Oops!...I Did It Again. Yeti ASR

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
I know this is a bad idea, but I did it anyway.

I have been riding the Specialized Epic Evo for 2 years because Yeti didn't have a XC bike to suit my usual days out. The Epic has been basically flawless, but I feel dirty riding a Specialized, so I've gone full retard and bought an ASR to do a frame swap. I've had a number of Yeti's in my time, and they have all been fabulous bikes, but they tend to meet an untimely end. Luckily with their lifetime warranty and fabulous service from Rowney Sports I've never been left bikeless.

Time for another never ending packet of Tim Tams.

1.jpg

I wasn't sure about the half-half paint job online, but in person it looks stunning. I've just done a straight frame swap with the Epic Evo and I think the orange fork looks great on this build. The only new parts are a OneUp V3 seat post as the seat tube is larger, and I put the Trickstuff Piccola brakes on that I ordered several years ago.

2.jpg

I love the details on this frame. I thought the back half was just painted black, turns out it is raw carbon with clear coat which gives it a cool marble effect in the sun.

3.jpg

I'm a sucker for a good head badge.

4.jpg

One reason I hadn't used the Piccola brakes on the Epic was they didn't have an adapter for the new Shimano I-spec mounts. They released a shifter mount this year (black) and my very clever dad made me a mirror image version (silver) to mount the I-spec dropper lever for a clean cockpit.

5.jpg

These brakes are incredible in person. The level of detail on the machining and finish is very impressive. It is hard to appreciate just how small the lever mount is until you see them in person. Here you can see an XTR shifter is massive in comparison.

6.jpg

I did buy some black Fox stickers to match the Yeti writing on the downtube. Because matchy matchy.

7.jpg

The caliper is also beautiful on the Piccola and looks very nice with the black Shimano rotors.

8.jpg

9.jpg

The build came in at 9.65kg including XTR pedals and a 150mm dropper post. Pretty tidy indeed. I don't really need a 150mm dropper post, but the seat tube is so low that a 100mm or 125mm dropper post wasn't long enough to stay below the minimal insertion line.

The only issue with the build is that the Yeti chain guide hits on my XTR crankset. I think this is a specific problem with the 162mm narrow Q factor crankset. I might try to modify it over the weekend.

Now I just need some actual time to go riding....

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I know this is a bad idea, but I did it anyway.

I have been riding the Specialized Epic Evo for 2 years because Yeti didn't have a XC bike to suit my usual days out. The Epic has been basically flawless, but I feel dirty riding a Specialized, so I've gone full retard and bought an ASR to do a frame swap. I've had a number of Yeti's in my time, and they have all been fabulous bikes, but they tend to meet an untimely end. Luckily with their lifetime warranty and fabulous service from Rowney Sports I've never been left bikeless.

Time for another never ending packet of Tim Tams.

View attachment 409082

I wasn't sure about the half-half paint job online, but in person it looks stunning. I've just done a straight frame swap with the Epic Evo and I think the orange fork looks great on this build. The only new parts are a OneUp V3 seat post as the seat tube is larger, and I put the Trickstuff Piccola brakes on that I ordered several years ago.

View attachment 409083

I love the details on this frame. I thought the back half was just painted black, turns out it is raw carbon with clear coat which gives it a cool marble effect in the sun.

View attachment 409084

I'm a sucker for a good head badge.

View attachment 409086

One reason I hadn't used the Piccola brakes on the Epic was they didn't have an adapter for the new Shimano I-spec mounts. They released a shifter mount this year (black) and my very clever dad made me a mirror image version (silver) to mount the I-spec dropper lever for a clean cockpit.

View attachment 409087

These brakes are incredible in person. The level of detail on the machining and finish is very impressive. It is hard to appreciate just how small the lever mount is until you see them in person. Here you can see an XTR shifter is massive in comparison.

View attachment 409088

I did buy some black Fox stickers to match the Yeti writing on the downtube. Because matchy matchy.

View attachment 409089

The caliper is also beautiful on the Piccola and looks very nice with the black Shimano rotors.

View attachment 409090
View attachment 409091

The build came in at 9.65kg including XTR pedals and a 150mm dropper post. Pretty tidy indeed. I don't really need a 150mm dropper post, but the seat tube is so low that a 100mm or 125mm dropper post wasn't long enough to stay below the minimal insertion line.

The only issue with the build is that the Yeti chain guide hits on my XTR crankset. I think this is a specific problem with the 162mm narrow Q factor crankset. I might try to modify it over the weekend.

Now I just need some actual time to go riding....
That clear over raw carbon always looks so good in person, very hard to capture in pics.

(PS: Might want to check the fork axle nut locking tab, looks to be hanging loose in the pic of it)

Mattyp

Cows go boing
That clear over raw carbon always looks so good in person, very hard to capture in pics.

(PS: Might want to check the fork axle nut locking tab, looks to be hanging loose in the pic of it)
That's a keen eye Dr.beeb, next you'll be telling him his chain appears to be on backwards, or maybe the camera just didn't pick up the details of the stamping in the photos.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Can we call you Brittany? That’s a fine looking steed and an awesome weight with a dropper.

Was following my brother downhill on his SB140 holy moly does that rear triangle flex doesn’t seem to slow him down though.

k3n!f

Luckily enough I received the bike when I had a nice break in my work schedule. Managed 133km on dirt last week with 3737m of vertical. Followed that up yesterday with a day trip to Maydena to dial the suspension in. Still have some fiddling to do, but it is a great bike 10/10 so far. The brakes get an 11/10, I honestly don't know how they got this much power out of a 2 piston caliper.

IMG_4720.jpg

Absolute work of art.

Although, my favourite part of this is that you had a Specialized, enjoyed it and still hated the brand enough to get rid of it.
I'm exaggerating a bit, the Specialized has been a great bike. I mostly just love my Yeti's, when I crash I bleed turquoise.

Thanks, double checked and it is done up tight.

Very nice machine! Is that whole rear triangle the clear coated raw carbon too?
Yep, looks fabulous in person!

That's a keen eye Dr.beeb, next you'll be telling him his chain appears to be on backwards, or maybe the camera just didn't pick up the details of the stamping in the photos.
Ha! Love the attention to detail on rotorburn :)

Thankfully, the logos don't show up in the photos but the chain is on the right way. Made me look though...

k3n!f

Love this.
Buy’s XC bike with a personal history of breaking, sends it down Maydena.
Yeah, seems legit right?

I'll probably ride on dirt 100 times this year, and probably only get to Maydena for 2 of them. I've bought a bike that suits the 98% of riding that I do, accepting that for 2% I'll be under biked. My ride this afternoon is more representative of what I normally do. Basically, in every direction from my house a good dirt loop involves ~1000m of climbing and some fun descending that is often steeper and more technical that the blue runs I stick to at Maydena.

Also, not all Yeti riders are dentists. Someone has to ride them like they are supposed to be ridden ;)

IMG_4723.jpg

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Yeah, seems legit right?

I'll probably ride on dirt 100 times this year, and probably only get to Maydena for 2 of them. I've bought a bike that suits the 98% of riding that I do, accepting that for 2% I'll be under biked. My ride this afternoon is more representative of what I normally do. Basically, in every direction from my house a good dirt loop involves ~1000m of climbing and some fun descending that is often steeper and more technical that the blue runs I stick to at Maydena.

Also, not all Yeti riders are dentists. Someone has to ride them like they are supposed to be ridden ;)

View attachment 409217
Nah in my head you’re sending the hardline course. Full seat height, full spandex, Oakley speed dealers, two bottles on the frame, Gu’s taped to bars.

I fully endorse buying for both practicality and what stirs the loins ( fwark your loins must be cooked after that weekend of riding).

I have never been able to do it. That’s why I sold my banshee spitfire, and built my hardtail after popping a disk. A hardtail that I’ve since stopped riding because what you really need to do (as recommended by both my boss and physio) with a ruined lumbar is buy and ride dirtbikes!

An xc bike is way too practical for what I actually do with my cotic bfe.
And the moto I would honestly be quicker walking at a brisk pace for 80% of the trails I ride.