Search results

1. Big AC

New geometry and consequences for bike fit

I think that you'll be much happier on that. A 515mm reach and 678mm ETT at a 656mm stack height sounds much better. I hope that Summit gave you a sneak peak at the colours. It should drop real soon.
  2. Big AC

The benefit of the extra stack height is that you don't have to run as many spacers, this mean less lost reach and ETT. The 30mm of stack height is proably worth 40mm of spacers which probably equals another 15mm of ETT. The XXL HT is materially bigger in real life than the XL ripley. By the...
  3. Big AC

Solid guess, it was the runner up. I wanted a little more CS length and room for bigger rubber. A few thoughts on modern geo. Stack height is very important, especially if you are tall. Reach, ETT, and ESTA are all measured at stack height. A bike with the same measurements at a higher stack...
  4. Big AC

First new bike or major upgrade in nearly 7 years so it’s a custom build. I did a lot of spreadsheet work before pulling the trigger, I wanted something with a big reach but had a decently high stack height, there’s not a lot out there. I wasn’t too worried about the travel number so long as it...
  5. Big AC

Nice new rig mate. In September we can compare new toys.........
  6. Big AC

Yarra Trails regulars

I’m guessing that it happened on either the cliff part which used to have the rock in it or the next section just downstream of this, i.e. the part where the side of the trail is eroded down the edge of the embankment and there is a tree coming out of the upper embankment to make things a bit...
  7. Big AC

Yarra Trails regulars

We must have almost crossed paths, I saw that guy sitting at the top of the bike path re-join as I was heading home. I was on the bike path as I was running late after chatting with JD in the same area about 2 hours prior. The YTs are always good for the odd ‘interesting’ encounter. Does anyone...
  8. Big AC

Another which 29" frame / bike.

The HT and HTLT both have slack ASTAs, The HTLT also has a slack ESTA. Combined with the short CS their climbing will be compromised (there are quite a few comments about this from tall people on MTBR). The HTLT is highly likely to be replaced this year, without doubt it will steepen the ETSA...
  9. Big AC

Yarra Trails regulars

Heads up, there is a sharp end of a star picked sticking 20mm out of the ST behind Bonds Rd. If you are heading downstream it's just after the trail splits to go behind Bond Rd (when you take the left fork in the trail as the right leads to Bonds Rd). I put some sticks around it to hopefully...
  10. Big AC

Plenty Gorge and Parks Vic

Just a heads up, the bridge across the river at the bottom of The Long and Winding Trail has been destroyed. You can still cross the river, half the bridge is there but you have to walk along the branches of a fallen tree to get to the other bank, and then scramble up it.
  11. Big AC

Yarra Trails regulars

The berms have been there for a few months, not sure if they have been sanctioned or not. Rode up to the Studley Park PT for the first time in a while, wow the kiddies have been busy. There is some additional water erosion on the ST between pipe bridge and bell bird. The corner just before the...
  12. Big AC

Yarra Trails regulars

Rode Odyssey to Hans yesterday and it’s all fine, a couple of puddles in the usual areas which will dry fast. The ST is packed down but not sloppy.
  13. Big AC

Plenty Gorge and Parks Vic

Page 13 of the master plan has one of the best MTB trail maps I’ve seen of the PG area. Based on the proposed trail map on page 47 of the master plan it looks like all of the south side is out, as is the far North West, i.e. all of the best bits. To someone in the know: is this the proposal...
  14. Big AC

Handlebar Height/ rise questions

An additional 10mm of handlebar height will take weight off the front wheel whilst climbing / on the flat; however, it won’t be a huge difference. A 10mm move forward in seat position will make a much bigger difference when climbing. Seat position in relation to your rear hub (both how far...
  15. Big AC

Yarra Trails regulars

The issue with a code of conduct is that it is totally voluntary. The YTs are a bit like this place, there are no real world consequences for being a bit of a fuckwit. A good way to get people on side is to show them what they are working for. Small posters or notes telling people that a...
  16. Big AC

Formula One world championship

The FIA is looking into the issue and whether the 10 second penalty was enough. Noting the general outcry that the penalty was piss weak I would expect a grid penalty in Austria. Seb has brain failures when the pressure is on and things aren’t going according to plan. It’s frightening to...
  17. Big AC

Yarra Trails regulars

Only once, and it was many years ago. I was heading up star-pickets when stopped by a PV representative and told that the trails were not for MTBs. We had a “discussion” about the trails which ended when another group of MTBers can down the trail behind him (the timing was beautiful). In...
  18. Big AC

eBikes - what's the current perspective

I went, and I rode for ~90 mins (Comm games, Aneurysm, Middle, Redgum, and Hug for those who know Lysty). Thoughts: On fire roads and flowing trails which allowed you to keep momentum up it worked ok. Anything where some pedalling finesse was required, it was poor. Descending, it was heavy...
  19. Big AC

Old and angry: what pisses you off? The rants of ANGRY old men and women!

Corey Bernardi got banned from the AM thread; he is now hanging out in the Post Your Ride thread trolling anyone with a Lefty.
  20. Big AC

All Mountain Tyres

If the idea of a smaller tyre than the HD is not appealing, then forget any maxxis in 2.3 (JD is on a 29er for those reading along). That only really leaves the 2.4 DHR2WT, 2.5 Shorty WT, and 2.5 DHF from Maxxis. The 2.4 DHR2WT and 2.5 Shorty WT are designed to work with a 35mm internal width...