Search results

1. K

Advice: Deal

Long time no post. New bike. I'm liking 3 AM bikes: SC Nomad (build up so anything), Trek Remedy 8 ($4999 advertised), Giant Reign 0 ($3799 advertised). Specs on complete bikes are on their websites, but I am leaning towards the SC as LBS sells them and I have a good relationship with the...
  2. K

LBS bike maintenance

I use the LBS for regular servicing because I don't know which end of an allen key to hold or worse. (Well I can change a tyre or tube and even managed some rear pads on the fly once, but that's about it). What should I expect from a service on my bike? When I drop it off usually I get it...
  3. K

Don't laugh - my mum wants a MTB

She's almost 60. She thinks it'll be a change up from walking the dog. Its for her birthday and my bro and I will buy one (for as little as possible). It will be for road (footpath) use only. Any help appreciated. Probably don't want to go down the Huffy/Kmart/etc route if it can be...
  4. K

Steerer length query?

Hi, Noobish question but I think others may benefit from a good answer... Can someone with decent knowledge explain what I need to know to buy forks with regards to steerer length. Why do lenghts vary? Do lengths vary for the one frame or only between different frames? Or different...
  5. K

Noob question - What do you take riding?

I got caught out without a tube with the correct size valve on the weekend. The rims on the new bike I bought are not compatible with the spare tube I had from my last bike, and despite applying 6 patches I was unable to get going again for more than 500m before tube failed again. Luckily I...
  6. K

Killed my crap 1st bike, need another. HELP?

Wanting some help here. First MTB I had was a crap Schwinn Mesa for keeping up with the kids on the footpaths. Then some mates bought bikes and got me out on to the trails and the bug has bitten. I've basically killed the Schwinn, snapped derailleur hanger and munched rear derailleur last...
  7. K

Second hand bike prices

I'm new here and to be honest I'm probably interested in 2 things - learning a bit more and picking up a better bike. WRT to the 2nd bit, the pricing of second hand bikes is astounding/eye opening. After looking around here and reading a fair bit of what everyone has already posted I think I...
  8. K

Hello and help me make the most of here

Hi, I'm Keiran. I bought myself a cheap Schwinn Mesa MTB 2 years ago to get out on the cycle paths with my young 'uns. Since then I've got into some more serious XC with a few mates, and it's ramping up, I go every Sunday now. I'm getting better at staying upright on trickier surfaces. But...