Search results

1. M

BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

The Mazda 3 has rack mount attachment points under the plastic strip on the roof, so you can get bolt on roof bars rather than using clips. (I have had bad experiences with the clips coming off on other cars...) I got a Yakima rack, though not all the online sellers showed that option.
  2. M

Wheel Build Advice Thread

I am planning to build some wheels for son's enduro bike. DT Swiss rims & spokes, but undecided on hubs. Tempted by Shimano XT FH-M110 hubs. Microspline, quick engagement, easy service, less than half price of DT 350s. Has anyone used these or seen reviews? I have been very happy with my...
  3. M

Product Review Bikeyoke Revive 160mm dropper post

I got a 125mm Revive in June, and have been loving it. No play, no problems, never had to reset it. I bought a 160mm one for my son and also no problems. Reset it once. Other reviews say that if you transport the bike on it's side and with the dropper down then resets are common. I have...
  4. M

XX1 BB30 Q168 cranks 'non-boost' on a boost frame??

I have just upgraded to a boost frame, so can speak from experience. Non-boost crankset installed, no modification. I think the chain line is better, the chainring is now closer to the middle of the cassette. Back-pedalling in lowest gear now does not drop the chain down a gear. I have...
  5. M

Slipping seat post totally doing my head in!

Yep, off to the fuckwits... The split in the clamp has to align with the split in the frame. If it doesn't, then the clamp has to actually slip against the frame to tighten. This is why we can't spin the clamp around to keep the mud out of the threads. Ming
  6. M

Stans Crest MK3

The new Crests are wider than my 3 year old Arch's ! I could add 2 mm internal width, and drop 100g per wheel :) or go all the way to 26mm with the same weight. Decisions... Virtually the same ERD, so I could re-use the spokes. Is this a silly idea with 3 year / 5000km wheels ...
  7. M

Tubeless with Ardent Race - whats your experience?

I have had overnight sidewall leaks on new Ardent / Race / Ikons, all EXO. Giving the wheel it a good shake then lying it flat for half an hour on each side fixes the problem (put it on a bin or box so it sits flat).
  8. M

Creaking XO1 cassette - anyone else have this

It must be part of the hub. Pictures or make/model ?
  9. M

I did clean the cassette really well, and sprayed teflon lube into the tabs between the 42T and the rest; not much change. I will try pulling the cassette apart and see if I can clean all the parts really well. The threads all look and feel really good, no reason there for the locking...
  10. M

I have an XO1 cassette with 7000km on it, still running fine. However, it is starting to make really annoying creaking / squeaking sounds. The creaking goes away when I clean and lubricate the outside end of the locking cylinder, where the tabs hook on to the 10T part of the cassette. A few...
  11. M

Elixir 5 Brake Bleed

The most common cause of this is attaching the top syringe to the wrong lever, eg rear calliper and right (front) lever... If you push the syringe really hard, you can something to give and get the DOT fluid everywhere !
  12. M

Anyone broken an XX1, X01 cassette?

Without the lockring tabs, what stops the cassette just sliding off the hub?? Almost half of them are gone. I think there is now enough play that the steel cassette part can move enough to allow the pins to come out of the alu ring. What sort of life do most get from their cassette? I have...
  13. M

Dont park in bike lanes

Excellent work indeed. I especially like the way the Daily Mail can't spell 'Pedalling' in the link at the bottom...
  14. M

Overlapped spokes rubbing through?

I agree with Moorey on this one - I think the under/over of the crossover is wrong. The under/over would be fine for j-bend spokes on a normal hub flange, but this hub seems to have much bigger offsets for the spokes. In the photo, the inside spoke at the hub goes outside on the crossover...
  15. M

“Wanker” slash “Geez I’m Awesome” conundrum…

I always used to get a great sense of achievement overtaking roadies. Then I started a training plan, and realised that people don't always ride as fast as they can all the time!!
  16. M

Fined for wearing a camera on your helmet

Pinkbike update on helmet cameras In a statement received by us from the governing body, the UCI said: "After in-depth examination, the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) announced today that onboard cameras on helmets shall be mounted solely on detachable visors/peaks that have been...
  17. M

loose chain only on granny gear?

Maybe it is a Specialized thing. I had a Stumpjumper with 3x9, and could not get a chain length which was safe in big-big and also had tension in small-small. Lots of problems dropping chain in small gears, due to the low tension. Finally worked out that it came standard with a medium cage...
  18. M

Sag settings for different trails... Do you adjust??

I found this article recently. Lots of useful advice on all the common settings on forks and shocks, and also when to use the locked/pedal/open settings (or is that climb/trail/descend...). I now spend most of the time with the shock Open and fork in platform/trail, even in XC races...
  19. M

ACT Giant STP - SOLD

Sold Item: Giant STP Location: Canberra Item Condition: Good Reason for selling: Too many bikes - just being used as a school commuter Price and price conditions: $450 Extra Info: Forks: Pike U-turn 140mm, 20mm axle. Brakes: Avid Elixir Wheels: Rhyno Lite rims, Shimano hubs...
  20. M

Cyclist sued for damages by another cyclist

Today's Canberra Times makes it clearer: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/comment/ct-editorial/cyclists-need-insurance-too-20141102-11fqk5.html In Friday's case, it appears that the defendant cyclist was insured as a result of his membership of Pedal Power, a cycling pressure group. Moreover...