Search results

1. J

Schwalbe super gravity

I’m looking to get a new Rock Razor to run on the rear. Always liked the tyre and it’s great for everything except for the really muddy or loose. I’m leaning towards getting the softer addix compound given how well it’s held together on the Magic Mary I have on the front. Problem is that only...
  2. J

Fox Proframe

Had my eye on a Fox Proframe helmet for a while and now they’re reduced I’m going to pull the pin. Tried to buy one locally a little while back but I’m right between sizes and nowhere had a medium. Large felt a little on the big side. Not sure if it comes fitted with thick or thin pads as...
  3. J

Kids trailers

Looking for some thoughts and advice around kids trailer/seats for bikes Wanting to get out and about on the commuter (26" hardtail) at weekends with the 6 month old and mrs. At this stage I think he's too young to go in one of the seats on the back so I'm looking into a trailer. Does anyone...
  4. J

Fork oil in rebound adjuster

I serviced my pike a few weeks back and I seem to be getting a fair bit of oil leaking out into the rebound adjuster. Took the adjuster dial off and removed the lower leg nut. The crush washer could probably do with replacing if I can get my hands on one and there was a little bit of oil there...
  5. J

Shimano Chainline

I've just installed a shimano M9000 1x crankset onto my frame (no chain as yet) along with a hope chain device. I've found that even with all of the supplied spacers onto the ISCG tabs, the chainring is still sitting towards the outside of the chain device and will probably rub when I install...
  6. J

Tyres for wide rims

Apologies if this has been covered before, did try and search but didn't find anything specific. I've got some Hope 35W wheels and looking into the best tyres to fit to wide rims (not plus size). My first thought was the new Maxxis WT minions, but they're not cheap and I'm wondering whether...
  7. J

Crank options

Currently trying to decide which crankset to buy for my new build Preference is for a 34t ring and 170mm (running 175mm on the other bike and get a good few rock strikes) Top two options I've seen so far are: Race Face Aeffect. Looks like they've just rebadged the old 24mm turbines...
  8. J

Rockshox bonus bits

Received a new set of forks this week and in the Rockshox box was the usual spare seals, tokens, star nut etc. But there was also a couple of other bits that surprised me: Some stealth black extra decals. Pretty cool, might be tempted to do the switch! And also a zip tie.... Are...
  9. J

Fork travel options

I'm about to push the button on a set of fox 36's to replace the pikes I have on my Tracer. The Pikes have been great but have been on a couple of bikes now and cosmetically don't look great (ps how soft is RS paint compared to fox!?). I've got all the usual travel options available so of...
  10. J

Wrong Pike Oil

So I've just come to service my Pikes and realised the oil I've been using (and came with my forks) is 15wt rather than the 0w30. Funny thing is a guy I ride with was just saying the other day how much better my forks felt than his. Is this likely to cause me any issues in the short term...
  11. J

Is my chain worn?

Was giving my drivetrain a bit of a tweak yesterday and generally got everything running nice and smoothly again, but I did notice something when shifting into the top cog (40t). When the chain enters the cog from the upper pulley it sits slightly out of the teeth for the first 90 degrees or...
  12. J

Rockshox Recon Oil

I'm about to do a seal/oil change on a coil Recon for which is either a 2011 or 2012. The bike it's on is just used as a commuter/spare for mates so I'm obviously looking to keep the costs down. Looking at the oil volume chart it looks like I need 133ml of 5wt for the damper upper leg. Then...
  13. J

Rear wheel flex

So this all started a few days ago while cleaning the bike and noticing a couple of scratches on the inside of the seat stays near the tyres. My first thought was that they were due to tyre rub. Looking more closely they seem to be slightly higher than the tyre itself so I reckon it's crap...
  14. J

Hope brake installation

I picked up a set of Hope E4 brakes to replace some XT's that seemed to be needing a lot of bleeding (guessing a worn seal somewhere). Trying to install them and I just can't get either the front or rear to line up correctly without rubbing. I've tried both my usual method of loosening the...
  15. J

Am I missing something....

Or is this ridiculously cheap? With the 12% platinum discount comes to $83. Didn't want any more shimano brakes but this is tempting. http://www.wiggle.com.au/shimano-saint-i-spec-b-disc-brake-with-post-mount-caliper/
  16. J

New Pike - strange behaviour

Anyone experienced anything like this before? Recently got a new Pike dual position and have been trying to get it set up correctly over the last few rides with not a lot of success. Put this down to coming from an evolution damper on the last fork so having a lot more options to adjust but...
  17. J

M9001 Cassette

I ordered a Shimano M9000 cassette for my 1 x 11 setup which arrived today. Only it turns out they've actually sent me an M9001 cassette. From the limited info I have read it seems that this is a 3x specific cassette (though no details of what is actually different). Does anyone know what...
  18. J

Race Face Turbine cranks/chainring

I'm in the process of buying up bits for my new bike build and I'd originally planned on using the new XT 1x11 crankset and cassette. With this looking like it's going to be a bit later than I'd hoped in coming out I'm now looking at my other options, while trying not to go too far over budget...
  19. J

Hi all

New to the forum so wanted to say hello and introduce myself. Not new to MTB but a big gap in the middle so only just starting to get back on top of things again. Originally started out in the mid/late 90's in the UK with a Cannondale 3.0 frame and a lot of cobbled together bits. Was...