07 Intense

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seen this one. Text lifted straight from
WWW.mbaction.com

"eff Steber, Intense Cycles founder sent MBA a peep show of his latest creation—a lightweight downhill chassis called the “Socom FRO.” (FRO means “for racing only”) The frame and shock weigh 8 pounds, and it uses the Virtual Pivot Point suspension that now graces all Intense dual-suspension bikes. The prototype is outfitted with light-for-gravity-duty Easton wheels and a Manitou Revox shocks with a titanium spring. The fork is a dual-crown Travis, which needs no introduction. Rear wheel travel is posted at 8.5 inches.

The Socom Fro has been on the drawing boards at Intense for quite some time—in one form or another—and is the logical next step. Santa Cruz has secretly been outfitting its team with lighter versions of the V-10—and they are not alone. But there are other reasons for a more pedal-friendly gravity machine. Downhill racing opportunities are shrinking while resort parks are tailoring their slopes with man-made stunts and extreme natural-terrain trails to cater to freeriders and long-travel recreationists. The Socal FRO should be a weapon of choice for sponsored pros who need a faster-accelerating race bike, but we figure that most of them will end up under well-monied gravity junkies who shred for fun and may race on the occasional weekend. A bike like this promises to be way too much fun to carry a “racing only’ sticker.

Want more info? Give Intense a visit at www.intensecycles.com and keep an eye out for a test feature in the near future."

Attachments

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
FRO Spider

Not everyone here is Downhill orientated... Here is a little something else from Intense with there FRO (For Racing Only) program.

Taken from Duckman @ mtbr.com, who I believe got it off the Intense forums.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a pic of the first prototype for the FRO Spider, currently at 4.9 lbs w/shock. Look for this to get lighter. Made with ultra light custom Easton tubes, custom designed lightened CNC parts, limited production numbers. Price & availability to announced.

FRO "For Racing Only" a new line of offerings from Intense Cycles Inc. Limited production lightweight race frames, like the one offs the racers ride offered to the public.

The FRO series is designed to be light they will have a "limited" warranty and are not recommended for everyday riding and free ride type duty. If you are the type of rider that is hard on your bike (read breaks stuff regularly) then look somewhere else.
The FRO line will consist of: Socom, Lightweight Spider, Lightweight 5.5""

treggs

Treggs Tuned
I agree... Not a lot of difference at all. Now I know what my VP-Free will look like without any paint :eek:
Funnily anough the quote about lighter weight DH rigs is exactly why I built up a VP instead of a V10.

ScottD said:
mmmm more like a vp free if anything with a little bit of nomad chucked in

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr636
fark, thats a nice rig!
looks a lot like a sunday.

It looks so different to a sunday, i'll call it a wednesday.
*rolls behind desk to escape flame throwers!!!*
sorry i just thought the cross bar and seat reinforcment looked fairly sunday like.... oh, and the rear end....

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
damn cul that FRO spider looks awesome! i like the sound of the FRO series, but the socom a For-Racing-Only bike? i thought it was aimed more at the FR type of market, similar to the SC VP-Free? i would have thought the M3 would be more likely to be an FRO bike?

love the sound of a lightweight 5.5, too :cool:

kingroon

Likes Bikes
Cúl-Báire said:
Not everyone here is Downhill orientated... Here is a little something else from Intense with there FRO (For Racing Only) program.
Wow, thanks Cúl-Báire, that is one awesome frame.. When the ding makes it's way to the otherside of my Uzzi SLs downtube, this is where I'll be looking for my next XC frame I reckon..

projectsplat

The film guy
leitch said:
damn cul that FRO spider looks awesome! i like the sound of the FRO series, but the socom a For-Racing-Only bike? i thought it was aimed more at the FR type of market, similar to the SC VP-Free? i would have thought the M3 would be more likely to be an FRO bike?

love the sound of a lightweight 5.5, too :cool:
Sounds like Kovarik has had some influence on the marketing department over at Intense..... His hatred of huckers is pretty well documented, so creating a bike that is not for huckers ie. For Racing Only seems like a logical solution.

Nice bike by the way, but I would probably snap it in the first couple of rides....

Neildy

Likes Bikes
The SOCOM was designed to have:
1. Travel of an Uzzi VPX
2. Geometry of the M3
3. Weight of the 6.6

From MTBR, by Mr intense himself,

Socom, lightweight downhill race, pre production version. 8.5 inches travel with 9.5X3" shock. medium size @ 8.5 lbs with Uzzi style rear removeable 135 or 150 dropouts. In works finish. Bent seat tube version to get to 8.5 travel. Raced recently at Willingen Germany World Cup by Chris Kovarik to a podium finish of 5th place. Production shock: Fox DHXcoil5.0 Production/Pricing/Availability to be announced...soon.
Sizing: Small, Medium, Large

"The Socom is not at all like the Uzzi which is designed to be used for heavy duty free ride.

Because the FRO series is designed to be light they will have a "limited" warranty and are not recommended for everyday riding and free ride type duty. If you are the type of rider that is hard on your bike (read breaks stuff regularily) then look somewhere else."

projectsplat

The film guy
Neildy said:
From MTBR, by Mr intense himself......
I believe our own resident "Mr Intense" Cúl-Báire has already reported your post word for word on the previous page.....

It pays to read the thread before posting.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Neildy said:
The SOCOM was designed to have:
1. Travel of an Uzzi VPX
2. Geometry of the M3
3. Weight of the 6.6

From MTBR, by Mr intense himself...
fair enough, then! i really like the look of it

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
projectsplat said:
I believe our own resident "Mr Intense" Cúl-Báire has already reported your post word for word on the previous page.....

Not quiet- but the spiel about the warranty and such maybe....

For the record Cúl-Báire shall now be referred to as "Mr. TitusTi", the info on the Intense popped up as it's a weight weenie subject / matter for me. I actually love Titus Bikes a lot more :D It is a damn sweet looking bike however, most certainly spiked a fair bit of interest.

Neildy

Likes Bikes
projectsplat said:

He was talking about the FRO spider, not the SOCOM, but yes we did double up on the warranty bit. And the Mr Intense I was talking about was Jeff Steber.

Take your own advice, it's good advice.