Search results

1. S

Buying bikes from overseas

Anyone bought a bike online from overseas for (significantly) more than the $1000 threshold for GST exemption? Did you make it under the radar or did you get stung for GST? If so, how did you get charged? Does the courier company get billed and pass it onto you? Or is it more complex than that?
  2. S

Wheel building - question from first timer regarding ERD

So I've got some enduro wheels that I'm thinking to swap out the rims for something lighter for XC duties. The current rims are dt Swiss E512 with ERD OF 562, the rims I'm looking to change to are Easton Arc 24 with ERD of 558. My question is, will I be able to reuse the spokes from the current...
  3. S

Yeti SB5C sizing question

This is a call out to all Yeti SB5C owners. How do you find the sizing compared to other bikes? I tend to fall between L and XL sizing though my last few bikes have been XL. I'm looking to possibly purchase a used SB5C but im not sure about the size and it is interstate so i can't try it out...
  4. S

Cane Creek DBCoil INLINE - anyone had experience?

I'm a 40yo XC/trail rider on a XL Norco Sight, I ride the bike hard but well within its designed purpose and my DBInline shock keeps failing (note I am ~90-92kg with gear). Its in for warranty again, 3rd time this year. As a result of failing 3 times, Cane Creek have offered me one of their new...
  5. S

VIC DT Swiss freehub body

I'm looking for a DT Swiss shimano 9/10 speed freehub body, to suit 350 hub. Got any old dt Swiss hubs lying around?
  6. S

Bike fit - an interesting observation for numbers nerds

Having very long limbs for my height has always made bike fitting a challenge for me. I've currently got four bikes and, after a lot of experimenting with stem length, bar width and height, seat height, seat lay back, I've finally got them all fitting well. They are four quite different bikes...
  7. S

Stolen bike recovered after insurance replacement provided, what now?

Got a call from police saying that had possession of my stolen bike but I have already received the insurance replacement. They said usually the insurance company would take possession of the stolen bike and sell at auction. Has anyone been in this situation before? Were you able to buy the bike...
  8. S

Lake Mountain

Anyone ridden Lake Mountain recently? I rode it in May just before the winter season set in, the new descent was awesome but still pretty raw. Wondering how much it has bed in.
  9. S

SOLD As new 27.5 Schwalbe Magic Mary EVO Snakeskin TLE tyre

Item: As new 27.5 Schwalbe Magic Mary EVO Snakeskin TLE tyre. Location: Melbourne, inner north Item Condition: as new Reason for selling: too much tyre for my riding Price and price conditions: $60 pickup. $70 delivered to east coast states. Extra Info: Came stock on my 2016 Norco Sight...
  10. S

Managing insurance claims on stolen bikes

So my garage was broken into a couple of weeks ago and my custom built bike (high end build) was nicked. I provided a spreadsheet with full build breakdown and local supplier links to replacement parts, as well as info on the nearest spec complete bike on the market. The insurance company has...
  11. S

STOLEN Giant Trance custom build

STOLEN BIKE. Giant Trance, black XL frame, full custom build. RS Revs, RS Monarch, Stans/Hopes wheels. Stolen from "secure" garage in Brunswick, Victoria today, 3rd Nov. Please keep an eye out, reward offered for any info leading to its return.
  12. S

VIC SOLD Pivot Mach 5.7 Large

Item: Pivot Mach 5.7, Large (Pivots run a bit small). Location: Brunswick, Victoria Item Condition: Fastidiously maintained, excellent used condition. Cosmetic marks commensurate with normal use. Reason for selling: This is a very reluctant sale, however I had found myself riding mostly XC...
  13. S

Single DH ring on old SLX 3 x crankset?

I'm currently running a RF NW 34t in the middle ring position on an old SLX 3 x 9 crankset. This setup works fine, but I want to use the bike for both MTB and road touring during a trip OS and want to take a second ring for the road riding (maybe a 40t). I could get a NW, but they are expensive...
  14. S

shimano shoes, help me decide!

So I need new shoes, I'm a shimano fan and am trying to choose between the M240 (old model with custom fit) or XC61 (new model, not custom fit, one model down from M240 but has newer techology including "dynalast"). Any opinions on these two models? I have wide feet so the custom mold fit...
  15. S

Designing a custom built 650b/27.5 frame, looking for advice / opinions

I am currently finalising my custom design for a ChiTi XC/Trail hardtail to be built around a 120m fork (likely Reba RL). I want the bike to get back into some XC racing but still provide "trail fun". I have based my design on the Kona Explosif and Pivot Les with 120mm fork. I'm 189cm with...
  16. S

going 1x10, what front ring size?

I'm currently on a pivot mach 5.7, I'm a pretty fit, reasonably aggressive xc/trail rider. Im on 26/38t double with 11/36t cassette and find im in the 38t 95% of the time but have occasional hills where the 26t is just low enough. I'm currently looking to build a custom 1x10 27.5 titanium...
  17. S

choosing new full suspension XC/trail bike - comments?

Currently on a pivot Mach 5.7, awesome allround bike but most of my riding these days is XC though I still enjoy techy trails. Thinking about getting back into some 100km XC races and looking for a bike with bigger wheels that is a bit closer to XC than the Mach 5.7 (but still want it to be...
  18. S

Fox TALAS III oil service reassembly - help needed

I've always serviced my forks myself, but this is the first time on a TALAS fork. Its the Type III (2009-2010) which uses 3cc of fluid in each of the upper and lower chambers. Ive read the Fox Service help guide and watched the youtube vid but neither provide an answer to the issue I have...
  19. S

Fox float RL lockout lever removal?

I'm trying to service a set of 2012 fox float RL Evolution forks and buggered if I can figure out how to get the blue lockout lever off. All fox forks I've serviced before have three small grub screws you loosen to remove the lever, but these forks have no grub screws. Any ideas???
  20. S

Help me decide which XC/Trail wheels to buy !

Basically looking for a new set of wheels that are light, reliable and won't break the bank. Looking for a 21mm internal width as I like to run 2.25-2.3 tyres. I'm pretty much decided on stans arch ex rims but cant decide on hubs. I can get them as a factory wheelset on hope pro2 for $400, or...