Search results

1. F

24Hr racing advice

The best pit crews I had were the ones that shut up and didnt say anything as I rolled into the pits so that I could tell them what I wanted or needed before I forgot... it is soo annoying to start a new lap at 2am and remember that you were going to ask for fresh gloves or some salty food or...
  2. F

What does your day look like?

Cable Beach fat bike.... being unemployed has its benefits....
  3. F

The stupid questions thread.

I use the cheap version of this cutter that doesn't have a rachet. Ran the oilstone over the edge for razor sharpness and never damaged a hose since. I was originally planning to do a bit of a hack and re-engineer it by cutting and shutting in yellow clampy thing to support half the...
  4. F

Wheel Build Advice Thread

So you reckon I should just bite the bullet and re-spoke/re-nipple this wheel from scratch and then I will never have to worry about it again?
  5. F

Will do... once the rim tape comes off I'll assess the spoke length, but regardless of what I find the alloys will be going in the bin.
  6. F

I'll check over the weekend but spokes too short sounds like a reasonable explanation as the failures are so premature and consistent. Looks like there may be another wheel build in my future!
  7. F

What causes the head of the nipple to shear off? I have build maybe 10 wheels from scratch with no issues but my last one is frustrating me no end, mainly cos I built it for a mate who is giving me no end of grief about it because the heads of the spoke nipples are breaking off where the head...
  8. F

Number plate on bike rack

Not true... the law changed last year some time and you can now get auxiliary plates.
  9. F

Bleeding hydraulic brakes after 1 year - worthwhile?

Damn... until I saw these pics I was happy with a "if its working don't mess with it" approach. Looks like I will be dropping into Supercheap on the way home for some DOT fluid...
  10. F

What are you listening to NOW?

Currently bingeing on Steel Panther, sooo inappropriate yet hilariously funny and catchy tunes at the same time. My co-workers are looking at me weirdly as I giggle my way through the morning.
  11. F

What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Decided to finally service the misbehaving dropper post. Turns out the cartridge is buggered so after pricing parts and seeing how much slop there was I thought bugger it and bought a whole new post, going from external to internally routed. A little bit of swearing getting the cable through the...
  12. F

What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Changed gears on the singlespeed from the 32-14 commuting gear to 32-15... which will hopefully get me in the sweet spot for slowish commuting but low enough to be able to climb one of our local rail trails
  13. F

Rotorburn strava

OK, I am in....
  14. F

Wheel building questions, tips & advice

Thanks everyone... Since I laced both wheels up as 2x last night, that's how they will stay until I do my next spoke order and re-do as 3x. I need to practice anyway, one hub brand was no where near the spoke hole so I was considering re-lacing it anyway for practice. Amazing how I don't notice...
  15. F

Thanks Guys, much appreciated. Crisis averted, no fuckwit thread for me this time!
  16. F

I am not sure if this warrants a trip to the fuckwits thread, but I stuffed up when using an on line spoke length calculator and ordered the correct spokes for 2x rather than 3x that I normally build. There may have been red wine and possibly some Kraaken involved.... Given that its a 26" XC...
  17. F

The QUICK question thread.....

Hardcastle and McCormack?
  18. F

MTB South Island

Wow! Thanks for all the prompt replies, time to get the map out and start planning!
  19. F

MTB South Island

I am not sure how it happened, but my girlfriend has decided we should go on a 2 week holiday to the South Island of NZ with riding single track being the main focus, and some all day sightseeing style rides Any suggestions of must do parks and areas that we would kick ourselves if we...
  20. F

Is this a joke?

Sounds like wayyyyyy too much thinking is going on in this thread. I recommend you ditch all those fancy FD/RD eagle whatever thingys and get a single speed. That way you will only have 3 choices (sitting down pedalling, standing up pedalling or walking) but your bars will be super clean and...