Search results

1. scoobydid

How to be sunsmart?

The Cancer Council stores also offer 'sleeves' similar to arm warmers, but for sun protection. They also have other products designed for protection from the sun (as you would expect) including gloves and sun cream. They might have something there (or otherwise be able to advise) on other...
  2. scoobydid

Rigid 26" carbon fork suggestions

Saw these on eBay while looking for rigid forks for my wet weather commuter project. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2010-MOSSO-HM-Carbon-Fiber-Straight-MTB-Fork-V-Disc-/350405803598?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5195d03e4e However, my main choices are either Surly or Salsa forks.
  3. scoobydid

Sydney Cycleways

Google your local council's website (or any other council for that matter). Quite a number of them will have a link to cycleways in their area. Most cycleways that I'm aware of areusually a combination of road (usually quiet backstreets) and dedicated cyclways; including the Cooks River ride...
  4. scoobydid

Mtn bike pedals for a road bike ... stupid or not?

I use to commute on my road bike with CB Eggbeaters. I then changed to SPD-SLs but have since returned to CB Quattros. I have CB pedals on all of my other bikes (except the dirt jumper which has flats); let's me use any of my shoes on any of my bikes. If I was using the bike more for races...
  5. scoobydid

Low Rise Handlebar - standard clamp

Item: Low Rise Handlebar with 25.4 bar diameter Location: Sydney Price range/Willing to Pay: About $25 posted Extra Info: Prefer it to be in decent nick with no big scratches/marks and black in colour. Some sort of alloy; not some heavy steel thing. 1/2in to 1in rise preferred. 580mm to 660mm...
  6. scoobydid

Cheap Road Wheelset

If you haven't already bought yourself a set, have a look at Cell bikes. $69 for a pair at the moment; http://www.cellbikes.com.au/products/Todays-Special
  7. scoobydid

Cheapskate Tech Tips

I used an old bit of bar tape when I re-wrapped my road bikes handlebars. Looks good and does the job well. Just fixed it on with electrical tape at the ends after wrapping around the chainstay.
  8. scoobydid

Sold (Sort of) Free To Good Home!!

Mate, if you're still not able to offload them take them to your local doctors surgery, dentist etc. I took a stack of old cycling magazines I didn't want to throw either to my local doctor surgery. At least I know i can always read them again the next time I visit and also, I figured it'd be...
  9. scoobydid

Sydney Commute: Greenacre to City

Had a look at Bikely and found this route: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Bankstown-Condell-Park-to-Haymarket-City-Sydney. If you try this route you'll probably want to skip the first half of notes and start it at the Belfield/Strathfield section. From Roberts Rd you don't have too...
  10. scoobydid

Commuting on a Roadie w/out a Backpack

I've got one of the Topeak seatpost mounted racks and it's not a bad system. The Topeak bag I have (without the fold out pockets) holds about 7 litres of gear; enough to hold a rolled up shirt and trousers, underwear, keys, phone etc. I use a bottle mounted tool holder for tools, tubes etc...
  11. scoobydid

Looking for AMB article - DH bike roundup (2009) - Glory, Boot'R etc.

I might have a copy of it but I'm not at home at the moment. I'll have a look later tonight if you're still interested.
  12. scoobydid

Need Help with STP2 Parts

What parts do you already have on the bike? In particular, forks, cranks, how wide/narrow are your bars etc. Also, trail and downhill are two different disciplines. What are you more likely to be doing? Is an STP suitable for downhill? I don't know as I've never owned one.
  13. scoobydid

Rigids or Sus

Rigid forks: - No moving parts usually means less maintenance and less to go wrong. - More transfer of power from pedal to wheels; your pedal action doesn't get absorbed the way it does with suspension forks. - Usually equates to a lighter front end (but not always). - I assume some like...
  14. scoobydid

Good strong road rim

I've got a pair of CXP33s which I've used for commuting. They might be pretty plain and heavy-ish wheels but they've taken quite a pounding and I've only had to true them once in the last couple of years or so.
  15. scoobydid

Washing helmet straps /padding.

Ocassionally I remove the padding and place it in one of those washbags my wife uses for delicates. I then throw them in with the delicates on a short cycle in the washing machine. You can buy the bags from Woolworths where they keep the laundry stuff. With the straps, just use some soapy water...
  16. scoobydid

Botton bracker

As far as I know the designation UN26 denotes the model number. Look up the Shimano site; they might elaborate further. As you've already determined, the 113 is the spindle length and the 73 is the shell width (in this case, oversize ISO/British). 68 standard ISO/British. The important...
  17. scoobydid

Melbourne n Syndey bike Shops

Try here: http://www.bicycles.net.au/Bicycle-Shops.64.0.html?&cHash=b02048433e&tx_cmshop_pi1[no_caching]=0
  18. scoobydid

Mtb's and Babyseats

One thing to note with a trailer on dirt jump bikes; I've tried it with a P3 and found the shorter chainstay brings the trailers clamp closer to your heel to the point I make regular contact while pedalling. I'll try it on the other dirt jumper and see what happens but I don't have problems...
  19. scoobydid

Cheapish new or 2nd Hand?

RB Trading section, eBay, Trading Post, Cash Converters (do they still exist?), pawn shops usually have a bike or two sitting out the front of their stores, check the local papers for garage sales, deceased estate auctions etc.
  20. scoobydid

chain ring bolt help

As the previous poster said, there is a special chainring bolt tool. However, you might be able to use a wide/thick flat head screwdriver as a substitute. Hold it in place with one hand to stop the inner bolt from moving as you undo the outer bolt with the allen key. It's a bit tricky but I've...