Search results

1. Drew Peacock

SOLD - Husky 100 Entry for Sale

SOLD, SOLD, SOLD. Can't make the new date as I have a wedding on the day before that I am going to enjoy. Cost $135, happy to sell for $100 Call Paul on 0409-359961
  2. Drew Peacock

The Single Speed Thread

I'm riding 35/19, which is an easier gearing, so I may have some chance of riding the hills. Any idea how muddy the course is.
  3. Drew Peacock

The Single Speed Thread

SS Gearing for the Husky 100 Hi Guys, I'm doing the Husky in a few weeks on an SS 29'er and was wondering if anyone has ridden the course SS and has an opinion on a suitable gearing.
  4. Drew Peacock

The Single Speed Thread

My take on it As I see it, there are 2 Rules to consider. 1) If you blow up your legs pushing a hard gear, then your race is over (only rest will let your legs recover). Your lungs on the over hand recover quickly and let you carry on. So Rule 1 - Legs V's Lungs - if there is any doubt...
  5. Drew Peacock

The Single Speed Thread

An 8 speed chain in good nick shouldn't be a problem - ensure a straight chain line and all should be sweet
  6. Drew Peacock

Best online shop?

Ralphs = Fad I like many followed the fad (or was it cleverly targeted marketing) and used Ralph's and while they are a good tyre they are not great at anything especially rolling resistance. I ditched the Ralphs (although I still have a few in my garage for when I go retro), did my...
  7. Drew Peacock

Carry case for 29er

Weight limit The problem is the baggage weight limit (23kg on most). I had a hard shell (samsonite style) case on wheels, but it must of weighted 8kg so add the bike 11kg plus padding and you are nearly at the limit. Last time I flew I used a cardboard box from a bike shop - light, tough...
  8. Drew Peacock

Rotorua MTBing

Ditto above Redwoods or the Whaka ...... forest - prepare for the best trails you have ridden, smooth, bermed corners, dark forest and serenity. A Shuttle runs from the car park on weekends and is well worth it to do repeats of the top trails. Corners, Little Red Riding Hick, Billy T, are...
  9. Drew Peacock

Titanium 29er Hardtail

Another vote for Lynskey I have a Lynskey Pro29 (the one with the sexy curved top tube) built up as a single speed, it is the ducks nuts for ride quality, handling and comfort. It is my ride of choice in 24hr and 100k races and at under 10kg it is easy to man handle when needed.
  10. Drew Peacock

29er full suspension...... for a big bloke.........

Evolve I don't know what your budget is, but I have an Ellsworth Evolve (lovingly referred to as the Tractor) and it's a marvellous piece of Mountain Biking machinery, and it comes in an XL (which I think is 22 inches). It's looks belies its abilities and its rear suspension which is...
  11. Drew Peacock

The Single Speed Thread

I asked a bike shop many years ago about going 1/8 on my SS and they said stay with 3/32 - you can use easily available chainrings, sprockets and any 8 or 9 speed chain. They also said that even if I had the legs of Sean Kelly I would never break a 3/32 chain on an SS. I followed there advise...
  12. Drew Peacock

need to shed some weight on my Scandal SS

Hey chainsuksux, I have a Scandal SS with white Bros 29er Carbon bars and it comes in at around 10.4kg, but it is a commuter, running 38mm treaded tyres. The spec is nothing expensive or super light so it would be possible to lighten it up; Wheels - Mavic A317 rims on Deore hubs with slime...
  13. Drew Peacock

29er wheels

Disregard - brain fade happening
  14. Drew Peacock

Stan's Arch 29'er Front wheel

I'm in need of a new 29'er front wheel to go totally tubeless - what I want is Item: Stan's Arch 29'er Front wheel - rim colour = black, Hub = 9mm QR Location: Sydney - City or Northern Beaches Item Condition: True and no flat spots Extra Info: rim tape and tubeless value a bonus
  15. Drew Peacock

On-One Scandal 29er Pro XT

Very Good bike I have a Scandal which I run SS. I took it to Rotorua for the World SS Champs and still can't get the smile off my face. I retired my steel Karate Monkey because I found the ride of the Scandal less harsh than the KM and the Scandal was 10 times more flickable. It is a joy to...
  16. Drew Peacock

Stock Giant 29er wheels vs TWE 29er wheels

Bespoke beats mass produced anyday I've had a pair of TWE wheels on my race bike for 12 months now and they are still as true and straight as day one. Go and talk to Greg he knows his stuff and he will build the wheels to suit you and your riding style. I just got a full suspension 29'er...
  17. Drew Peacock

SS to 1x9 question

Mid - life crisis Kris I recently went through a similar mid-life crisis and begun wondering what it would be like to have suspension and more than one gear, so I purchased an Ellsworth Evolve and threw on some spare parts I had. My Hope rear hub was SS specific so the best I could go was...
  18. Drew Peacock

The 2010 Mont 24 Thread

What a great weekend I have been attending the Canberra based 24hr events since 2005 and this was the most enjoyable I can remember. As a 1hr plus a few minutes single speed rider I pass as many slow riders as faster riders pass me and I found the etiquette was superb and the camaraderie...
  19. Drew Peacock

Who's the gun 29er wheel builder in Sydney Hunter area??

So he's no web master - he's a wheel master I had a set of light weight 29er SS wheels built by Greg at TWE that I race with, and they are awesome and still as true as when I first picked them up - he just knows his stuff. The man is a wheel builder that's all he does and he's always...
  20. Drew Peacock

The Single Speed Thread

Manly Dam Ride It was good to join up with the SSSS guys and gal on Wednesday night for a social lap of the Dam and a post ride chin wag. :D Of the 9 SS's I think 8 were 29'ers - quite a telling stat. All the best for the championships on the weekend - I might make them next year.