Search results

1. P

2017 Giant Trance

I bought a 2017 Spark 930 after a 2 hour ride at a demo day in Kalamunda - mate has a 2014 920 so ridden them before. Owned Anthems/XTC/Epics/Superflys in the past. Very capable climber and good descender (what there is in Perth) - definately XC that is Trail capable (and bloody quick).
  2. P

Rockshox via German online stores

Got a pair of Magura MT8s and Storm SL Rotors for the Scott Spark for $330 about ten weeks ago. Took three weeks to arrive - at that price I would have been happy if it took three months. Product Range, Delivery Speed, Price - pick any two...
  3. P

Converting 650 + to 29

On my third set of Nexties, all of them have been reliable. I have also had a set of ENVE's - also reliable, but three times the price. I am a 100kg and about as subtle as a Mack truck so tend to punish gear. Premium MTB (Nextie distributor) will make a Nextie wheelset with DT Swiss 350...
  4. P

11 speed budget buildup advice

Also running the 1150 steel pinned cassette with XTR Shifters/XT RD. Good feel, super relaible - way cheaper than SRAM RD/Shifters. been on for 1800 kms, cassette has no appreciable wear - unlike the 1195 cassette on my other bike with half the kms and a semi chewed 42T (One-Up make a...
  5. P

27.5 + aftermarket wheels

Have a squiz on the Plus Bikes Downunder Facebook group. Alot of people there running Nextie Carbon Rims with very good results, I have two sets of wheels, 26" x 65mm and 27.5" x 40mm. These guys are the Aussie dealers, and usually cheaper than buying out of China with freight...
  6. P

Feedback on Derby 40mm 27.5 rims

Running the Nextie 40mm(33.6mmID) rims. Using with 2.8" HR2+ and and Rekon+, ride yesterday had lots of loose gravel uphills, I could actually get up them, and fitter guys I was with on 29ers with 2.35s were sliding and then walking. Run them with 2.4"s Ardents and still nice, just not...
  7. P

White industries cld hubs?

Running one on the back of my Crackenfail Trigger 29er, 2 years with no issues. A good wheel builder recommended them, Ti free hub body available and definitely worthwhile, as it still looks new when I strip the cassette for cleaning.
  8. P

Post your Roadie

New Roadie, jagged at the right price as was a demo bike. Light Bicycle 45/55 Clinchers. Powertap P1s.
  9. P

Road bike body position

Started on the roadbike for the last few weeks. Even did a couple of group rides before work. Jagged a 2016 Trek Madone which was a demo bike. Pretty much brand new, but $4K not $7K. Biggest issue is the amount of Hamstring/Glutes use compared with MTB where I seem to be mostly Quad...
  10. P

Anyone purchased from revolutionresearch?

Bought a pair for a new build, wanted to like them, but they felt pretty small in my mitts (i run to XL/XXL on gloves). So after three rides I went back to my old faves - ODI Rogues.
  11. P

Bargain buys thread

Saint Brakes https://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/SHBDDNN82/title/shimano-saint-br-m820-b-disc-brake $179.99 an end. Not much more than Zees. Merlin are $308 a pair but never have any in stock.
  12. P

Riding on Warfarin

Yes, I have a pair (Sigvaris though) , its was more like $100 for a pair from the Haematolgy Clinic, as the Haematologist was pretty keen on getting my calf down. Venosan - eh? Worth the extra $s? or same-same? Best thing I have bought was one of the Zero Gravity chairs (from Backcare on...
  13. P

Riding on Warfarin

Glad I found this thread. Had five DVTs hit me last May, Left Knee, Groin and 3 x abdomen. A bit of medical incompetence later and I am still around, back riding last October. Just ordered a Medic Alert bracelet after reading this. On 12mg of Warfarin to target INR 2-3 (pretty steady...
  14. P

MIPS helmets that have AS standards??

Bought the Scott MIPS helmets from my LBS for just under $150. Comfy. Fairly light.
  15. P

The Self Sufficient Bike Camping Thread.

With the camping/sleeping gear, you might want to check out tarps rather than tents. The Ultralight backpackers have been tweaking gear for decades, so worth having a look at what they do. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/index.html, Lighter, more compact gear = less...
  16. P

Fat Bikes

The key is the framebag and the Handlebar roll - both of which are custom made in Australia by a very accomodating and competant husband and wife team. (http://www.bikebagdude.com/). No Connection, just happy to recommend based upon their product, attitude and general niceness. BBD...
  17. P

Fat Bikes

Fat bike works a treat with Suspension fork and 3.8" Knards on Marge Lites. 28T chainring and 10-42 X01 gives me plenty of gears for hills even when carrying 15kg of bikepacking gear/food/water.
  18. P

Power meter on MTB?

Have just gotten one on the roadie, I would not have bothered except I have the data from my Tacx Bushido indoor trainer for the last year, and I find it pretty useful. Mainly doing intervals I know how much I can sustain for 1 Min, 3 mins, 8 mins, which I am thinking I can use on the roadie to...
  19. P

Fat Bikes

Yeah I use a BBD frame bag on longer trips. when I do , I keep my alcohol (for fuel) in the bottom holder. Fork is pretty damn good, soaks up the hits, fairly stiff, but damn heavy - did not weigh it, but it had some heft to it though so you do notice the weight.
  20. P

Fat Bikes

My new beastie.