Search results

1. S

What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

I contaminated the resin pads on the XT brakes so replaced them with metal pads. I learnt the hard way that do not clean these brakes with anything except water. The guy at the shop said it will take a while to run in but being in hilly Helensburgh and being the fat bastard that I am it only...
  2. S

Wheel Builder in Sydney

I had MTB Wanabe (Mick) build me some new wheels a while back - did a great job. Just PM him and he'll look after you.
  3. S

BB link for 2008 Teocali

Thanks for your suggestions guys. Good call sedifus about bolt places too! Cheers
  4. S

BB link for 2008 Teocali

Hi all. I have bent one of the link bolts on the bottom bracket on the bike and want to obtain replacements and while I'm at it I want to rebuild the while assembly with new bushes and bearings as well. Does any one know where I can get these locally? I can source from overseas if I have to...
  5. S

Hello! Welcome! Who are you?

How old are you? 42 What state do you live? NSW now but born/raised and worked in NZ How long have you been riding? On and off all my life. Used to do around 120km per week when I was 12 going to school and the paper round on a 3 speed Raleigh 20. Whats styles of riding do you do? Mountain...
  6. S

Solar Panels, what's the scoop?

We had a 3kw system installed in Feb this year and yes it wasnt the cheapest by far from the few quotes we got but they used aluminium/stainless steel mounting hardware for the panels, did excellent work on cable management around the panels/inverter and supplied an Xantrex inverter mounted in...
  7. S

Pinch flats vs. fiddly tubeless - isn't there a better way?

I did my first ever tubeless install over the weekend with Arch rims and Continental Race King UST tyres and apart from the mounding knobs on the bends on the tyres preventing a seal I had no issues. The back I had to do twice because of that but once I removed the knobs from the front before...
  8. S

Fulcrum Red Metal 5 for $189 on website

Hi all. In the end I had some made up very kindly by MTB wanabe which consists of Arch rims and Novatec hubs with Conti Race King tubeless tyres. Not much weight difference between those and the old rims as these are more heavy duty but with lighter/less resistance tyres the bike feels so much...
  9. S

You laugh you lose

I agree! I also lost it on Richo's post, I had to stop reading it just to recover!
  10. S

BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

That's about right as I got one a few years back for the car. Worth the cost.
  11. S

What was your first mountain bike

My first was a Avanti Montari that I brought secondhand. I think it was around early 90's when I got it but unsure of it's age. Black large frame with blue/green specks in paint. 18 speed I think. Sold that for my first front suspension which was simply called a YAK, 21 speed and was...
  12. S

Hi All. Thanks for the pictures and comments! I have just a small update on what I have been deciding. I've decided to go full tubeless. A fellow poster here has offered to build me some wheels but I'm still deciding on spec's and price before going ahead. As I'm no lightweight (95kg +...
  13. S

I tried the link and it said no stock. Only wheelsets I can find elsewhere are singlespeed. After a bit more research I'm looking at this too, no more tubes!. Changes the choice of tyre as well.
  14. S

Hi again all. I got approval to purchase the rims but after seeing more posts tonight I'm now undecided.. Thanks though Workmx for your work you put in regarding building my own and Jetblack Rims and if Jetblack werent out of stock everywhere then I would consider these as well!. I dont...
  15. S

Thanks Bpow for your suggestions and recommending some tyres :fat: Yup website is Cellbikes. I called their online number and it took me to message bank but they havent returned my call as of yet. I rang the retail and the guy was much more helpful there (came with skewers and isnt UST...
  16. S

Hi. I came across some 26" Fulcrum Red Metal 5 wheelsets for $189 new. The website clams they retail for $450. Website is local as well. Are these any good as they appear to be to good to be true price wise? Google reviews say good things but I would prefer local experience Currently I...
  17. S

Purchasing a second hand MTB

I paid $630 for a Mongoose 08 Teocali Comp off eBay and took the chance that it wasn't stolen and was in good condition. The guy I brought it off said he brought it from the Bike Hub in Brookvale (still had the Bike Hub sticker on it as well) second hand for around $1200 a few years ago and...
  18. S

Brokers Nose, Wollongong

As I'm in Helensburgh I got a leaflet in the mail a few weeks back about motor riders as well using tracks. I read it and it said nothing about MTBers. Theres plenty of motors here and I've met a few on the firetrails as well. They bother me in the sense that I'm worried I'll meet them on a...
  19. S

Home theatre solutions? your thoughts wanted.

I also use Audioengine speakers for the family room/dinning/kitchen TV but only have the 2's although they are impressive for their size. In this room there is simply a Windows 7 Media PC and feeds into an 4 year old 40" LCD @ 720p with the Audioengines doing the sound. Computer has a remote...
  20. S

New Bike

If youre up for it and depending on how much work you want to do to them as well as their are some cheaper bikes out there but some needing work to bring them up to scratch. I wanted a new bike but the missus shot that down as I wanted to spend around $2K I brought a 08 Teocali off Ebay in...