Search results

1. J

Specialized Epic Carbon v Santa Cruz Tallboy v Yeti SB 95 or ASR -5 C

Epic I decided to upgrade to 29 inch wheels and had a similar budget. Did a test ride on an Anthem 29er but wasn't inspired by owning yet another Giant (g + 1) so decided to have a go on the Epic Carbon Comp. I knew pretty quickly that was the bike for me. Anyway, 2 serious rides later and I...
  2. J

Convict (Dirt Works) 100 2012

It will be interesting to see if they make changes to the canoe bridge next year. The lack of alternate route for people not wanting to ride (due to the high water level), the delays getting everyone across and the resulting accidents must bring this into question. It has become an iconic...
  3. J

Helmets - are you really covered?

Have you seen the Wiggle TV ad that is running at the moment? I was somewhat intrigued by the fact that they were promoting helmets (amongst other things).
  4. J

As a regular racer and somebody that ensures I am covered with this respect I have not once had to wear an Oz standards helmet. The Mont tried to do this last year but backtracked and then decided to relax the rules - I'm not sure if they are enforcing them this year as they had originally...
  5. J

Some interesting responses that are good food for thought. The other thing I've just realised and based on the comments above is that the ad in question is using "scare tactics" by not being totally up front. This ad states the following "In Australia, its illegal to ride a bike without an...
  6. J

Anyone else seen the full page ad in the latest copy of Mountain Biking Australia trying to scare people out of buying helmets from overseas? Feels like a bad cigarettes can kill type ad. There is a link to the website that has more info: www.bicyclesafe.com.au Personally, I think this shows a...
  7. J

Bottlebutt 100 & Hairy-Butt 50 - 10th September

Any updates? At least when we can expect the next update?
  8. J

Rocky Trail's SHIMANO MTB Grand Prix Series 2011

That has to rank as one of the best team races I have done. We were so lucky with the weather and track as it it doesn't get much better than that. And Rocky Trail did a fantastic job - I can't fault the day and the vibe 10/10. Of course, it is somewhat enhanced by the fact that I finally got...
  9. J

Rocky Trail's SHIMANO MTB Grand Prix Series 2011

I notice there is a proposed junior loop. Will their be a kids race? If so then do we need to do anything to pre-register or is it just a case of turning up on the day? I've not told my son and he would be stoked if this is happening especially after the disappointment of The Mont and the...
  10. J

Fork service time??

My LBS recommended a service whenever the oil started leaking from the seals which I did. I've ridden the bike a lot and in very muddy conditions and after 3 years was finally told that the stanchions had worn and that they needed replacing. The bill to fix was $600, the same price as a new FIT...
  11. J

Capital Punishment 2011

That was a lot of fun!! The single track was some of the best I've encountered on a marathon race. There are always gripes but mine are so minor they're not worth mentioning. Well organised all round. I thought this was going to be a one off for me to say I've done it but will almost...
  12. J

Highland Fling - 2010

Pain, sweat and nausea sums it up for me. That was harder than last year's Angry Dr. Had nothing left when I reached the very depressing 10km to go sign but managed to crawl back to the finish line. I really don't understand why I wanted to put myself through that. I really don't understand why...
  13. J

Baby on the way.

My dad arranged our first biking holiday with me, my bother, sister and friends 6 weeks before the birth of my little sister. On the morning of our departure my mum's waters broke. What would you do? Well my dad took my mum to hospital, dropped her off and then came home so we could go off on...
  14. J

Best XC lights going around at the right price

I was in a similar situation a few months ago and looked at NiteLights, Deal Extreme etc. I already had a single set of Ay Ups and wanted a helmet light to supplement them. Reading the forums, the battery issue made me too nervous and in the end felt I wanted something more reliable. What...
  15. J

where to buy energy gels etc. online

Hammer Nutrition +1 for hammer nutrition. I thought it was crazy buying 4 jugs at a time but works out well worth it if you are regularly riding/training. At $1 per serve it's a no brainer. I find I don't get quite the same energy kick as using GU's but I certainly don't find myself running...
  16. J

Dirt Works NSW 100K 2010

Boring boring boring. And I spent over half-an-hour battling with their website to find the photos that they took of me after I fell off the bridge. I was laughing at the camera and thought they would have been worth the money. But they're not there. Come on guys, if you want us to part...
  17. J

Dirt Works NSW 100K 2010

The results don't have the correct start times I was in the first wave with one other and went over the timing mat at the back of the pack. The results have me starting at 7:10am on the dot. The other guy has been allocated to the 2nd pack and has him starting at 7:20am. So what has happened?
  18. J

Magicshine bike lights

Yes they have become too pricey I was close to buying a set of magicshines to supplement my single set of AY UPs but couldn't do it in the end. I remember the car fliers handed out by nitelights at the Scott when they were priced at just $120. Now that's a bargain. But I really don't like...
  19. J

Do you hit a brick wall some days?

So any thoughts about the benefits of having a gel before going out on a ride in the morning? My mid-week ride normally lasts for an hour and a quarter and is pretty intensive so I've always assumed that I need this to ensure I don't flag towards the end. Or to put it another way... how long...
  20. J

XC shorts - recommendations?

I have a pair of Ground Effect Double Happys and very pleased with them. They're light, well made and perfect for summer riding as they have quite short legs. I've been weighing up my options to buy an additional pair of shorts and will most probably get another of these. I've also worn some...