1.125 vs 1.5 (1 1/8 vs 1 1/2) or the hybrid tapered...

kgunzer

Likes Dirt
I'm a bit slow and I think this has been talked about before but what's the advantage of using 1 1/2 steerers vs the standard 1 1/8?

I got an upcoming project and apparently, head tube size is one of the deciding factor.

Ivan

Eats Squid
generally speaking,

A 1.5 inch steerer allows for a stronger frame and stiffer forks, but at the penalty of increased weight.

The tapered steerer is supposed to be the best weight/strength compromise between 1.125 and 1.5

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
A fatter headtube means more surface area to weld the top and down tubes to, which means stronger I guess. This also allows for different shaped and supposedly optimised tubing ... to reduce weight and increase strength.

A tapered headtube tries to compensate or compromise weight versus strength. So it allows for a tapered steerer and increased weld surface area for the down tube ... but reduces the associated weight at the top end.

The problem with tapered is that its again none standard with several cup sizes at the bottom eg the 2009 glory has a 49mm bottom cup (from memory) whilst the 2010/2011 has a 56mm bottom cup ... other brands have a 46 or 48mm

Whats the build Haggle King ??? heavy trail, or Light FR :p

Last edited:

kgunzer

Likes Dirt
Whats the build Haggle King ??? heavy trail, or Light FR :p
I just saw my mate's FR build nearing completion (just missing the single crown FR fork) and I don't intend to be outdone in maneuverability, not that I ride a lot of DH tracks anyway :D

Since I'm not a weight weenie (hell I could loose more weight physically first rather than have the bike compromise on strength), I think I'll go with a 1.5 all the way.

Remember Thunder One? In the drawing board is Thunder Two :D

Hope it doesn't get too taxing though. I love steak and Blue Tongue :excitement:

Ivan

Eats Squid
full 1.5" steerer seem to be heading for extinction, so just be sure you can get a stem that you like in 1.5" before buying your forks.

niki125

Likes Dirt
I wouldn't go 1.5, it's becoming obsolete with most fork manufacturers not making it any more. Tapered is fast becoming the standard.

I wouldn't go 1.5, it's becoming obsolete with most fork manufacturers not making it any more. Tapered is fast becoming the standard.
To clarify: A 1.5" FRAME will allow you to run any fork, 1.5, 1-1/8 or tapered, all you need is a matching headset. So no, 1.5" frames are not becoming obsolete, in fact they are the most versatile, with a small weight penalty.

What you probably meant is: don't buy a 1.5" fork.

niki125

Likes Dirt
Easy champ. 1 1/8, 1.5 and tapered all refer to the steerer tube of the fork not the head tube diameter so technically 1.5 is dead:p

But yeah,that's what I was getting at, bikes designed to have 1.5 top and bottom are the most versatile.

What I'm worried about is things like Giant's 1.25 over-drive tapered 'standard'. Bloody PITA!!!

kgunzer

Likes Dirt
Can't sleep... excitement anxiety?

If Giant re-design's their Maestro System, I might consider that in the Glory frame running despite their head tube wackiness.

But until then, probably just the Reign or the STP.

floody

Wheel size expert
Anything will work for your application, just avoid a straight 1.5 steerer as its a very limiting setup (few headsets and stems). Besides I think apart from maaaaybe a Totem you'd be hard pressed to find a current fork with a 1.5 steerer.