Search results

1. B

Play 29er hardtail??

Yes dusty_nz, it is heavy at about 12.5kg (3kg heavier than my 26" dually marathon racer) but they sell it as a trail hardtail which is why I could smash it over the loose techy stuff as the wheels are heavy and strong. I don't know the frame weight but I was thinking it would make a great...
  2. B

Play 29er hardtail??

Whyte 829 Dusty_NZ - just saw this thread and I'm 2 rides into my new Whyte 829. I'm not qualified to tell you how it compares to others on the market as it's the only 29" hardtail I've ridden. My other stead is a 26" dually. My first 2 rides were deliberately on tracks where I assumed it...
  3. B

Craig Gordon involved in hit run.

Update Gordo's leaving hospital today. He can walk but is quite ill still. He broke T7 in his back, C7 in his neck and broke his shoulder. He's quite dizzy and will most likely require an operation. He's a tough nut so hopefully we seem him on the trails again.
  4. B

Craig Gordon involved in hit run.

The Gordo we're talking about is Craig Scott Gordon.
  5. B

Sealant leaking at base of valve stem

Tightening etc will help but then you're in all sorts of trouble if you have a flat on trail and need to remove the valve to get a tube in. Cut a piece of tube say 2cm x 1cm then cut a very small hole in the middle then push your valve through it before you push it through the rim. This will...
  6. B

Cape Epic Roll Call - who's going?

Cape Epic Roll Call A quick look at the Cape Epic website start list page shows 10 Aussie teams.
  7. B

The James Williamson Enduro Challenge 2011

My Polar recorded 415m climbing per lap. Great day out. Great tribute to Willo.
  8. B

National Champs XC Happy Snaps

Awesome pics thanks.
  9. B

2011 an Otway Odyssey

The suspense! Like you I think J-Blood is a certainty. Then Hatton & Red Racer. My heart is with Gordo. His dominance has been shattered over the past year or two, mainly as he's had some injuries. Just hoping he gets back to his best.
  10. B

Rocky Trail MTB Grand Prix Series 2010

Fun Spectators We were laughing about those guys over lunch on Sunday. For the first 2 hours of the race on Saturday they were playing cricket, drinking beer and ignoring us riders as we pedaled past. During the 3rd hour they started paying attention to us and cheering loudly. As we entered...
  11. B

where to buy energy gels etc. online

I've been buying Torq bars online through FTPTraining.com which is site of The Fenz. They are well priced and I find them good for enduros as they are like eating a slice of fruit cake and are nice & moist so easy to digest after a few hours in the saddle when it gets hard to digest solids. I...
  12. B

How much weight will this save.

Yep I was referring to Ti bolts outside the drivetrain such as stem, seat post etc. I think my FRM rotors are around 80g (160mm) and so far I've been happy with stopping power and pad wear having done the wet Capital Punishment with them. I did notice their race wheels when I bought my cranks &...
  13. B

I was "stunningly optimistic" saying you'd save nearly 1kg. Add to your 790g some lightweight rotors as mentioned above (I recall mine were 54g lighter than my XTR's) and some titanium bolts and there's your kilo! Mind you I don't know why I'm spending big bucks saving grams when I could eat...
  14. B

Have just done similar except I changed from XTR. At a guess you will save close to 1kg. The cranks alone must save more than 400g. I went XX drivetrain except for cranks as I noticed these FRM's on Nino Shurter's bike at Stromlo and found they are lighter than XX and the rings are much...
  15. B

Capital Punishment is GO

I seem to have found the ultimate wet weather brakes having now done Del Rio in Feb then this event with levers as solid at the end as they were at the start of the race and pads with enough meat left to stay in the bike for a while. I'm using XTR calipers with FRM rotors and FRM metal pads...
  16. B

Capital Punishment is GO

Adventure Plus What an adventure that was! It took more than just fitness to complete that course. I'm sure there weren't too many riders who didn't have to dig deep and deal with some demons. Would love red racer to tell his story as I'm sure those at the pointy end also had their fair...
  17. B

Aluminium Hardtail

Frm I ride an FRM hardtail made from Easton Aluminium weighing in at 1.25kg. My total bike weighs in at just over 8.5kg comprising Oval, XTR & FRM components and Stans Olympic ZTR wheels.
  18. B

Damaged frames.

BMC FS01 scandium frame with impact damage on top tube & down tube. Rear carbon triangle & Fox RP23 shock both in great condition though.
  19. B

Numb Hands

Another numbness cured! I solved my numbness problem by accident. I changed from skinny to fatter grips hoping the problem would disappear which it did but not because of the actual grip. I have always been a 2 finger braker. I have tried 1 finger but don't feel I have sufficient power. When I...
  20. B

Wingello 5 hour

+1 to the thumbs up Thanks for a well run, laid back event. great weather and track also. I didn't notice any gel wrappers so there couldn't have been too many. Small gripe - to the leader who muscled me out of the way to get past on a narrow part of the track, waiting a few seconds...