05 Navara Opinions- decent deal?

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop

Kilometres 214253
Colour White
Transmission 6 speed Manual
Body 4 door 5 seat UTILITY
Drive Type 4X4
Engine 4 cylinder Diesel Intercooled Turbo 2.5L (2488cc)

haggled to Around 18k from dealer.

Pretty new to 4wds, but have been looking for a while now. Just wondering what thoughts the KNOWLEDGEABLE have on this rig? Kms worry me, but should they. Anywhere else I'd get a better deal?

Graunched

Likes Dirt
Couple of workmates just bought similar rigs albeit a couple of years older. That has quite high km's for the price...

Last edited:

j5ive

Yeah, it would suck to buy a 4x2 by mistake, almost went through on a Triton until a wtf went off.

Less Km's would be better, but just seems to be stuff all around?

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
18K for a car with 214Kay's on the clock? That would worry me... I generally stay away from car dealers....Does the sharkman offer a warranty/gurantee at all?

fairy1

Banned
The only bad thing I have heard about the manuals is that the boxes can die prematurely if you tow heavy loads but other than that they were supposed to be pretty good.

j5ive

Really, I also read that the clutches are shit. Hmm, I thought Navaras were fairly decent?

Anyways, theres some shady 3 year warranty.

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The navara doesn't have a lot of leg room. im no car expert, and dont know much about the motor or anything, and i wont pretend to know ( Cuase i dont )

but i do know they have a small amount of leg room. if you have a teenage son, be carefull, cuase i grew, and dad had to trade our navara in for a toyota aurion, so we would all fit.

thats all i got, other then that, dad loved is navara

l +Jarrod+ l

Likes Dirt
i wouldnt be paying more than 16500 for that. Have a look on car sales to get your head around some of the deals going round. Im looking for a navara dual cab st-r too. In 5 years thats alot of k's to clock up. They say 20,000 k's per year is average.

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The navara doesn't have a lot of leg room. im no car expert, and dont know much about the motor or anything, and i wont pretend to know ( Cuase i dont )

but i do know they have a small amount of leg room. if you have a teenage son, be carefull, cuase i grew, and dad had to trade our navara in for a toyota aurion, so we would all fit.

thats all i got, other then that, dad loved is navara

That is a D40 NOT a D22. The D22 is the short on leg room model. The D40 has one of the biggest cabs of all the 4 doors 4X4s.

The tray is also big enough to lay a MTB down in, a lot of other models don't have that much room.

I have a 2008 STX, have not had any problems with clutch like I have also heard. I had to have the whole common rail replaced under warranty.

Being a new style Diesel I would be worried about the Kilometers. They aren't the old thumpers of yesteryear.

$18000 is around the recommended trade in price so it probably isn't too bad.

Jon

Not Grip, OK... So don't ask!
J5ive has it right.
They are a good vehicle let down by a crap clutch. Although I would guess by 200K+ the clutch would have been replaced already. Still though, $18k plus change, tough life with the k's in the years

D40 Navs have a pushbutton tranfer case. Make sure all that shit is there and works properly before you progress any further. Does it start easily from cold, check the engine block temp before you try.

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
very high km's for a 5 year old truck
having said that, are they motorway miles? i car sitting at 80-90kmh for hours on end desn't put much wear on the engine and no wear on clutch, brakes, etc

still sounds expensive to me

check out the government auction sites

http://www.governmentauctions.com.au/
http://www.pickles.com.au/cars/auctions/ex-government/
http://www.manheimfowles.com.au/

IMO, modern Nissans are much better value than a simlar model Toyota, both new and used. well made reliable vehicles

by thay, you can get a brand new D22 (made in Japan unlike the D40's which are made in both Thailand and Spain) 4x4 2.5 CR DT for $30,888. which will have a 200,000km/5 year warranty
D22 is a bit smaller than the D40, still plenty room for 4, bit of a squeeze for 5 adults.
also has higher carrying capacity then the D40, carries over 1000kg

Spotty

Likes Dirt
That is a D40 NOT a D22. The D22 is the short on leg room model. The D40 has one of the biggest cabs of all the 4 doors 4X4s.
No Kurt youre right BOTH Navaras have not much leg rooom. (Dont know comfort but, we have landies!) Dads mate has the D40, and as you said the D22 is bad but theres shit all in the D40 as well. And the front seats are 1 metre wide!!! Seems nissan designed it for slighlty larger people... Other than that and to me, their looks, theyre alright.

Last edited:

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My uncle has a later model bravo - He is pretty happy with it, I dot think he has any particular whinges about it...Other than it being a whore in carparks.. But then again he lives at Dalgety..

If it says it's 'never' been off-road, does that mean the Low range has never been used? Liable to seize???

Adrian

Junkie (not the adrenalin type either)
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars...C07&keywords=&__No=15&SearchAction=N&__N=1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 412 900&PriceTo=412&__Ntx=mode matchallpartial&seot=1&__Nne=15&__Dx=mode matchany

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars...C07&keywords=&__No=30&SearchAction=N&__N=1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 412 900&PriceTo=412&__Ntx=mode matchallpartial&seot=1&__Nne=15&__Dx=mode matchany

Or a genuine rolux.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars...C07&keywords=&__No=45&SearchAction=N&__N=1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 412 900&PriceTo=412&__Ntx=mode matchallpartial&seot=1&__Nne=15&__Dx=mode matchany

???

Last edited:

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Are you planning on keep this car for sometime j5ive?

The Izuzu d-max are fantastic little trucks, however having only been around for a couple of years I think the oldest you will find is an 09 model from about $30k upwards.
Otherwise an older rodeo perhaps? I'm certain they used to run an Izuzu engine. I'm not sure what year however.

If you plan on having the vehicle for a few years I'd stay away from a Triton. Purely because the price for replacement parts is bullshit to say the least. At least if you buy genuine anyway. Not that the asian made gear is much cheaper. ($100 for a fucking cv boot or $110 for a rubber gearbox mount?)

From seeing a couple of friends Navara's they don't have great things to report. Both the 2.5 or 3( I can't recall) diesel engines went not long after 110k and 150k respectively as well as one gearbox. The warranty was not honoured in either situation and the gearbox was not replaced due to the car being driven off road. Have also seen a gentleman in the Brisbane area with a sticker on the back of his D22 saying how he's on his 3rd gearbox and 2 engine in 3 years...

Last edited:

j5ive

Thanks for looking Ado, none of your links work though?

Nearly bought an 04 rodeo today, but it fell through at the last minute. It was pretty spot on I think. 66k, t.d, canopy, snorkel, bull bar in great shape for 17k.

Its something I want to keep for a long time I think. Cheers again for the help, keep your eyes open :)