Search results

1. Coopz

Fixable?

Brand new tyre, only done 25k, go through a rock garden and notice this after I get home.. No leaks but is there anyway to glue or repair it? Or play it safe and chuck it..?
  2. Coopz

2.5 year old new bike still OK?

Hey I was in the process of buying a 2023 Merida Eone 60 500 from a local shop. It was on special but I just had some hesitation as it had a Rockshox Gold fork and I had one of them on my XC bike years ago and remember it was nothing really special.. OK for dirt but shitty on the rough stuff...
  3. Coopz

Buying a e-bike online, risky?

I've spent the last few weeks researching a decent entry level dualie. My budget is under 6k, 5k ideal, I can spend more (if it was a bargin) but I just can't warrant the costs of the higher end stuff. I'm always going to have the mindset 'it's a fricken push bike with a battery and motor'...
  4. Coopz

Wheel Wobble

I have a older Specialized XC and both wheels have a weird vertical wobbly, like they bob up and down, not visually but you can feel it through the bike. The tyres were replaced and the wheels are in line with no vertical or horizontal movement. The bearings seem OK as both wheels spin freely...
  5. Coopz

504w battery and STEPS E7000 motor OK for big rider?

I only get to ride maybe 2 or 3 times a month these days so my fitness is crap and when I do go for rides I struggle in the hills. Decided to look at getting a E-mtb. Maybe a Marin Trail 7 or something lower priced. My 'expert' mate said terrain and riders weight are the main factors with...
  6. Coopz

5 years for an alloy frame?

Weird question, I was speaking to a local bike mechanic on the weekend. He's been in the industry for over 20 years. Anyway he was talking about steel frame bikes making a big resurgence and I just said the 6 (decent) mtbs I've had in my life have all been alloy frames with no issues. He just...
  7. Coopz

When did the wording 'Analogue Bike' become a mainstream term?

Heard this word thrown around occasionally when talking about normal bikes. Now it just seems like a generic term, something almost elitist sounding by e-bike riders to describe poor people on regular bikes. I went for a group ride with 5 people on Friday night around the Sturt Gorge, 3 of us on...
  8. Coopz

Who the fuck uses red Loctite on pedals?

Bought my dad a second hand Trek hardtail for his birthday in a few weeks. It came with SPD pedals and he will just prefer flats so I went to take them off and fuck me what an adventure that was ..The original owner had some paranoia about the pedals coming loose as they were zip tied to the...
  9. Coopz

Handguards?

Doing some XC riding this evening while going through a fast segment I clipped a thin scrubby looking branch that unfortunately had some solid twigs in it. Despite wearing my Fox full fingered gloves I still managed to scratch up my finger and knuckles pretty good. It makes me wonder after years...
  10. Coopz

Have Suntour improved?

My wife needs a new fork for her bike. She has an old 120 Rockshox Recon set that has died. It's been reconditioned once but this time I think it's had it. Anyway entry level Rockshox are expensive so I looked at the Suntour Xcm 34 which is $180 cheaper than the RS. Bike shop guy said they have...
  11. Coopz

All the Covid bike purchases flooding the market?

Browsing Marketplace today and I couldn't help but notice their is a huge increase in the amount of second hand mountain bikes compared to a year ago. It seems the majority are less than 2 years old with the usual descriptions 'barely ridden' 'absolute weapon' ect. Most have been for sale for a...
  12. Coopz

Fixable?

Hey my wife has a hybrid gravel bike. It's 10 years old but it's only been ridden a dozen times (previous owner rode it once, nearly got hit my a bus and never rode again) anyway since I scored it a few months ago I've put new tyres, brakes and chain on it and it goes really well except the...
  13. Coopz

Pedal Cavalier?

Hey my dad turns 70 soon and has been getting on the riding bandwagon. He's currently riding a cheap and old Malvin Star road bike that needs some money thrown at it. Thought about buying him a more modern bike for his birthday. Had a look in 99 Bikes last week and saw the weirdly named Pedal...
  14. Coopz

Going back to a hardtail from a dualie?

Just wondering how many people have rolled back from a dual suspension bike to a traditional hardtail? I know the standard progress is to get a HT and upgrade once you muster the basics and want to go harder off-road but I'm over 40 now and tend to avoid jumps and I just coast around fast berms...
  15. Coopz

Turning flat bar into gravel bike?

Hey my 2 riding mates recently got the gravel bike bug. I don't enjoy drop bar bikes, tried 3 different bikes over the years and found them all uncomfortable after 1 hour. Was looking at using my old but bulletproof and daily ride Avanti Blade 2 flat bar as a hybrid gravel bike. It's alloy with...
  16. Coopz

Useless v-brakes are useless..

I bought an Avanti flat bar road bike recently that wasn't ridden for a few years. Replaced a few parts and have it a good clean up and it looks like new but the issue I'm having is the front brakes. They barely work and I'm running out of ideas.. I've tried the following.... -Cleaned the rim...
  17. Coopz

Bike mechanics?

Is it a recognised trade? Can anyone who knows how to fix a busted derailer call themselves a mechanic? Just scrolling through the local marketplace listings. So many bikes are owned and 'over serviced' by bike mechanics. I only know 2 guys who have done a course in the industry.
  18. Coopz

How hard for a noob to replace a fork dampener?

Have a 29er with the Revelation 35mm 140mm forks. It works well on most stuff but seems to struggle over really tough ground, I want to upgrade the dampener to the Pike charger. The kit comes Pre bled and ready to install. I've never messed with suspension. Completely clueless. A mtb savvy...
  19. Coopz

New pads cooked after 1 ride

I bought some new resin pads for my bike. It's a resin only rotor. Anyway I bedded them in with a few laps around the block. Then this morning I went for a short ride through the local trails. Brakes felt good, no issues then whole going down a steep area they lost all bite after 100m. I let...
  20. Coopz

Good flat pedals that won't gash your leg?

I made the transition to flat pedals 2 years ago after years of clipless xc riding. Tried some basic $40 Rockbros flat pedals and some slightly better Giant flats but both of them have the studded nail grips which work well but are razor sharp. Have scars all over my legs from slips and mishaps...