Hacks

Who are you?

• Total voters

brendonj

Likes Dirt
Crazy left field hack - not quite really bike related. One night had a plumbing incident with a very very old tap fitting and needed a square tool. No shops open, so I formed up a tool from part of an old steel bike frame. Did the trick.
IMG_2397.jpg

The reason I had the frame was a bought it for about $5 for and old and cheap shimano shifter to replace the fork lock out on a rockshox fork. I had a genuine lock out switch, but back then it was rubbish. It would stay locked or open, but would not hold anywhere in between. This worked much better.
IMG_2398.jpg

Last edited:

deano

Likes Dirt
I am obsessed with making crap for my bike, this is my BB tire plug tool. Held in by friction, knocked out with multi tool from other side. PVC pipe, various chainring bolts, washers, tap seal, cut up bread board, araldite. Plug and plug holder from dynaplug tool.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Bit of late night hacking, nothing quite as extravagant as some of the other posts on here, but a hack none the less....

I downloaded and printed the GMBN template (https://www.gmbn.com/imgs/gmbn_mudguard_a4.pdf) and slapped it on a piece of clear plastic (probably a little thicker than a soft drink bottle) that I found under a desk, cut it up and a few hole punches and all good!

front hack guard.jpg

Ideate

Bb tool holder is cool and that mud guard reminds me of a strippers heel. Won't be clear for long anyway ;)

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How would you know? Besides, I don't see any glitter and it prob doesn't smell of cigarettes and cheap perfume.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I swapped for a front mud guard that extends both forward and rearward, the stanchions stay a lot cleaner.

Ideate

Anyone made a homemade tamper to compact earth? Something like this..

tamper2.jpg

I think I'm going to make one but wanted some more inspiration.

Ideate

One half of an acroprop, 2-4 screws and square piece of timber has served us well for years. Similar to above but a bit more mass.
Good idea. Wish I had one lying around.. They're pretty expensive for something I could weld up.

Gave me another idea to use a stirrup but waste of time really. Might as well screw the wood directly together.

I think I'll just got buy some pipe and plate and get the mig out.

slowmick

38-39"
Go to a scrap metal yard and see if you can grab a length of galv water pipe. all of the weight is in the pipe. weld on a flat plate and hey presto. Dunny vent pipes in the 70's were made of ridiculously heavy pipe.

urallwrong

Likes Dirt
Rockshox Aluminium Bolt Saver

I've never been a big fan of tapping the aluminium lower fixing bolts on suspension forks and have had this kicking around the tool box as my remedy to a problem that didn't seem to bother anyone else.

A couple of old brake bosses from a frame or fork with a headset top cap giving you a little more real estate to smash. You will need 2 different sizes to plug into each other and the fork.
Not much help for you Fox owners.

Fork Tool.jpg

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I've never been a big fan of tapping the aluminium lower fixing bolts on suspension forks and have had this kicking around the tool box as my remedy to a problem that didn't seem to bother anyone else.

A couple of old brake bosses from a frame or fork with a headset top cap giving you a little more real estate to smash. You will need 2 different sizes to plug into each other and the fork.
Not much help for you Fox owners.

View attachment 340834

Nice.

Ive mangled more then a few nuts to the point I now use already mangled nuts. Should glue a deep socket to a nut

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
It doesn't help when you are trying to loosen the air side nut without depressurising the fork

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It doesn't help when you are trying to loosen the air side nut without depressurising the fork

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Presume you didnt go through with it as no confession. But if you decide to, recommend you keep eyes and fingers clear of soon to be moving parts!