Search results

1. S

Buying a e-bike online, risky?

If you live remote then warranty from buying online could be a concern. But most direct to consumer brands have partner stores for warranty issues or they'll sort out pick up. If you're remote, this could still be a long way away. Either way - it may involve boxing the bike to send back. Buying...
  2. S

Ebike Standards.......

e-waste is a big issue for the bike industry with e-bikes, especially with the rate that systems are being updated (and improving!). There needs to be a move to a few standards, for all of the reasons made. As given the choice, who wouldn't like to be able to upgrade the motor/battery on a frame...
  3. S

Riding in Europe

Well I may be a dirty roadie at times but Nice has some of the best road riding around - DM me and I can dig out some gpx files from my dirt bag era 2010-2012, where I had couches to stay around the world and riding new places was a reason for being.
  4. S

Riding in Europe

Glad it worked at @Jpez - sounds like you had an amazing time. I've only ridden road in Nice, I used to help out a friend there with some guiding. If that was an option then you can hire a bike from Cafe du Cycliste in the old town/Port. But - one of the OG DH World Cup trails isn't far off at...
  5. S

bellingham Washington state

I rode in Bellingham in 2019 - so good! High quality trail riding where you can work for the vert. And so much loam.
  6. S

TPU inner tubes. Tubolito. etc

I've use Tubolight and Pirelli - both have been good. The valves can be the weak point in a way, if you take the core in an out recklessly, as you can strip the threads in the plastic. I had the Tubolights in my wife's new wheels as she did course practice at the 2018 XCO Worlds course - no...
  7. S

Riding in Europe

The video captures i pretty well. You can totally stick in the park. That video starts at the main lift station and the first trail Ludo heads down is super fun. There is another lift higher up that does a weird flow trail that is mostly board walk above a boulder field. So the penalty for...
  8. S

Riding in Europe

Really? I've visited Zermatt and Verbier in mid September before, so you must just be missing it by days! Bugger. Plenty of other places to go though. I'm a Swiss fan I guess, but if you're happy to not be in a bike park. most trails are also accessible by bus. They have bike racks and go over...
  9. S

Riding in Europe

There would be plenty to explore up behind Nice, but it won't be the truly alpine big mountain experience - just less likely to get shat on by weather changes though. Same with Finale. In terms of ticking the box of things to do, I'd check out Verbier. I believe it's still open then. The town...
  10. S

TAS Found Shimano 4-pot brake set

Hey @beezlbub I have some, will DM
  11. S

TAS Dragon Trail Derby to St Helens , March 16-18 2023.

I did the Dragon Trail this year along with the first one. You're spot on @smiffy it is tough. I think people underestimate it, and just look at the distances. But purpose built singletrack is very taxing to race - there's a lot of concentration and a lot of input. You need to be fit! I think...
  12. S

BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

Measure your wheelbase, calculate 60% of it. Nothing should protrude beyond that distance from your rear axle. Not a kayak on your roof, PVC pipe coming home from bunnings, a ladder, or a bike rack (including bikes). That's a very simple way to put it, but that's the rule. It seems like...
  13. S

Product Review Shingleback Offroad Lite vertical bike rack

That's covered off all the main points for sure!
  14. S

What happened to XC bikes and did we give up on thru axles already?

I've been looking into sub 2k or $1500 bikes a little, and the Merida Big Trail would be one of the better frames out there, with a through axle and good geometry, starting from $1399 for a whole bike. And I'm sure they'll have offers better than that at 99. I agree that QR is often fine - but...
  15. S

Increasing 12 speed durability - 9 speed conversion??

Where's the durability concern? I've been on Shimano 12-speed since mid 2019 and found the durability way better than 10 and 11 speed gear. Maybe I'm riding differently than before. Another option if you want to pursue this is find the SRAM Eagle eMTB gear. 8sp 10-50, single click shifter. The...
  16. S

BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

I tested the 412. Nice rack, lower weight limit than some. It can only be fitted so far into your hitch given the expanding wedge system. This means it can still clear a spare tyre though, which is handy. Having the dampening assembly to lower it down is awesome, especially for the price. It...
  17. S

Well they're not expensive if people don't have the skill set to fab them up themselves, or aren't willing to risk the implcations of a backyard job dropping bikes on a public road at high (or low) speed. I've seen some excellent home made racks out there - and some nightmares. Same for...
  18. S

They're all pretty compact racks, so it depends what bikes you're carrying. You'll need to be good with Tetris to make modern MTBs fit with wider pedals (ie big platform pedals) wide bars, long wheelbases etc. Not impossible, but a bit more faff when loading/unloading compared to a newer rack...
  19. S

Yep, solid build and a reliable design. 27kg per bike limit should cover your e-bike. They come in lots of pieces so put some time aside to build it. Not as easy for full rear of your vehicle access as anything that has a swing away base option, or assisted lowering like Velocirax or the...
  20. S

Found: XTR M9010 Boost front hub

Sent you a DM