Search results

1. D

2009 Sping Classics Thread

I watched at least some of the Tour of Qatar, although I do wish SBS would put their cycling on just a bit later. I always find that 12 is just when I want to start doing a few things before making lunch, so I rarely get to really watch until at least 12:30. Anyway it was pretty good, they...
  2. D

Lower neck pain HelP! :(

I would certainly recommend making sure that you are fitted properly and seeing a chiropractor. Assuming that there are no inherent mechanical issues with your body, the problem is that sitting hunched forward on the bike is very unnatural for the body, and it certainly isn't helped by...
  3. D

What was your worst day of riding?

My worst day was doing a MTB Orienteering event at Awaba. It was horribly muddy and after about 3 or 4 km I started getting chronic chain suck when ever I started putting any pressure at all on the cranks. So from then on even the smallest hills became a walk, generally together with some time...
  4. D

Crank Brothers egg beater pedals

I have run Eggbeaters for a few years now and love them. I don't seem to have any problems with accidental unclipping, and they are the best on muddy tracks.
  5. D

internal geared commuter

I have a couple of bikes that I use for my commute (30km 4 times per week), one of which has an internally geared hub. It's a SRAM S7 mounted on an old MTB with slicks, panniers and even fenders! Generally I find that it is around 5 minutes per trip slower than my standard MTB, which is around 5...
  6. D

My first incident

I would certainly back up what Areate said, a lot of drivers think at the time "It's just a bike it won't cost much so I won't worry about insurance." Then when they discover that they wrecked a $3000 bike they jack up and become real pricks about paying.
  7. D

Urban Polaris 2008 - Canberra 7 Dec

Personally I think that a cyclo-cross bike would be ideal for the Urban as what XC there is, is pretty basic.
  8. D

Lights?

Another light that is worth checking out is the Niterider MiNewt X2, which is comparable to the Ayup in most areas (weight, output, battery life, etc). I haven't priced them recently, but it was also around the same price. If you want to go up in price a bit you can also go for it in a dual...
  9. D

time trial bike

Cell bikes currently have a complete carbon TT bike for $2499. www - cellbikes - com - au/p_1631_CELL__2008_FULL_CARBON_BEAST_Triathlon_Bike__2499_Ironman_SALE_w_FREE_Road_Package I have no idea how good it is, but the price is about right.
  10. D

Getting your speed up

You may like to check that your brakes aren't rubbing. I know I have been caught a couple of times with not getting the wheel perfectly straight and then having it rub on the brakes. This would definitely lead to the symptoms you have described. Also I would agree with some of the other...
  11. D

Getting your speed up

I should have mentioned that you do need to build up your distance gradually, so you should not just go out and start doing 2 hour rides. The general recommendation is about 10% increase per week, so if you are currently doing around 5 hours per week, then you don't want to go much more than 5.5...
  12. D

Lift to 24 Hour Race

Thanks Dreggsy, I'll be taking a tent (4 person dome, so it packs up reasonably small), a couple of bags (one with my bike gear and one with other stuff), a small tool box, sleeping bag, air mattress, fold up chair, a bike, and I'm sure I'll manage to find a few other things. Do you think...
  13. D

Lift to 24 Hour Race

I am looking for a lift from the Hornsby/Berowra area down to the 24 hour race this weekend. I will be able to leave at any time on Friday, but earlier would be preferable as I would like to get in a couple of practice laps and get set up before it gets dark. Obviously happy to share costs...
  14. D

Getting your speed up

I doubt if 10 km a week is going to make much of a difference to your speed, either up or down. The general rule of thumb is that MTB kms have double the impact of road kms, so a 10km road ride is roughly equivalent to 5km on dirt. Generally there are a couple of areas where road riding can...
  15. D

Getting your speed up

Can you give us some idea of what sort of riding you are doing on the different bikes, such as how many kms you are doing, what sort of specific training, etc? Also when you started using the road bike did you use this to do a big jump in your weekly distance, or did it replace existing rides?
  16. D

Aussie MTBO team head to Poland for WOC '08

And the next update on the long qualification race: Today was the long qualification race. For me it was really awful. I crashed twice (slowly), managed to cut both hands, corked (slightly) one thigh and gashed the other. In addition I dropped my chain and rode down a couple of un-mapped...
  17. D

An update from Paul on the Sprint and Middle distance races. "AJ" is Adrian Jackson. G’day, Well we’re off and racing and have the first two races under our belts. Overall not a great start for the Aussies. Well, AJ came 4th yesterday in the sprint race and won gold today in the middle...
  18. D

Flat bar roadie - pros & cons commuting

One option you may like to look at is to go Flat Bar roadie, but add some clip on Aero Bars. This gives you the good control and visibility in traffic, but a reasonable areo position for when you are on a good fast section. You won't get a full areo tuck as the bars will be too high, but it...
  19. D

Never thought I'd do it but, Which one???

Personally I would go for the Quest, but it depends on what type of riding you are planning on doing. i.e just commuting, a bit of racing, touring, etc. I mountain bike and commute on a Dakota XC (what is now the Dragon Comp) and the 631 steel does give a great ride.
  20. D

For those who are interested in following the team, I just got this update from Paul Darvodelsky on their preparations for the MTBO WOC. Currently Paul and Alex Randell are based in Warsaw, and are doing a few MTBO and XC races. I’m back in Warsaw after a long weekend in Lithuania. Our plan...