MTB I would most likely go to a big name brand.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005136245066.html?spm=a

1713581521078.png
1713581470147.png

Stredda

I'm not sure how they rate them, I've seen some reviews of the M800s and they seem quite powerful.

It's buyer beware with all this Ali stuff, you really need to do your own research into reviews to see if it meets your expectations.
I'm just looking at them as a low entry e-bike, if I wanted one as a main everyday MTB I would most likely go to a big name brand.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005136245066.html?spm=a

View attachment 408774View attachment 408773
Is that like Chinese lumens though?;)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Now you're getting pedantic:D.
I never expect the world for half price but whatever the world gives me for free I'll take.;)
The only flawed part of that race is the 120Nm vs 85Nm only works on take off/acceleration or on the trail for punchy short efforts, once they reach 25kph on the tarmac its all rider fitness.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The only flawed part of that race is the 120Nm vs 85Nm only works on take off/acceleration or on the trail for punchy short efforts, once they reach 25kph on the tarmac its all rider fitness.
I'd expect them to be both unrestricted otherwise it would be pointless like you say. Heeps of other tests out there, I saw one ages ago where they test top speeds. You're only going to get what you pay for most of the time. I won't be spending 12k on any e-bike I'll tell you that much.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
not that sure about Chinese E-mtb frames
I think there are some reliable brands. Most folks seem to do dengfu builds. I did look at this but the pricing is fairly off. Looking at about a $7k build if I calculated the duties correctly.

I'd go one for 5k.
Volition do a dengfu frame bafang for under $5k. I swear they could sell so much more if they just kept the graphics and branding to a minimum! I will warn you there are some dubious things that don't stack up though (like pairing a 140mm fork with 185mm rear travel bike!)

This one seems more reasonable, but the price is higher than I expect. Might as well get something off the shelf for that price. Only real benefit is you get a bafang that's got a 45kph speed limiter instead of having to pay another few hundred for someone to unlock your bosch/shimano.

THey also do frame kits but $4k for frame plus motor/battery is once again on the high side compared to buying new. They aren't even that light at 23.5kg give or take albeit they do have huge batteries 700Wh+.

Stredda

My old Levo SL only has 35Nm and I can smoke a guy I know that has a homemade FrankenTrance with a hub motor front and rear and god knows how many watts, when we ride a proper single track climb with rocks, roots and switchbacks. Sure, he flogs me on a fire trail climb, but that's the only place he's faster.