'07 Iron Horse MkIII

Bacca

Likes Dirt
This is my trail bike. An upgraded 2007 Iron Horse MkIII Sport. It's a great aggressive XC/Trail bike.

The specs;

Frame: 5", dw-link
Fork: Marzocchi All Mountain 4, 140mm
Shock: Fox Float R
Headset: FSA Orbit Z Zerostack, 1 1/8"
Crankset: FSA Alpha Drive 170mm
Pedals: Crank Bros Smarty
Chain: SRAM PC-951
Cassette: SRAM PG-950, 11-34T
Front Derailleur: Sram X7
RearDerailleur: SRAM X7 Mid Cage
Shifter: SRAM X7 Triggers
Handlebar: FSA Carbon Pro, 660mm
Stem: FSA Carbon OS-190, 100mm
Grips: Imperial lock-ons with Bilt alloy end caps
Brakes: Avid Juicy 3, 6" rotors
Wheelset: Mavic Crossride Disc
Tyres: Maxxis High Rollers 2.35/2.1
Saddle: WTB Devo Thinline
Seatpost: Race Face Next Carbon 30mmx400mm
Weight: ??kg

Last edited:

BM Epic

Eats Squid
That thing looks gorgeous,and thats coming from a specialized epic rider,well done mate,keep her clean,and she will stay mean!

Hungie

Likes Dirt
Whooooaaaa! running some serious seat post there bacca :eek:. Very nice dude, you have gotta love the Iron Horse frame finish.

Bacca

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the feedback guys! It's good to hear positive things as it punches well above its price ($2650 all up so far).

Yes Hungie the post is big to allow for good pedalling room but keep the whippy 17" frame. And as you much as you want it to be it's not my 4x bike, who'd use one for that type of riding anyway...:rolleyes:

Mr. Fox the 2.35 60a and 2.1 eXCeption 62a work a treat. Great traction at a reasonable weight, the arse end breaks out first which I like and also I don't have to rotate tyres to get even tread wear.

Computers! :eek: This is my meditation bike! No distractions from the vibe wanted here!

Last edited:

Lorday

Eats Squid
That is one nice looking bike, love the carbon bits, makes the bike look awsome.

Nice bike. How do you find that tyre set-up?
On that topic
I am looking for measurment of you front tire (2.35), what I need to know (and would like to find out from you) are:

Measurment of widest tire ponit (side knob to side knob) and the hieght that measurement sits from the rim.

Bacca

Likes Dirt
Thanks again for the comments, I thought nobody would really be interested in these.

That is one nice looking bike, love the carbon bits, makes the bike look awsome.
On that topic

I am looking for measurment of you front tire (2.35), what I need to know (and would like to find out from you) are:

Measurment of widest tire ponit (side knob to side knob) and the hieght that measurement sits from the rim.
I'll let you know when I get back to Sydney

Bacca

Likes Dirt

Okay, with about 36psi in the front 2.35 it is 55mm from side knob to side knob and 49mm from the rim to where the first measurement was taken at (52mm to the top of the centre knobs).

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Great traction at a reasonable weight, the arse end breaks out first which I like and also I don't have to rotate tyres to get even tread wear.
Technically, you dont want to do that anyways. Max tread should be given to the front. You can recover a slippery rear end but front is really where the traction is needed. Otherwise it could end in tears.

I really like this set up though. Interested to see how the CrossRides go. I initially heard some unfavourable reports on them when they were somewhat new on the market (people ripping spokes etc) but I see more and more on more agressive rigs. Thinking twice about the 317 on DT set up...

Great work man!

Techno Fatigue

Likes Bikes
awesome bike aren't they? I have the same bike and its a thrill to ride. Plows through the rough stuff at Lysterfield with ease.

Bacca

Likes Dirt
AngoXC the Crossrides are great, they'll handle some agressive XC/Trail riding no problems but you should still be sympathetic to them, ie: go ahead and hit the rough stuff but be smooth.

awesome bike aren't they? I have the same bike and its a thrill to ride. Plows through the rough stuff at Lysterfield with ease.
This is why I went from a HT to a 5" dual. So I don't have to be careful on the rough crap and so I can have a bit more fun on the trail. I love how you can still easily hop around and over stuff on them as well too.

Weight: must not be to shabby
Will have to find out soon. It's definately feeling a bit more lively after the new bits.

orfeo

Likes Dirt
i'm planning my next bike and this is on the list, how does it handle skinnies, northshore and drops (say 2m or so). Also what about climbing? do you need to get above the front wheel to stop it raising?

Bacca

Likes Dirt
I'd have to say that I wouldn't be confident in the bike to regularly tackle heavier riding. Get the 6 Point if you want to go bigger as the MKIII's, whilst well built, are made for aggressive XC/Trail. I may have a different opinion if I had I more solid wheelset and a 20mm front end. At its current spec I'm sure it could handle it easily as long as you weren't a hefty lad, you were a smooth rider and you didn't give it a decent beating every ride. I've thought that If I had the chance again I'd have saved a little bit more and got the 6 Point 4 to have ultimate confidence but then I just think that if I feel like going a bigger I'll put the MKIII in the shed and pull out the Team DH for a bash.

As for climbing I put my weight around the neutral to slightly forward position to prevent both monos and wheel spin and smash hills with my power and stamina ;).

orfeo

Likes Dirt
thanks man, it's great to have first person knowledge on the bike so kudos, i think i'll have to get out and try all the trails around sydney and see just how big of a bike i need since i'm new to the sydney trails.

Bacca

Likes Dirt
Banged Up Horse

So I was absolutely pinning the old DH track at Ourimbah the other day with Hungie in close pursuit on his Goose. We were doing about 387km/h when all of a sudden a 10' tall killer roo from the 5th circle of hell jumps out of nowhere, pops up on it's tail and gives my Horse a malicious double kick to the front end. A fierce melee ensued and we were able to send the damned beast back from wence it came ;)

So as a result of all this I have discovered that Mavic Crossrides, whilst great for hammering and jumping straight, drifting around a bit and hitting small rock gardens etc with a smooth line, laterally they are not very stiff. The same can be said for the 140mm Marzocchi All Mountain 4.

No, the front wheel wash out mark just before that baby head and tree was already there :rolleyes:

So as a result, unfortunately, it's UPGRADE TIME! So far there's a Sun Ringle Charger QR wheelset on the way which consist of dirty flea hubs, DT comp spokes and SOS rims for about the $410 mark. The crossrides will have a new rim laced up to the front and will end up on my missus' Scott Reflex.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Impressive man! Rearrange your front end why dont you and blame it on the roo! Just have to add, looking back at the set up of your bike, it is an insanly tidy rig...