Search results

1. karl_eller

Packless MTB

It's not quite packless, but I've swapped from a backpack to a waist bag for rides where I don't need the hydration pack, and I love it. Spare tube and pump are strapped to the bike, and the rest of my tools, snacks, etc, are in the bum bag. Even with a spare 600ml water bottle on the belt, I...
  2. karl_eller

What effect would going from 80mm to 100mm front travel have on a hardtail?

I'm not sure I can get much better than my current bike for <$300 :P
  3. karl_eller

What effect would going from 80mm to 100mm front travel have on a hardtail?

I haven't been mountain biking in the last probably 3 or 4 years, but I've really been wanting to start riding again. Unfortunately, the front forks on my bike (2008 Giant Yukon) are pretty much shot: Very stiff (adjustments do nothing), limited travel, don't respond well, etc. Probably...
  4. karl_eller

Advocacy Alert Glenrock Trail Alliance - Build Days and News

I really want to start riding in Glenrock again, especially to check out Shit Happens. It's a pity that my weekends are taken, which is the only time available with my regular riding partner :(
  5. karl_eller

Sports Drinks

I've know a number of people who swear by this. Hell of a lot cheaper than whatever-aid, and from all reports, it works just as well. Eller
  6. karl_eller

Cutting down handlebars

Haha I love it. The grips came off with a bit of work and a screwdriver lubed up with some soap, and a little pipe cutter made short work of the handlebars. Took about 25mm off each end, which doesn't look like a whole lot, but feels a lot better. Cheers for the help! Eller
  7. karl_eller

Cutting down handlebars

I'm wanting to cut down the handlebars on my Giant CRX4 flat-handled commuter, since they feel a little too wide and make it a little harder to get between cars and stuff. Firstly, from my understanding, the narrowest that handlebars should be is so that your hands are shoulder-width apart...
  8. karl_eller

The !2010! Thread

Mmm $1300 for a Seek 2 with Deore/SLX. That's one hell of a tasty bike. Stick 23mm or 28mm tires instead of the 32mm's, panniers and mudguards, and you have a great all-weather commuter. And the bottom-end Trance's and Anthems have dropped by about AU$400-500 too, which suits me quite nicely...
  9. karl_eller

The !2010! Thread

I'm really liking the look of the new Giant Seek's, they look like they'll be a pretty awesome little commuter. Any information on pricing, and if you can get them frame/forks only? I'm a little pissed about no Halos, though, and I'm not too sure where the new Filters fit in the pricing...
  10. karl_eller

That time of year... the snakes are out!!

Yeah, it's been warming up a fair bit lately. Seen a fair few magpies out and about too, so we'll get bike riders OTHER favourite hazard: Magpie divebombings! I can't wait! Eller
  11. karl_eller

Buying a roadie ($1200ish), shoes, pedals etc.

I can't give much advice on bikes (aside from the previous suggestions to look at the Giant Defy (drop) and CRX (flat-handled) range, as well as Cell), but for pedals, since you've already got MTB shoes, just buy some cheap SPD pedals. Something like Shimano M520 will set you back around the...
  12. karl_eller

Should I buy a roadie?

Definitely get a roady. I bought a $600 Giant CRX4 (Flat-handled roady) for commuting/fitness, and haven't regretted it. It is a lot faster and responsive on the road, you'll find yourself much more willing to put the Km's in, and you'll find your off-road riding improving a crap-load, too. Not...
  13. karl_eller

XC Stem Length and Bike Sizing

I've had similar problems (although for me it was neck/shoulder pain), and playing around stem length and rise helped a fair bit. If you're stretched out too much, a shorter and/or higher stem even just a small amount will most likely help a fair bit (for me, changing from a 100mm to 80mm made a...
  14. karl_eller

Little Things You Hate

I've always known it as "paper, scissors, rock", actually, and most of my friends call it that too. Maybe it's a kinda regional thing? Eller
  15. karl_eller

Little Things You Hate

I lol'd. And if rumours start floating around about you not being able to get it up, you'll know why :p Eller
  16. karl_eller

Advice on bike

You should be able to pick up a Giant CRX4 for about that money. It's a flat-handled roady, so it'll probably be a tad easier on your back than something with drops, and while the specs aren't amazing, they're pretty good value. I picked one up about 2-3 months back, and I love riding it. Eller
  17. karl_eller

Help with shock length

190-50 = 140mm (eye-to-eye minus stroke length = compressed length) 165-38 = 127mm Since you're saying the length of the compressed shock is ~145mm, I'd be willing to bet good money that it had a 190x50 on there. Eller
  18. karl_eller

Little Things You Hate

Unless you're running a high-powered quad with a fairly hefty overclock, you should be able to get away with running just a 4-pin aux power, you usually don't "need" an 8-pin. Eller
  19. karl_eller

Little Things You Hate

Here's an idea: Don't build tracks/jumps/whatever where you're not supposed to ;) And if you ARE allowed to build there, then there isn't a whole lot he can do about it. Eller
  20. karl_eller

Why are road riders so different?

Road rash + surgical tape + hairy legs = unbelievable levels of pain. That's the main reason for shaved legs. Plus hairy legs runs the risk of scabs becoming infected, and/or being a bitch when the scab starts to peel. MTB riding usually makes me fairly relaxed, while after a bad commute I feel...