Search results

1. MARKL

COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Tonight we will tick over 400,000 people world wide confirmed with Covid-19. Current WHO numbers... Coronavirus cases - 392,440 Deaths - 17,149 Recovered - 103,396 So the mortality rate is currently 4.36% (17,149/392,440) The thing that scares me is...
  2. MARKL

There was a dude at the local supermarket today with a trolley overflowing with nothing but bread...bread FFS....it's not like it has a shelf life or anything...
  3. MARKL

France has now suspended bills and rents, same as Italy. Britain is instead going with 'herd immunity'. Shows the benefit of Brexit and not having to take instruction from/work with Brussels...
  4. MARKL

The economic plan (i am not really sure of the use of the word 'plan' in this case) seems...not well targeted. People haven't missed mortgage/rent payments yet because of Covid lock downs. Instead we seem to have given people more money for their dunny roll fortresses. If you are living paycheck...
  5. MARKL

Not wanting to poke the bear but that is a 0.1% mortality rate... Depending on which numbers you believe that would mean the Covid 19 mortality rate is 10 - 30x higher than the 'common flu'
  6. MARKL

27.5 is dead

32" is where it at, 203.2mm x 12.7 axle, 74 tooth cassette...you know you want it
  7. MARKL

Walk or ride a steep hill

I struggle on the straights as you come to the waterbars and it steepens up the front wonders...more weight to the rear and then break traction, cleaned it on the fatbike though
  8. MARKL

What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Took it to Derby...effing awesome
  9. MARKL

Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

I am scared to open up this story, it could go either way
  10. MARKL

The thermal mass of double brick can be a double edged sword , especially in long periods of hot weather. In a new build you would insulate the inner skin of brickwork to stop it heating up.
  11. MARKL

Flow-Rider is in Bris-Vegas, my point was once the thermal mass heats up, which it will do with a few 40+ degree days, it is going to radiate back into the house - which I reckon is why it feels as though the insulation is making the house hotter. When we did the thermal modelling we used a...
  12. MARKL

About 12 years ago at work I had a housing project with some research funds attached as part of a 'green' initiative - we were able to do a lot of thermal modelling - we tried out everything - insulation, orientation, window sizes, different glass types, different construction techniques...
  13. MARKL

Shimano Loosen Microspline License Rules

I totally agree that hubs, cassettes etc should be totally open standards. How can it be a 'standard' if it isn't open? In my view once you have to licence it, it becomes a proprietary system and should be advertised as such 'look we changed something you will never notice for 3% improved wank...
  14. MARKL

I read your statement, Shimano press releases, journo storeys and at the end of the day my statement stands. No improvement over XD and no way Shimano were ever going to adopt a SRAM hub standard.
  15. MARKL

I’m with Moorey on this one. Why bring out a new standard that isn’t as good? The biggest reason is pride, Shimano were never going to adopt a standard developed by SRAM
  16. MARKL

The mountain bike world would be a better place if Micro Spline didn’t exist and Shimano had adopted XD
  17. MARKL

Sram standardize derailleur hanger.

When Syntace brought out the X12 rear axle (142mm) it came with standard derailleur hanger. Given mountain biking's commitment to standards this should last about 3 minutes after all the majors have signed on.
  18. MARKL

What's some good, cheap leg armour?

You must have been dehydrated after 15m of crying. Glad you got a hug If you are going to armour up make sure you get something that is comfortable for the riding you are doing. Trail riding requires lots of pedalling, so prioritise this over ultimate protection. It won’t won’t protect you if...
  19. MARKL

What's some good, cheap leg armour?

How big was the scratch? Did it require stitches? Blood transfusion? Improve your cred on the trail?
  20. MARKL

Librem 5 - the anti apple/google phone

At the end of the day nothing is free, chances are if you don’t pay for it you are the product