Search results

1. M

Road Tubeless worth it?

Had a search and thought I'd do a thread dig rather than create a new one. I've got about 2000km on my Schwalbe One on Stans Alpha 400s set up tubeless, and I'm wondering if anyone does any regular maintenance on their tubeless setups, in particular road, but also mountain/cx in terms of...
  2. M

First aid (a BS free thread for everything first aid)

Re: leaving venom etc for identification. My understanding is that "many" snake bite victims don't usually require/receive anti-venom unless they sit in the high risk categories (very young/old, multiple bites, delayed first aid/immobilization). The lymphatic system does a great job of...
  3. M

Cheapest way to track distance / time / heart-rate?

Agree with Markee - check out some of the facebook roadie groups, Edge 500s come up quite regularly. They're compatible with 3 speed/cadence sensors if you find yourself interested enough to go down that route. I find using above is good on a MTB as often with tight tracks in iffy reception...
  4. M

Helmet storage rack ?!

depending on how much space/wall you have, these are what I got a couple of years ago. Hanging helmets isn't exactly a taxing job so they don't have to be fancy (I don't have kids) http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/bicycle-bike-helmet-display-stand-rack-wall-hanger/CSA-1206
  5. M

Chains ain't chains

another +1 for KMC X chains in 10 speed. Seem to run well one road, mtb and cx.
  6. M

The dedicated WOODEND Thread

Agreed - sensational today. so much work has been done over winter for such a great result - many thanks to all involved!
  7. M

Road pedals for a MTBer

For mine, I got used to riding clips on MTB SPD, so when I got around to road biking, I couldn't see the point in a single sided system - forked out the premium for speedplay. Pros Double sided Float, if you have dodgy knees, they're probably going to be your friend. Adjustability in...
  8. M

Am I in over my head?

Chamois Cream Eat, eat, eat. Hydrate. Also, make sure you have your position on the bike sorted, there is nothing like 7-10 hours on the bike to show up small niggles, especially your cleat position and how that effects your knees. If you're someone who finds massage useful, do it the...
  9. M

Front Chainring / Rear Cassette ratios…

Could not agree more with the above. I run 2x10 (52/36) on the roadie, 1x10 (38) on the CX, when i bought a new 2x10 mtb (38/26) this year, I went from a triple where I sat in the middle ring for 98% of my rides, to having to front shift frequently on my regular trails. As good as XT front...
  10. M

Speedplay Frogs

Speedplay have recently announced the new Szyr pedals to replace the Frogs. Meant to be a significant upgrade. http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.syzr
  11. M

If you come across an Injured Rider...

The Blackberry messenger app has a thing called Glimpse that you can send to a contact that allows them to track your position for a period of time that you select. Probably not hugely ideal for MTB due to the requirement for cell reception, but certainly on the roadie it's great for wifey to...
  12. M

SRAM x9 rear derailleur, type 2.1 (10 speed)

in terms of stiffness, in my experience.... X9 Ty2.1 > X9 Ty2 > XT Shadow+ clutch on > XT Shadow+ clutch off Two years of running X9s on the cx bike, i can't say I've snapped any cables, but tend to replace them fairly often anyway. I definitely understand Poodle's concern when first...
  13. M

CX Nats - Melbourne August 8th and 9th

Hi all, Just in case anyone is semi interested in the whole CX thing, if you're in Melbourne come and check out the action this weekend. Elite women and men will go around fast on Sunday afternoon. Plenty of elite MTB folk will be at the pointy end demonstrating a subtly different skill...
  14. M

Tektro Auriga brakes

Hakka - these use the same pads as the Hy-Rd do, the stock pads are pretty ordinary. Sounds like a trip back to the lbs is in order from the issue you're having, but down the track i'd seriously consider a pad upgrade. I've gone to SwissStop on my cx, but they are pretty pricey for a...
  15. M

Workstands - What's out there?

I like my Feedback Sports Sprint - unsure if I'd get a front fork mounted on again...
  16. M

WTF have I done? A First Race Journey

Hey Minlak - been looking at and thinking about your training plan for a couple of days now. My biggest concern would be the lack of recovery days in your schedule and also you haven't talked about recovery weeks. Most (not all) theories on physical and neuro-physical adaptation talk about...
  17. M

VIC Dirty Gran Fondo - 17th May 2015 - Wandong - MTB / CX / MONGREL

+1 On the CX the thing I underestimated the most was how beaten up I felt at the end of the ride, and that was before my front wheel ejected itself from the bike and I went OTB. Not sure if I'd do it again on the CX or take the MTB out next year, but the 11-28 cassette was not the right...
  18. M

VIC Golden Triangle Epic 2015

Agreed - the amount of singletrack was awesome, but I got too close to bonking for comfort about the 25km mark. And the difficulties passing early when everyone was trying to sort themselves out at the start. Great event, loved the feeling and people just seemed to have a great attitude -...
  19. M

Focus Mares AX 1.0 or AX 2.0

This is a big bonus if you're planning on taking this bike off road, or racing cross. Have not ridden either, the S700 levers are closer to Force or Rival in quality so the Apex involved is I presume just the derailleurs (having not checked the spec) which is easy fixed with an X9 type 2...
  20. M

VIC Golden Triangle Epic 2015

yup - in for the 50km as well. Also driving up on Sunday - keen to try some new trails