Search results

1. P

BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

Goobags posted a photo in this thread of his with the front mounted (mostly?) to the windscreen rather than the roof.
  2. P

BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

On the windscreen because of roof length or visual reassurance?
  3. P

Collarbones

My small piece of anecdata… I went OTB pretty slowly fifteen months ago at the opening day of Lake Mountain. Trail was absolutely packed, so the train wasn’t going very fast (not that I ever go that quickly), and to be honest I have no idea what I must have been doing to manage to go OTB. Maybe...
  4. P

So where are the photos of the updated design?
  5. P

As a longtime member of Farkin/Rotorburn, can I say that I find the current pile-on in this thread unedifying. I don't know any of the participants personally (either here or in real life) but I have got lots of great info over the years from most—and quite possibly all—of you. I generally...
  6. P

Advice for a flat pedal newb

Can’t speak from personal experience, but my main riding buddy switched to flats about six months ago after 35 years of clips. He’s not a superstar, but he’s pretty competent, fast and fearless. He wanted to learn to manual, and just experiment more generally. First ride he almost crashed...
  7. P

Best mobile coverage for Strava/fitbit etc

It is your phone. Read this, in particular the last sentence. “App Data Usage While recording there is no data usage unless you're viewing the maps, or have Live Segments or Beacon turned ON. Otherwise, the app just uses GPS while recording. Once you've finished recording the app will need to...
  8. P

Best mobile coverage for Strava/fitbit etc

I’m no expert, but I thought this as well. I rode at Lake Mountain one month ago. Couldn’t get on the net (Telstra network) at start of ride, and couldn’t get Siri to work in car on way back down at end of the day, but my iPhone still tracked the ride on Strava.
  9. P

A telephoto lens would make Pink Bike’s Grim Donut’s wheels look smaller relative to the car. Whereas a relatively wide-angle lens would produce this effect. And let’s face it, the geometry of the bike is so ridiculous every photo of it looks fake.
  10. P

One day near Melbourne

I reckon you can add Harcourt to that list. It’s well signposted and there’s not many trees, so the trails are very obvious.
  11. P

A mate built one that he can mount to (and dismount from) the existing roof rack system on his work Navara dual cab.
  12. P

Balance Bikes

Echoing light weight and simple, like nearly everybody here. And keep the same priorities as they get older. Our road bikes weigh ~5% of our weight and our MTBs weigh ~20%. Lots of young kids are on bikes that weigh half as much as they do! Imagine your trail bike was more than twice as heavy!
  13. P

MTB/Cycling Specific Physio?

In metro Melbourne, so no good to you, but Mitch Anderson at Shinbone Medical is a physio, a qualified GP and the world 24hr record holder (894km).
  14. P

New bike choice advice

Just a quick clarification for you… The Fuel EX 8 has an all-aluminium frame. The tubes are hydroformed and the welds near the headtube are really nicely finished, so it’s easy to assume its carbon, but it isn’t. Only models starting with a 9 have carbon. The brand new 2020 carbon models are...
  15. P

Tyre Plugs/Patching Tubeless

I’ve had success using an old fashioned patch repair kit (patch with orange surround and rubber cement) on the inside of the tyre to repair a hole in the sidewall.
  16. P

2008 Tance X1 vs modern enduro bikes climbing?

I went from a 2008 Trance X2 to a 2017 Trek Fuel EX 9.8. My X2 didn’t have any sort of lockout or on-the-fly adjustment at either end, and I couldn’t believe how much of a pogo stick it was when I hopped back on it after three days demoing the Fuel EX and a Remedy. Riding up and down is so much...
  17. P

Project Demo days / Demo Program

To my mind a test ride in the car park is the equivalent of a regular car test. But can’t imagine my local Range Rover dealer happily letting me demo a new car in the high country for the weekend.
  18. P

So at the risk of derailing the topic a bit (but hopefully not entirely), if you find the difference between bikes can be profound, how could you be 99% sure you’d want to buy a particular bike (as you posted earlier) before you’d even ridden it? I’m not trying to sound facetious. I’m...
  19. P

Genuine question from somebody who’s only ridden a couple of bikes: shouldn’t sizing be the easy bit of picking a bike without actually having ridden it? Seems like measuring your current bike and comparing with the geometry spec charts should identify the right-sized bike pretty easily most of...
  20. P

This. Is it really going to be a demo program? (Will you be sending out bikes that have already been demoed?) Or a regular sale with a generous, no-questions-asked return policy? (New bikes only?) If you are only going to send brand new bikes, then you need to get full payment up front...