Search results

1. akashra

Schwalbe Procore for XC - worth looking at?

Some of you may have seen Schwalbe's new Procore system. If you haven't, go here. It definitely appears to be mostly aimed towards Gravity and DH, but what about for XC applications? At 200g per wheel it does seem rather heavy, but with the massive advantage of extremely low pressures...
  2. akashra

Dropper posts - where to start?

After years of having wayyyy to many bikes, I'm in the process of consolidating down to just four. The newest purchase is an Anthem Advanced 27.5, but I'm thinking of doing something different and maybe putting a dropper seatpost on it. What do I need to know about this new wizardry? Should...
  3. akashra

VIC SOLD - Giant Anthem 1 - 2008.

Over the next few days I'll have a number of bikes I need to be rid of - there's seriously too many and many have been in storage for years. First up: Item: 2008 Giant Anthem 1. Location: Craigieburn, Victoria Item Condition: Used. Has been in storage since June 2011. The last it was...
  4. akashra

Vinyl frame decals - where/who?

I have a few new bikes either recently purchased or to be purchase soon, and I'd like to add some small personal touches to them. To do this I'd like to get some custom frame decals made up - ones made of a suitable material that won't peel or fade. Plenty of stores get these done, but...
  5. akashra

Cameras - which one for commuting?

After getting hit by a car early this year in what was a mind-boggling obvious situation the driver should have seen, I've been off the bike since the start of March, and am a bit nervous now with particular local streets getting on the bike. The only reason I didn't have a camera on my bike or...
  6. akashra

NSW MTBA National Series Round 3 - Enduro (Sun 23rd)

Thought I should get a bit of a reminder up here that on Sunday 23rd February, in conjunction with the National Series round that's running at Moama, we'll also be hosting a 3hr, which is designed to be a bit lower key than the rest of the weekend. Saturday will be all the normal XCO racing, in...
  7. akashra

The ultimate stock for race number plates

Hopefully there's some event organisers who have some suggestions for this topic. Everyone who's ever done their fair share of races will know that different organisers use different materials for their race number plates. Some are stronger than others - some just tear at the slightest flick...
  8. akashra

Shimano FD-M770

Looking for an M770 front dérailleur to replace an M970 that has a seized spring. From memory the M770 was dual-pull, but the cable routing on the frame is top-pull if that affects what people have available. Not looking for a BB mount one, just a standard seat tube clamp. Prefer to use an...
  9. akashra

VIC 2012 Chase The Sun series

Entries are now open for the 2012 Chase The Sun series, which returns after a year away from the trails that were closed for much of early 2011. The format is much the same - four rounds of varying length around differing couses throughout Lysterfield Park. First up is the shorter 5 hour race...
  10. akashra

Parents put the brakes on children riding their bikes to school

Read this and started a separate conversation, but figured it might be worth inciting some discussion here: Maybe this is where we should be tackling the problem of participation...
  11. akashra

MTBA National Championships Team Relay

Just wanted to get a reminder up here that as with every other year, there's a team relay being run at the National Championships this weekend at Eagle Park, Adelaide. Eligibility requirements in the past have been that you've had to be entered in the XCO race, and that teams must be formed...
  12. akashra

Teaching kids to ride

The boss asked me the other day about obtaining some training wheels for his son. He's still struggling to get the hang of keeping the bike upright, and I suggested that rather than putting training wheels on, taking the pedals off (using it like a firstbike) might be an alternative way to...
  13. akashra

STOLEN [VIC] 2011 Cannondale RZ120 Two, stolen from Melb Uni

Posting this on behalf of someone else, I hope this is okay. Bike: 2011 Cannondale RZ120 Two Colour: Silver with white front lefty fork. Silver frame, black saddle. Date it was stolen: Monday 9th Jan, 2012 Where it was stolen: Melbourne University, behind the Old Geology South rack. Specs...
  14. akashra

VIC 2011/2012 MTBA All Mountain Cup Round 2 - Mt Buller

Event details: http://www.nationalseries.com.au/national-events?year=2012&month=1&view=event&id=4 Mt Buller MTB Trail map: here It seems worth pointing out that as an MTBA member, a lot of your money goes in to running the national series, yet very few people actually take up the opportunity...
  15. akashra

Cassette differences for use with Apex.

So I just added n+1 to the stable: A Specialized Crux, for cyclocross. But the plan is for it to double as my commuter, with slick tyres. However it's been suggested that another 11-32 cassette on that wheelset might be rather unnecessary. Does anyone have any experience how an Apex RD would...
  16. akashra

The weekly crits thread

I thought maybe it could be a good idea to have a single point-of-call thread for riders to find out where weekly/regular racing occurs in all areas, so that people can both find races to attend locally, or when they go interstate. If it's worthwhile to people, maybe this could make for a good...
  17. akashra

VIC 20" or 24" Pump track mess around bike

Been looking at basic 20 and 24" bikes, but I don't really need to go buying a new, high-end bike for the use it's going to get, I just want something to bring out occasionally and mess around with on the new pump track we've built. No particular budget, but I'm not looking for anything too...
  18. akashra

Melbourne trials riders wanted for input on area development

A current project we have going has scope and suitable materials just sitting around for the development of a trials area in Melbourne. I'm looking to grab some details of inner-Melbourne based riders who wouldn't mind giving some time for either feedback, or to provide input on what they would...
  19. akashra

Beaconsfield Festival and Dirt Riders Summer Series TT/XCC - Sat 19th (VIC)

A reminder that coinciding with the Beaconsfield festival, round three of the Dirt Riders Summer Series will be held on Saturday 19th Feb. We'll still be using Dallas Brooks for this time, but the start will instead be out on the main road, outside the IGA. Full details at...
  20. akashra

2011 Victorian Enduro Series

Since inevitably a thread on this will pop up, I felt it right to put one in place to kick things off. In line with general forum ettiquite, let's keep it to a single thread, unless things get out of control on a specific topic. First up, an amended calendard, as of 14/01/2011: 1 Geelong...