AM '07 Reign X1 build

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
Just started building up a play bike for something a little different to my trance and possibly a little faster for Enduro races. Picked up an old bog stock '07 Reign X1 in decent condition and at a hefty 17.1Kg. I'm hoping to get this fat bastard down to an uphillable 14.5 KG ish. So far ditching the old rear wheel, heavy old tyres, front derailleur, front shifter, chain rings, bars, and stem brought it down to 16kg so I think it might be achievable.

I've only spent a few hours riding this bike so far, and I haven't had much experience with long travel bikes in the past apart from some really old DH bikes many years ago and a specialized enduro 29er a few weeks back. I will say that descending on the rocky stuff is a heap of fun on this bike, to me it feels like you can just point and hang on over most things. Still takes a bit more work than the enduro 29er though. It climbs like a pig, too much pedal bob and i'm not used to the weight, I still try to climb the same stuff I would on the trance though.

I won't bother with the stock spec, so here's the main bits that are left stock

Frame: '07 Reign X1 black
Shock: Fox DHX 3.0 Coil
Fork: Fox Van 36 160mm coil
Seatpost: Easton something
Crankset: Ride DH

What I've done so far

Bars: Renthal fatbar lite 740mm
Stem: Truvativ AKA 70mm
Front derailleur: Nope
Front chain ring: Shimano deore
Front chain guard: Raceface
Rear cassette: Sram 9s
Rear derailleur: Sram X9
Chain guide: Ghetto spec
Wheelset: Stock front thing, using my old spare Giant P-XC2 on the back until the new wheelset arrives
Tyres: Kenda Nevegal 2.35 up front, Specialized Purgatory 2.3 rear
Grips: Cane creek I think
Brakes: Avid Elixir 5S 180 front, 160 rear
Pedals: Kona Jackshit (I normally ride on SPDs and now have an array of painful, evenly spaced puncture marks in my shin)

Getting swapped out tonight (Now installed and in pics below)

Chain ring: Wolf tooth 32t drop stop
Bash ring: Chromag
Rear derailleur: Shimano XT Shadow+
Chain: Shimano XT 10s
Shifter: Shimano SLX

Coming soon!

New wheelset being built, Stans Arch EX on Novatech hubs
Dropper seatpost
Air sprung rear shock to lose some weight, gain some adjustability and get a better pedalling platform
SLX crankset

Edit:
New wheel set has been built and hollowtech Deore (Thought they were going to be SLX) cranks installed. Now down to 15.2 kg.

Last edited:

my02

Likes Dirt
I reckon a nice set of 36 Float RC2s would be a great way to save weight and gain performance
:thumb:

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
1-1/8 head tube makes it hard to find forks now. Was thinking of getting a cane Creek EC44 and using a tapered fork, I think it might be possible on this frame.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
1-1/8 head tube makes it hard to find forks now. Was thinking of getting a cane Creek EC44 and using a tapered fork, I think it might be possible on this frame.
I'm not sure about that. It doesn't have a straight 44mm head tube, does it? I looked at trying to get a tapered fork in a frame designed for a straight 1 1/8, and no, can't be done. If it DOES have a 44mm straight head tube, yes, you can, and I am doing it on my Marley.

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
Haven't taken a measurement yet, but I thought I read that zero stack headsets are 44mm, pretty sure it's zero stack.

moorey

call me Mia
Haven't taken a measurement yet, but I thought I read that zero stack headsets are 44mm, pretty sure it's zero stack.

Are the bearing cups sort of on top and below the steerer, or are they down inside?

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
They're semi recessed, I think the bearings are fully recessed in the frame with only a small amount of the cup extending below.

moorey

call me Mia
They're semi recessed, I think the bearings are fully recessed in the frame with only a small amount of the cup extending below.

I dunno then, mate. I suggest you ask the brains trust (new thread time). I thought these only took a 1 1/8 fork. The faith had a 1.5 head tube in that year though.
The ones I've seen from around that period definitely looked like the smaller head tube, but I can't tell you anything more. Good luck.

moorey

call me Mia
Something just occurred to me. I used to have a Trance of that year. The headset was definitely internal. Whether it was 44mm thought, I can't remember, bet seriously doubt...but that's using my 'minds eye', comparing it to my Marley....:behindsofa:

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
Cheers Moorey, OD is 50mm, not useful to know without the wall thickness I know, but I can't really take a true measurement without pressing the lower cup out. The budget is blown for the time being anyhow. I think the rear shock is going to be the key at the moment anyhow, I think it really needs a pedal platform to stiffen the back up for climbing, climbs like a see saw at the moment.

DirtyDingo

Banned
Just get a 1 1/8 fork, the 2011 fox36 120/160 kashima is pretty good, I had it till few days ago (sold it)
It was a 1 1/8 steerer forks.
There are not many around, but worth chasing them on eBay and here on RB.
They are worth around $600, I've sold it to a mate for $400 bucks

If I find one or something somilar than I let you know!
Good luck!

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
Thanks dragon, i've been keeping my eyes out but haven't seen anything. Hard to swallow paying $600+ for a used set of forks that are a few years old and with unknown service history though, I bought my XX revelations new for about $600, one off bargain yes, but still.

Edit: Well how about that, TBSM have a new set of Fox 36 Talas 160s' in 1-1/8/20mm in stock. Shame, well out of budget.

Just get a 1 1/8 fork, the 2011 fox36 120/160 kashima is pretty good, I had it till few days ago (sold it)
It was a 1 1/8 steerer forks.
There are not many around, but worth chasing them on eBay and here on RB.
They are worth around $600, I've sold it to a mate for $400 bucks

If I find one or something somilar than I let you know!
Good luck!

Last edited:

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
Just started building up a play bike for something a little different to my trance and possibly a little faster for Enduro races. Picked up an old bog stock '07 Reign X1 in decent condition and at a hefty 17.1Kg. I'm hoping to get this fat bastard down to an uphillable 14.5 KG ish. So far ditching the old rear wheel, heavy old tyres, front derailleur, front shifter, chain rings, bars, and stem brought it down to 16kg so I think it might be achievable.

I've only spent a few hours riding this bike so far, and I haven't had much experience with long travel bikes in the past apart from some really old DH bikes many years ago and a specialized enduro 29er a few weeks back. I will say that descending on the rocky stuff is a heap of fun on this bike, to me it feels like you can just point and hang on over most things. Still takes a bit more work than the enduro 29er though. It climbs like a pig, too much pedal bob and i'm not used to the weight, I still try to climb the same stuff I would on the trance though.

I won't bother with the stock spec, so here's the main bits that are left stock

Frame: '07 Reign X1 black
Shock: Fox DHX 3.0 Coil
Fork: Fox Van 36 160mm coil
Seatpost: Easton something
Crankset: Ride DH

What I've done so far

Bars: Renthal fatbar lite 740mm
Front derailleur: Nope
Front chain ring: Shimano deore
Front chain guard: Raceface
Rear cassette: Sram 9s
Rear derailleur: Sram X9
Chain guide: Ghetto spec
Wheelset: Stock front thing, using my old spare Giant P-XC2 on the back until the new wheelset arrives
Tyres: Kenda Nevegal 2.35 up front, Specialized Purgatory 2.3 rear
Grips: Cane creek I think
Brakes: Avid Elixir 5S 180 front, 160 rear
Pedals: Kona Jackshit (I normally ride on SPDs and now have an array of painful, evenly spaced puncture marks in my shin)

Getting swapped out tonight (Now installed and in pics below)

Chain ring: Wolf tooth 32t drop stop
Rear derailleur: Shimano XT Shadow+
Chain: Shimano XT 10s
Shifter: Shimano SLX

Coming soon!

New wheelset being built, Stans Arch EX on Novatech hubs
Dropper seatpost
Air sprung rear shock to lose some weight, gain some adjustability and get a better pedalling platform
SLX crankset

Edit:
New wheel set has been built and hollowtech Deore (Thought they were going to be SLX) cranks installed. Now down to 15.2 kg.

Edit 24/5/14: Bike has had all the new gear fitted including a fox CTD kashima factory series remote, which will go to NSD for tuning soon. I'm not sure its worth spending much more on this bike. Spec now stands at:

Frame: 07' Giant reign X1
Forks: Fox Van R 160mm
Shock: Fox CTD kashima factory series using shifter for remote and fox 5 piece bushes
Wheelset: Hand built Stans ZTR arch EX with Novatech 20mm TA front, 10mm TA rear
Crank set: Deore hollowtech 2
Chainring: Wolf tooth 32t
Cassette: SRAM 11-36
Chain: Shimano XT
Rear mech: Shimano XT shadow plus medium cage
Bars: Rental fat bar lite 740mm
Brakes: Avid elixir 5 180 front, 160 rear
Shifter: SLX
Seat post: Easton EA50
Seat: WTB Laser V
Pedals: Giant alloy
Tyres: Kendall nevegal stick e 2.35 front, specialized purgatory control 2.3 rear
Weight: 14.7kg from 17.5kg