Search results

1. slippy

Little Things You Hate

(Warning: roadie content, avert your eyes if you can't hack it) The fact that SBS has been broadcasting the Giro D'Italia since cavemen invented spokes and the year that the media overlords decide to yank it out from them and force Australian consumers to seek some sort of pay TV / VPN work...
  2. slippy

Trump..... (The Sophistry Thread)

The fact that there is any debate/argument/views on the matter would suggest it's not clear cut. I just can't see the point in getting riled up about someone else's take on something that happened 75 years ago and has sweet FA influence on what happens today and has almost no relevance to the...
  3. slippy

I'm genuinely surprised by the strength and defensiveness of the reactions here. But as I said, off topic. You say tomato, I heard potato. Back to Trump yet?
  4. slippy

Well you've already dismissed this as bollocks so I presumed you knew what I was referring to. We're getting off topic, back to our billionaire overlord?
  5. slippy

Gravel grinder / tyres rim width.

No problemo.
  6. slippy

Torque wrenches/ warranty issue?

Sure, but is it reasonable to expect it to go out of calibration by a huge amount under normal conditions? A few percent perhaps but not as much as the OP describes.
  7. slippy

Wow, so all those bullet holes in buildings, partly exploded buildings, bomb shelters, trenches etc etc were all part of the propaganda. And the Army guys I know have all been told lies by their superiors. My mistake, carry on.
  8. slippy

Japan at the end of WW2. The scale of the invasion has always been played down but the evidence is all through Darwin to this day.
  9. slippy

I'm curious what the hand-holding idealists would do if another country invaded theirs.
  10. slippy

This is all well and good until an aggressive nation that doesn't share your utopian dream decides to get all expansivist. Then your daisy chain wilts in their nuclear sunshine. There's an unfortunate thing called reality that will always thwart your plan for a planetary group hug. Breaking eggs...
  11. slippy

Lame claims to fame and shame.

Not good enough.
  12. slippy

Little Things You Love

I note the positive slant on your choice for the lefts and your negative slant on your choice for the rights. How about modern vs traditional. Reckless vs staid. Populist vs populist. Corrupt vs corrupt. Inclusive vs protective. Self serving vs self serving. Cat vs dog. Weird vs boring. Mum...
  13. slippy

Ardent and Ardent race.

2.4 ardent?
  14. slippy

Ardent and Ardent race.

That's the whole dilemma isn't it? Volume vs more aggressive tread pattern. OP has the precisely wrong combo of larger volume tyre having less grip. Screwed in both directions. Still reckon a 2.25 ardent will grip better than 2.35 ardent race. You know what, chuck the frickin race and buy a...
  15. slippy

Ardent and Ardent race.

Ardent on the front. So you actually have some grip and don't end up on your face. Ardent race on the rear where the trade-off of lowered rolling resistance at the expense of grip won't matter so much. (Better to slide your back wheel before the front). Admittedly the widths are not ideal. If...
  16. slippy

Who uses rigid forks and what type

Got an On-One on my ti 29er. Seems plenty stiff enough and still comfortable. Supposedly puts in a stellar performance in testing to failure machines which adds confidence. Similar price to the pro/white bros/exotic/generic options.
  17. slippy

HR getting high / Heart stress test

I perform about 30 stress echoes per week in my job. The vast majority of these tests are performed to differentiate patients with significant coronary artery disease from those that don't (saving them an angiogram). They are usually reserved for patients with suspicious symptoms (crushing...
  18. slippy

Chain Length.

If your chainring is two teeth smaller and your biggest rear cog is four teeth bigger you have a net gain of two teeth. Given the chain only engages half of the teeth at a time you will need a chain one link longer. As you can't add one link (only multiples of two) you will either need to add...
  19. slippy

Ad campagains you wish existed and general bike snobbery

MIPS, 5 cents worth of plastic for an extra $50* *may not provide any actual safety benefits, we never claimed it did.
  20. slippy

Lame claims to fame and shame.

I was the first to spew on Mimi McPherson's boat. I told her she owes me lunch, she still hasn't delivered. Nick Cave sat next to me at a café and perved on my girlfriend. Trevor Chapell told me to "piss off". Made eye contact with David Bowie (couldn't tell you if it was his good eye...